321 Studios releases XPRESS v2.5.0

Written by Petteri Pyyny (Google+) @ 05 Jun 2003 14:53 User comments (27)

321 Studios has released first major update to their DVD to DVD-/+R transcoding tool DVD X Copy XPRESS. The new version, XPRESS v2.5.0 fixes bunch of bugs and also introduces a new feature called TDF files that is definately something worth a look.
Anyway, the changelog from v2.0.1 to v2.5.0 is here:
  • Driver installation and un-installation has been enhanced.
  • DVD X Copy XPRESS now has TDF file support.
  • TDF files will auto load if found in the TDF subfolder of XPRESS when the movie is inserted.
  • Some subtitle errors have been corrected.
  • The 1337 error has been researched and corrected.
  • DVD X Copy XPRESS will now check to make sure you have enough free space in your temp folder.
  • The reading has been improved.
  • You can now set custom Audio Sound when reading and writing is complete, (refer to FAQ for information).
  • New Start Menu shortcuts for support and TDF file Information.

And now to explain the TDF file a bit more in detail. It stands for Title Definition Format and is basically a file that contains "instructions" for XPRESS on how to backup a specific movie. Its meant to overcome problems that users have with movies that have been authored (the process of studio making the DVD-Video disc) incorrectly or in some bizarre way that XPRESS can't handle itself (i.e. you can't select the main movie or if you select it, the resulting backed up movie wont be in full or contains parts of extras, etc). 321 Studios will issue TDF files if necessary, for titles that users have requested them for. The requests should be done via DVD X Copy's official discussion forums and already issued TDF files can be found from here.

The new version of XPRESS can be downloaded from here.

More information: Official DVD X Copy & XPRESS forums

15.6.2003 17:22

Should be interesting to see if the XPress TDF files will be compatible/interchangeable with the yet-to-be Platinum version, which will also support TDF files. Jeff (321_Q/A) has said that Platinum will utilize TDF files but be more 'robust'. (I'm not certain if he was referring to the program or the tdf files themselves).

25.6.2003 20:47

My hopes for Xpress2.5 are more modest. I'm hoping enhancements will fix periodic freezes/pauses I experienced in Xpress2.0 in every DVD produced. And until the basic programming of Xpress is stablized, and I hope 2.5 addresses this, TDF files are only steam-heated doorknobs on the automobile of dvd copy programming. In addition, the program still lacks the option of allowing users to choose burn speeds. Using PIO mode to force DVDs to burn at 1x is no substitute for providing a option, found in such programs as Nero, of allowing the user to select burn speeds via software and not tinkering with Windows system settings. Besides the above, the XCopy forum oft-repeated suggestion that users of the program purchase a new dvd player to make produced dvd copies in Xpress viewable in their living rooms does not speak well to backward dvd player compatibility, and is arguably a needless expense for many users. Finally, users have also reported difficulties with working with "the right" ASPI layer and instabilities in the burning engines in both DXC and Xpress, to name only two major issues. One can only hope this version of Xpress is more successful for its users than its predecessor's predecessor (Xpress 2.0). Time, and users' input will render the final verdict.

35.6.2003 22:20

Robguy: I hear your anger. I too, as of late, have experienced a similar problem, but only for a totally unrelated reason. Recently, my dvd burner has died. It died slowly. (The laser is 'gone'.) My DXCXpress burns exhibited the very same characteristics that you describe, almost without exception. (freezing/pausing). Also, even worse -- intermittent sputtering -- sometimes my standalone set-top Sony player would JUMP chapters - either to an earlier or later chapter. But you know? Before I took a hammer to the old dvd burner, I also used it with DVD-Decrypter; DVD-Shrink, Ifo-Edit, and I can't remember what-all-else, and I _still_ got the same freezing and pausing problems that you describe, with *those* programs as well. However, before my burner died (I am going to get a new one shortly, I hope), I made a number of flawless DXC Xpress backups. (For example, the *three* hour classic movie "Sound Of Music" plays smoothly and _perfectly_ from start to finish on just one disc). So, I cannot with any honesty say that XPress was/is at fault, and I won't know until my new burner arrives. Steam-heated doorknobs on the automobile of dvd copy programming. ??? No, I don't think so; not at all. I believe that future TDF files are going to help a lot of people. In fact, as soon as I get my new burner, I will be very anxious to try them out, even if I don't need them. DVD manufacturers are SO goddamned screwy with their menus (deliberately and inadvertantly), that I do believe 321 studios will have something to lose if their specific TDF files don't work with any specific dvd title. Have Faith !!!! -- Mike --

