Wii outselling PlayStation 3 two-to-one in Japan

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 04 Apr 2007 11:20 User comments (14)

Wii outselling PlayStation 3 two-to-one in Japan In the latest figures released by the company Enterbrain it is revealed that in Japan the Nintendo Wii is outselling Sony's PlayStation 3 two to one.
Bloomberg news reported that approximetely 2 million Wii consoles have been sold in Japan since its launch on December 2 while only 812,000 PS3 units have been sold since it went on sale on November 11th.

Although that is a large gap, it seems that the sales gap is narrowing as time moves on. In January, the company Media Create reported that the ration of Wii sales compared to PS3 sales was 4-to-1.

Japanese sales figures for the Xbox 360 were not released but in general sales fail to top four figures according to Enterbrain.

Source:
Gamesindustry.biz

14.4.2007 11:45

Thats the true story right there the gap has closed.

24.4.2007 11:48

whats with all the stats? pretty soon they'll be posting them in the newspaper next to baseball.

34.4.2007 11:55

haha i hear ya, SmoothD

44.4.2007 11:59

"the gap has closed" lmfao!!!
I'm all about all the systems, but come on you can't seriously expect P$3 to catch up. The gap went from 4-1 to 2-1. $ony has a long way to go before the gap is closed.
I can't wait till prices drop, Wii will probably continue to outsell all systems period. Who needs expensive graphics when you can have cheap fun?

54.4.2007 13:04
vinny13

Nintendo is almost always at the top of the sales chart. Their prices are always cheap. I'm going to get a Wii too, but after i get a PS3.

And I'll get an Xbox when Live is free(pfft that'll be the day). I don't want to pay for Live if all I'm going to play are fps games.

64.4.2007 14:49

no surprise the wii sell fast

74.4.2007 22:57

well japans econimy aint in the best of shape so I dont see the PS3 saleing godly even with the 50$ knock off on the premium,I love how sony plays this game the Japs get it the cheapest,the US gets it at 50$ and the rest of the world gets a 50-300$ spike in price....

85.4.2007 0:45
Ludikhris

Which Japan are you talking about? The one on planet Earth has a fine economy at the moment. We were just talking about it in my international business class.

95.4.2007 1:15

Originally posted by Ludikhris:

Theyve been on a delince last I heard,while better than the US and the UK its a decline none the less.

I wonder how the PS3 glut will change when the PS3 gains momentum.

105.4.2007 1:20

cmon sony reps, n fanboys defend this one! lol!

115.4.2007 1:26

Originally posted by akkuma:
cmon sony reps, n fanboys defend this one! lol!
I have a feelign once the PS3 gains momentum the used consoles will sale for 50-70$ of retail (unlike the current 50-150).

the only trouble is when will the PS3 gain momentum I dont see it starting till Xmas 08 0-o

125.4.2007 11:58

I just find this hilarious, the M$ marketing machine is able to get all the fanboys they want in the US and Europe but the Japanese just ignore them.

135.4.2007 15:59

LMAO....That is so true that why i feel that lead they got on console race is closing quick because if you can't sell good in one of the biggest markets your doom.

cmon sony reps, n fanboys defend this one! lol!
Read it again it said that the gap has closed so whats to defend?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Apr 2007 @ 16:01

147.4.2007 10:24
diableria

itd take an idiot to buy a ps3 right now considering 90% of its available games suck and its very expensive, xbox 360 offers way more and offers a ridiculous amount of interesting games, ill buy a ps3 when its cheap and theres at least 50 interesting games probably in 4 years