ATI to display 512MB video graphics card at Texas Gaming Festival

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 23 Feb 2005 13:51 User comments (17)

ATI to display 512MB video graphics card at Texas Gaming Festival At the Texas Gaming Festival in Dallas this weekend, gamers will be allowed to preview the worlds first 512MB gaming card and one lucky gamer will go home with one. The specifics of the card itself however are not mentioned in the press release. Along with three days of top-notch gaming, the event will also include an overclocking demonstration and a PC modding event.
"Participating in events like this gives us the opportunity to find out what gamers want and need for competitive gaming," said Rich Heye, Vice President and GM, Desktop Discrete Products, ATI. "And to say thanks for supporting ATI, we are giving attendees at this event an opportunity to check out the world's first 512MB gaming cards before we send them out to our software partners for development of next-generation games."

It is not yet known when the new card will officially go on sale.

Source:
ATi Press Release

123.2.2005 15:30

Hot damn. That will be one lucky gamer.

223.2.2005 17:28

can you imagine running a couple of these side by side?

323.2.2005 19:04

They don't MAKE games yet that utilize 512mb. Hell, I still think 256mb is overkill. Unless you're running high screen resolutions on a 19" monitor, you will not benefit. Go on, waste your money as find out for yourselves..

423.2.2005 19:06

ATI left out the part about the fan being as loud as a hair dryer.

523.2.2005 19:25

I've never really like ATI. They phase out features with newer drivers, and they have crappy customer support. nVidia all the way!

623.2.2005 20:30

512 MB, wow, pretty soon system ram will be mooching from video ram.... heh. "Yeah I've got shared graphics ram."

724.2.2005 4:55
lopies

Well I run my games at 1600x1200 so i think it could benefit me. Can wait to see the rest of the specs.

824.2.2005 4:57
lopies

I'm also hoping they someone will release a water cooled version of some these cards.

924.2.2005 5:43
jj666

I subscribe to the view pointed out by climbhigh, 512 is serious overkill and a complete waste of money for most people who find 1024x768 is a perfectly adequate resolution for gaming......

1024.2.2005 6:11

Actually, Doom 3 is made to run PROPERLY on a 512MB graphics card. This has been known for sometime. :) Hopefully I can get a hold of one of these by about Christmas.. Lol, that maybe a long ways away but, at the rate the X800 Series cards sold it would be no suprise if I couldn't get one until then anyway (not to mention the price tag!). Peace, Pop Smith

1124.2.2005 6:11
pfh

Guess ATI is attempting a temporary answer to Nvidia's SLI setups.

1224.2.2005 7:51

Why would they need a bigger fan if all they do is add more memory? That's the only thing we know about the card.

1324.2.2005 8:40

UT 2004 runs so much smoother and faster on-line when you preload all player skins, but you have to have 512MB RAM to be able to do that... I have a 1G so it works out great for me.

1424.2.2005 16:51

oh shit i stay in dallas

1524.2.2005 18:36

@Wheelman7

I have a 1G so it works out great for me.
How is this possible? I know Alienware has there own version of SLI that can be used with ANY cards, ATI included. But, if they don't have 512MB cards out yet, how did you get 4 256MB cards to sync as one?

1625.2.2005 12:43

I meant I only have 1G of regular ram, not a 1G graphics card. Sorry for the confusion

1728.2.2005 14:50

Its cool, congrats on that 1GB Ram, I know it makes a big difference in gaming and most applications :D