BenQ exits DVD recorder market

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 03 Mar 2007 17:49 User comments (11)

BenQ exits DVD recorder market BenQ has reportedly withdrawn from the DVD recorder market. The company's website has been changed, with all DVD recorders removed, and it has informed retailers that it is no longer selling the products. Disappointing sales was the main reason behind BenQ's decision. Since prices have dropped, BenQ has as decided to drop the segment when adjusting its product structure.
The company will decide whether or not to enter the Blu-ray or HD DVD recorder market based on market demand. Back in 2003, it established Philips BenQ Digital Storage (PBDS), a joint venture with Royal Philips Electronics, and in January 2005, announced a 400GB hard-disc DVD recorder.

Source:
DigiTimes

13.3.2007 18:10

Say goodbye to a company that arguably made some of the finest DVD burners around. I will cherish my DW1620.

23.3.2007 18:18

I second.

34.3.2007 3:22

Oh man..........

I dont know why they had to take this decision..........

I've got a DW 1650, It's simply awsome!

BenQ was probably an underdog, People don't know about the company's strengths !

Well what can we do about it, I hope they at least support the customes by providing firmware updates and software updates.

44.3.2007 3:58

get used to it..... it's business....... with DVD burners dropping down prices it's no longer feasible to produce a product that doesn't make money for the company. BenQ will be remembered by many as one of the best burners that were available! I have a rebadged 1620 and a 1655 and love them both and are still going strong. My only fear is the media market.... as it goes from DVD to HD-DVD the newer disks that will be made won't have firmware updated from BenQ for it's drives. Sooner or later the market will change to newer media.... then I'll have to think about another brand of burners .... until then I'm a happy camper.

54.3.2007 4:13

I had 2 BENQ DVD-Burners and they were both crap. The first one was DOA, and the 2nd one (which I got in exchange for the dead one) died a couple days after I brought it home as well.

I also had a 19" BENQ LCD that was an utter disappointment which I exchanged for a Samsung.

So, needless to say, I'm not going to miss BENQ, and wouldn't have purchased anything else of theirs after my experiences anyway.

64.3.2007 6:05

I got the 1670 , it burns like nobody's business... makes cheap media
look great!

74.3.2007 10:26
webe123

Originally posted by subpopz:

Well that may just be YOU....but I and countless others have only had GOOD things from BenQ.

84.3.2007 16:36

what are you guys on about? They are dropping DVD RECORDERS not BURNERS ie. the dvd players that plug into your tv and record shows on to dvd. I just looked around their website and the burners are still there (under storage). The recorders are no longer listed.

94.3.2007 16:55

That was just me. I think I said in my post that just I had problems and I wasn't going to miss them. Don't be so quick to jump on the brand-name defensive - I never said anything about anyone else, just my own experience.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Mar 2007 @ 16:57

1010.3.2007 3:04

So long, BenQ. It was a nice run. Thanks for the memories. I'll probably retire my trusty 1655 and keep it boxed up like a classic '57 Chevy, take it out every now and then for a weekend spin (burn).

1110.3.2007 3:27

I will continue to use my two 1650s for many blanks to come.