128kbps Extension public listening test

Written by Lasse Penttinen @ 23 Jul 2003 15:37 User comments (5)

128kbps Extension public listening test The RareWares are continuing their series of extensive listening comparison of lossy audio codecs.
Building on the AAC at 128kbps test results, this test is meant to compare the AAC winner (QuickTime) against other popular compression formats: Musepack, Vorbis, WMA Pro and MP3
It's purpose is to find what encoder outputs the best quality on bitrates around 128kbps

The encoders and parameters tested are:
  • Apple QuickTime 6.3 MP4 encoder 128kbps high quality
  • LAME MP3 Encoder 3.90.3 --alt-preset 128
  • Musepack 1.14 --quality 4 --xlevel
  • Ogg Vorbis 1.0 post-CVS -q 4.25
  • Windows Media Audio v9 PRO bitrate-managed 2-pass VBR 128kbps
  • Visit RareWares to participate!

124.7.2003 4:58

Can I play, Lasse? Can I play???? [ducking.......] <gg>

224.7.2003 18:54

(softly singing)... 'Nobody knows the trouble I've seen'.....'Swing low, sweet char-i-o-ot; coming for to carry me home...' (Prison/Inmate songs, harmonica brandished)-- a/D DogHouse Dogma. Been there, done that. Oh Ye of little faith, Lasse!!!! Since you're terribly afraid of me, could I ask Roberto if it's 'ok' to take the test? (I am a very very nice person. Rjamorim, have you (umm.....) 'forgiven' me yet for being a total toadstool? (I hope so). Lasse doesn't say very much to me anymore, even though I think the world of him. Just wondering. -- Your a/D friend, Mike.

324.7.2003 19:00

lol

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jul 2003 @ 4:59

426.7.2003 23:53

(Hmmmmm)..... I guess 'teasing' him won't do any good, Chris. (Oh, he 'sees' me alright). I need to dangle a carrot on the end of the stick or something. I've never actually gone "fishing for a mod" before -- maybe it just takes the right bait or something (??) (Nah..... too much to do at home here right now.) Maybe later. :=)

529.7.2003 13:08

I am supprised that they did not stick a sample where the are voices in stereo (seperate voices on left & right), e.g. a Billy Joel song. Most codecs handle instruments very well these days with one singer, but can really make a mess of multiple singers particularily seperated from left to right, e.g. WMA9 2-pass VBR on Billy Joel - The River of Dreams.