46.6.2003 4:03
VetteZr

If you guys are having so many problems with this program that you have to purchase, why not go to programs that are totally free & work every time?

56.6.2003 8:49
frstrated

I am having a problem with the software not recognizing the blank media and then starting the burn. This has been a long topic on the forum but 321 is noticably silent on the issue. After about 20 minutes on hold for tech support I was told that v 2.5 would solve everything. Amazingly enough the problem persists exactly as before. I have not seen that v2.5 fixed anything that I was having a problem with. Now, try to actually get 321 to respond to their money back guarantee.

66.6.2003 12:33

VetteZr: If you are aware of the pot of gold that lies at the end of the rainbow (programs that are totally free and work every time), you must tell me about it immediately !!!! (No, I'm not talking about making vcds). -- Klingy --

76.6.2003 19:01

Hey fellas...Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with playing their burned DVDs or a DVD player? The movie works fine when playing it on the PC, but I rather see it on the big screen. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions... -InoseI

87.6.2003 5:59

Inosel: If your DVDs play on the PC but not on your DVD player, it's probably because your DVD player can't play DVD-R/DVD+R discs. Check the manual for your DVD player to see the type of media it can play. I had the same problem until I replaced my DVD player with a newer model. My old DVD player also did not play any copied CDs I made.

97.6.2003 8:58
jeftam3

I THINK AM GOING TO STICK WITH DVD X COPY TWO DISC WHO CARES,SAVING MONEY IS NOT A ISSUE HERE JUST BACKING UP THE DISC IS. I WOULD LIKE TO TRY DVD X COPY XPRESS.BUT READING ALL YOU GUYS REPORTS I THINK I WILL STICK TO THE DVD X COPY. BY THE WAY I DOWNLOADED THE TRIAL VERSION OF DVD X COPY XPRESS AND IT DIDN'T EVEN WORK. WHERE DID I GO WRONG THE ONLY THING I GOT WAS THE TITLE SCREEN THAT SAID ( DVD BACK-UP) THAT WAS IT. SO YOU GUYS HELPED ME OUT ALOT NOT TO BUY THE DVD X COPY XPRESS. THANKS

107.6.2003 15:27

We are pleased you like the original flavour, but please, DONT SHOUT :-) Paul.

I'm back...
...can't you smell the fear?

117.6.2003 19:34
jawin

I don't understand all the problems you people have. Either you don't have your system set up properly or you don't know how to work the program. I downloaded DVD X Copy Xpress. It worked perfectly for me. As a matter of fact, I use it almost exclusively because I don't like no need the trailers etc. that comes with the movies. I am using the Pioneer A05 with Win 2000. Initially I purchased the 4X Pioneer blanks as I thought they would be perfect for my burner. I had terrible results with them. When I played the movies back, I had dropouts on the audio and periodically had problems with the video such as "tearing". Consequently, I decided to try another brand of blank. I purchased a cakebox of 15 TDKs from Circuit City and have no further problems. They were, however, only 2X but it cured my problem so far. I was using version 2.0.1. So I'm the latest version 2.5.0 will enchance the burning process.

jawin

127.6.2003 19:39
jawin

By the way, I MAKE SURE I don't have any TSRs running in the background and I also dump almost everything in the system tray before I start burning.

jawin

139.6.2003 11:06
laglazer

XPress 2.5 works fine. I'm using XP Professional on a P-4 2.5ghz. When I was using it previously on an AMD 750mhz, it would occasionally fail. I suggest using RW's(I learned the hard way), so that you can make a mistake and not get burned in the pocket. My burner is a SOny 500 and I use a no-name DVD RW(K-Hypermedia). I did notice that on "Carlitos Way," may scene changes hung a bit before transitioning. Any thoughts?

