Support for Firefox 1.5 to end in April

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 21 Mar 2007 10:08 User comments (9)

Support for Firefox 1.5 to end in April Mozilla, the creators of the open source browser Firefox have recently announced that they will stop support for their 1.5.0.x browser and ask all users to upgrade to the 2.0 series. The exact date given for the end of support is April 24th 2007.
Mozilla has slowly been cutting off updates to Firefox 1.5 and that is very obvious in the last update (1.5.0.11, in which all that was included was a patch for the browser's FTP protocol.)

This decision could be a bit rash, because many users and especially businesses still use 1.5 and like to test the stability of an updated browser before upgrading.

I will still be using 1.5 as I feel 2.0 is bloatware.

Source:
Xtreme-Source

121.3.2007 11:25
natony

Firefox 2.0 doesn't even work on my computer for some reason :( There is a bug with the GUI.

221.3.2007 13:37

I really like 2.0 over 1.5 but really 1.5 is FF,if they dont like it people will still download it else where and talk abotu it on their forums...

321.3.2007 16:10

Lol, I didn't even know that 1.5 was separate from 2.0! I thought that 1.5 was upgraded to 2.0. I honestly can't really tell the difference. Maybe because my computer can easily handle it?

421.3.2007 16:16

Originally posted by escalante:
1.5 looks different add ons were exstentions and it dose not have spell checking.

522.3.2007 3:25

I like the look of FF 1.5 better than the shiney look of 2.0

622.3.2007 3:32

I agree with the look of the app, but 2.0 is head and shoulders above the rest, including its own 1.5 version.

722.3.2007 3:40

Originally posted by SProdigy:
AS long as they don't ban 1.5 convos in their forums it will thrive well.

823.3.2007 6:46

Hmm. My distro only offers 1.5.0.7 through synaptic. There is 2.0.0.3 out I believe but I'd have to install it from an RPM or source and that could have an effect on my setup. By all accounts 2.0.0.3 for linux is prone to crashes and bloated. When I used it (ffox 2) on xp it felt different. Tagged browsing is different. The first day I was deleting tabs by mistake and there was a bookmarking bug - it wouldn't save any.
As my distro is in the middle of a big upgrade I'll see what is on the upgrade depository but I'm quite happy staying with 1.5. This is a shame that support is being discontinued.

925.3.2007 1:15

That's a pity. Version 2 was nothing really more than a version to have because Microsoft were having one.
I was under the impression that 1.5 was going to be supported until version 3 was released. Probably partly as a form of apology for version 2 ;-)

Oh well, I guess I'll be using an unsupported browser for a while....