Wal-Mart enters movie download business

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 06 Feb 2007 8:40 User comments (14)

Wal-Mart enters movie download business Retail giant Wal-Mart introduced a test version of its new download service for movies and TV shows. Powered by technology from Hewlett-Packard, Wal-Mart's service is the first to be launched with the backing of all the major Hollywood studios. This puts the retail giant in direct competition with Apple's iTunes.
The service, which is available on Wal-Mart's website, lets users download and keep major Hollywood movies, as well as TV content. The company claims that over 3,000 films from studios like 20th Century Fox, Disney, Lions Gate, MGM, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. are already available.

Downloads are priced between $1.96 per TV episode to $19.88 for a new movie. New movie releases will be available for download on the same date as DVD release.

Source:
Reuters

16.2.2007 10:31

Is it just me, or is $19.88 a really high price tag for a compressed video file? I could get the actual DVD for five dollars less. What's the incentive? Aren't other download services offering movies for $10?

26.2.2007 10:47

Originally posted by squidge37:
It's definitely not just you. Now if it were 1080p playable on any device of my choosing, $19.88 might be just about bearable.

36.2.2007 11:36

$20 for a compressed video file is just ridiculous. If I want something of lesser quality I'll stick to torrenting my movies, Wal-Mart, thank you very much.

46.2.2007 11:39
bkf

Small selection, Prices a bit high, and naturally the one thing these places all have in commen. "Can't burn" Seems they have a real problem getting that concept out of their heads. They won't last long.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Feb 2007 @ 11:44

56.2.2007 12:26

way too high

66.2.2007 13:03

They want us to pay more for inferior quality and no packaging ha ha ha!

76.2.2007 13:41

I hope Wal-mart takes down iTunes. Either way though I'll never use any of those stupid services.

86.2.2007 15:57

you can just buy a movie for 10 or 15 bucks, rip it and then play it or put it on a ipod or psp or just put it in the DAMN DVD TRAY ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!

97.2.2007 4:16

Your right...no incentive what so ever.

In my opinion, they should make it $5, because with less quality, no packaging and the fact that some dvds contain bonus discs. All you are paying for are like the bargain bin ones that you see in Walmart.

If they really want to make a killing, have a price tier:

Normal quality-$5
High quality-$10 (for HD)
Bonus DVD-$1

*You all get the idea*

They should consider this...it isn't like they have access to the newest movies, only those released on DVD. If that is the case, you might as well drop the price like they do in the big bargain bins in the middle of the electronics isle.

If you think about it, when you buy a movie at Walmart, it always comes with a FREE bonus disc. Something a little extra to keep the experience enjoyable. No sense in charging outlandish prices for something you would like/don't want for your d/l.

V

107.2.2007 4:18
bkf

Originally posted by andy409:
Ok Andy your right (even though I don't think your going to find many $10 movies except in the junk bin. So my question is What is the difference....Except for the ripping part. You might as well rip a rental. My point being it can be done one way or another so why is the burning not allowed from a legal paied for downloaded movie. The undoing of so many other download services. Keep telling the people what they can't do and you know where it will end up then no one gets anything. It only takes one.

117.2.2007 21:07
moocowgal

Maybe there's something that I just don't get about this or maybe my mind works differently from the average consumer, but whichever way you slice it, I just can't picture myself paying that kind of money for a movie that I'd have to have my whole family crashing on my super single waterbed to watch on my computer monitor. lol

128.2.2007 2:14
bkf

Originally posted by moocowgal:
This is why it will fail like so many other things. They may as well not bother doing it at all.

1310.2.2007 2:27

Wal-Mart will not make any ground on Itunes based on those prices set. Also the price that they set on the movie download the consumer is better off going to the shops and buying the actual disc without the headaches.

1410.2.2007 15:07

So WalMart is gonna offer downloadable movies? Why, so they can censor the graphic content? $19.88 is a high price to pay for a "cleaned" version of a movie such as "The Departed".

Latest news

Intel announces: First commercial 5G modem in development Intel announces: First commercial 5G modem in development (20 Nov 2017 16:46)
The world's second largest semiconductor manufacturer, Intel, has announced a major project in mobile chips. The company has introduced a future portfolio for commercial 5G modems. According ....
1 user comment
CCleaner becomes adware, here's how to avoid Avast ads CCleaner becomes adware, here's how to avoid Avast ads (20 Nov 2017 13:00)
One of the more popular Windows cleanup tools, CCleaner, has added Avast ads on to their software. After being acquired by Avast, CCleaner wants you to install the virus protection suite along ....
Tesla's power pack charges your phone like a Supercharger Tesla's power pack charges your phone like a Supercharger (18 Nov 2017 13:25)
Tesla announced yesterday two incredible products that are due in two or three years. However, you might not have the money, nor the interest, to buy either Tesla Semi or Roadster, but there ....
Apple's newest product misses the entire holiday season, hits the stores in early 2018 Apple's newest product misses the entire holiday season, hits the stores in early 2018 (18 Nov 2017 12:20)
Apple has decided to push back one of the products originally revealed nearly 6 months ago in WWDC. The smart speaker, dubbed HomePod, has been delayed further and won't be seen in stores this ....
1 user comment
Tesla unveils two new vehicles, electric semi and super-fast new Roadster Tesla unveils two new vehicles, electric semi and super-fast new Roadster (17 Nov 2017 10:53)
Tesla has today announced two new vehicle prototypes that will bring the total number of Tesla cars, and now trucks, to six. As expected Tesla unveiled their "beastly" semi-truck the first time ....
1 user comment