149.6.2003 21:54
Bluenote

Xpress is by far the easiest, least complicated and fastest program out there. However, regardless of which ripper you use( I have used them all) it is important to allocate specific drive space to the program software. By doing this you eliminate many headaches of conflicting software...I suggest the following. Re-partition your drive, Split drive into 3 partitions. You will be "installing 2 operating sys and using the "3rd drive" for storage space. Use first OS for every program you need (except DVDXpress) Use 2nd drive for DVDXPRESS and a Player. Important Do not clutter this drive keep it simple. MAke sure to direct the temp(working) folder to your storage drive. ......Keep burning.,

Bluenote

1510.6.2003 1:57
fliss

I HAVE A SONY DRU-500AX AND I HAVE TRIED EVERY PACKAGE POSSIBLE BUT NONE WORK NERO SAYS DVD COMPLIANCE TEST FAILED. CAN ANY ONE HELP PLEASE I HAVE WASTED LOAD OF BLANK DISCS THANKS

1610.6.2003 7:52

Hi laglazer! Laglazer Sez: My burner is a Sony 500... I too am contemplating the Sony DRU-500UL (or 500AX). Has you burner given you pretty good results? Any (many) coasters? Have you tried both types of media? (-R/W and +R/W)? My old burner's dead and I am looking around for a replacement. I am <kinda> spoiled now with the simple USB external plug-in types, but I wouldn't walk away from a good internal IDE unit either. The Sony 500 has been replaced by a model 510 now. Heard anything about that one? Is your Sony an internal or external? Much obliged. -- Mike --

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jun 2003 @ 7:55

1710.6.2003 10:06
Conrad

A_Klingon s**t, d**n, I just sold my Sony 500A for US150.00 to my son, because I couldn't think of anyone else looking for one. I upgraded to the Sony 500AX and had absolutely no problems with either one, either on -R/RW or +R/RW. If I get a bug up my rear to upgrade to the 510 shortly I'll let you know.

Rag Tag 24 and Chief Moderator

1810.6.2003 10:35

Conrad: LOL !!!!! Oh yes!, I coulda done better than $150US. <gg> Just bad timing, my friend. I'm delighted the unit is working so well for you. I feel positive about either the 500 or 510, either external or internal. (Maybe we should ask the admins if they would be willing to host a member-only classified ads section! :) -- Mike --

1910.6.2003 10:51
Conrad

A_Klingon This Forum seems to have everything else in it except a Classified Ads section. Heck, I think I even came across an Obituary section in here someplace. You could call it AD-bay for AfterDawn-bay. Not a bad idea. Regards, Conrad

Rag Tag 24 and Chief Moderator

2010.6.2003 11:41

Hey! That's a *terrific* idea! ( I like it! "A/D-Bay. Quality new and used software/hardware at *unbeatable* prices. Member's-only Forum" Way Cool! Here locally, we have a short weekly newspaper called "Bargain Hunter's Press". The ads are run free of charge for a couple of weeks. If no buyers appear, then the ad is quietly retired.(Although you can always renew). If a sale is made, the paper gets a tiny percentage of the sale price. It's actually a very good (economical) way to advertise, and net you a fair price for your merchandise. Maybe the admins could take note!! -- Klingy --

2110.6.2003 12:06
Conrad

A_Klingon This thread is getting way off topic, but what the heck.. you've got 'whiskers' so to speak so you can do anything you want. lol. Even delete your own thread if you get out of line. Seriously though, I think the idea is great. Restrict it to Members only like you said so you don't end up with every Tom, Dick and Sue linking their web pages on the forum thread. Why don't you run it by Petteri?

Rag Tag 24 and Chief Moderator

2210.6.2003 12:29

(Yep) It would very likely have to have a few built-in safeguards, (that's why it would be members-only), but Petteri's pretty good at coding the board's software. If a member engaged in any kind of fraud, he could easily be banned. Either a small portion of each sale could go to A/D, or a small, one-time fee for the ad could be made by (say) pay-pal or something. And you're right about the indiscriminate third-party linking. That would have to be controlled. But if it were a members-only thing, we could hardly rip-off or cheat another members, because we'd have each other to contend with (and back us up as well), and banning would be swift and furious for frauds/scams. -- Mike --

2310.6.2003 13:15
Conrad

Mike, I think a small one time fee via Pay-Pal per single item listing would be easier to administer. Let it run for 30 days and if not sold would just be retired. In other words pay a nominal fee and get exposure for whatever you're trying to sell for a month. Let the transaction between seller/buyer be handled by PM between the parties. Wow, I'm getting fired up about this. Even if third parties want to link a web site Afterdawn will still get the fee per link per month.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jun 2003 @ 13:29

2411.6.2003 7:46

<heh-heh> Actually, I haven't run this idea past Lasse, Jari or Petteri because I suspect that they may have (at one time) considered it. Whenever an idea like this comes along, I can see poor Petteri's brow all furrowed with worry (understandable) about possible problems, backlashes, scams & fraud, etc. The classified-ad idea could have unfortunate repercussions if a Noobie member logged on (registered with A/D) solely to make a fast buck, then ripped the members off, (because he had no intention of staying a member after he got his money anyway). I can see too, members, in good faith, sending their hard-earned money to another, only to receive nothing in return. (Or sending their merchandise and receiving nothing for it). Having said that...., certain safeguards could be put into place. Every potential advertiser would have to be an A/D member in good standing; each would have to agree to an A/D disclaimer that the risk would ultimately have to be accepted by the purchaser if they never got paid; all members would have to provide FULL snail-mail address (no p.o. box numbers!), home phone number and email address to A/D for their records prior to the ad being published, etc. etc. As you may know, though, people tear each other to pieces in just a simple chat forum because someone didn't like what someone else said, or rubbed them the wrong way (or whatever), so you can imagine the outrage if somebody actually got stiffed for (say) $200. Tricky to say the least. (But I must admit, I sure woulda been interested in your Sony 500). -- Klingy --

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Jun 2003 @ 7:52

2513.6.2003 5:18
Conrad

Klingy, Been tosin' this idea around in my head the last few days, checking into trying to protect seller/buyer/AfterDawn. UPS has a C.O.D. service, but that is only within Canada, or within the US and I think within some European countries. Maybe a separate registration just for the A/D-Bay part requiring, as you said, personal info. Maybe even a credit card/Pay-Pal account requirement. I don't know, but I DO think it's a good idea. As far as the Sony, I haven't felt that "bug" yet, but if I do you will be the first to know and thank you for your interest in it. As far as I feel about it and what I've read/heard about the Sony and every other burner out there it's the most stable drive there is. Regards, Conrad

Rag Tag 24 and Chief Moderator

2613.6.2003 9:59

Conrad (hi). Right now I'm in a <sortof> doghouse. Didn't want you think I was ignoring you. I'll be "off" for another couple of weeks, but I will see you then. -- Mike --

275.12.2003 3:50

i am new to the whole back up dvd process but i did make a good copy with one dvd rom with express but after i make the copy and try to get dvd x copy to read the copy so i can burn off that one it wont and i heard the copy will read and burn faster since its been decoded already is this true and how do i get it to copy the copy

duane washington