28 per cent of U.S. homes have a HDTV

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 15 Apr 2007 19:24 User comments (11)

28 per cent of U.S. homes have a HDTV According to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), the group which organizes the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, over one quarter of homes in the United States now have a high-definition TV set. Approximately 35 million HDTVs are in American homes today, accounting for about 28 per cent, and according to the trade group, the figure is set to grow by another 16 million by the end of the year.
Of those who own a HDTV set, the CEA claims that 86 per cent say they are "highly satisfied" with their TV. Last year, Frank N. Magid Associates reported that only about 15% of households had an HDTV, but projected that number would climb rapidly. The increasing amount of HD content being made available is giving consumers more incentive to invest in a HD display.

Source:
TG Daily

115.4.2007 20:36

still need five more years

215.4.2007 23:20

ya but how many of them use the compont connection,how many have HDMI how many use it for HDef just because you have it don't mean you fully use it and allot of the older Hdef Tvs can only handle basic newer Hdef thus its going to need more time I dunno 5-10 years sounds about right the only way to effectively get the consumer attention is to offer it cheaper that and the shifting/growing/changing standards make it about 10 years to turely replace current "non" Hdef and gen 1-2 Hdef TVs

316.4.2007 2:03
hughjars

Hmmm, not even a third in the USA, that's not so good for people looking to cash in on the HD bandwagon.

Here in Europe the number is far far more tiny too.

Years to go in this one IMO.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Apr 2007 @ 2:04

416.4.2007 2:56

Originally posted by hughjars:

Here in Europe the number is far far more tiny too.

Years to go in this one IMO.
ya 5-10 years sounds allot more reasonable.

516.4.2007 7:33

Would be nice if 28% of my cable channels were HD...

Better yet, of the HD channels, I do have, I wish 28% of their programming were HD!

616.4.2007 10:21

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Would be nice if 28% of my cable channels were HD...

thats funny! Yeah milllions have these sets but the progrmaming needs to catch up fast. I should be watching every Basketball/baseball game in HD. I can' wait till the day when all channels are HD - even infomercials!!

716.4.2007 11:11

You will soon see Cable and Satellite providers providing/selling down converters for those who do not have a HDTV. I know Comcast, Dish Network, and DirectTV all have the this in the works to provide their customers downconverting boxes for Non HD Sets. The time has come where enough people have HD sets and the Cable/Satellite companies are ready to move forward.

816.4.2007 15:52

It's going to take more than five years cause only 7 channle is high def. Seriouly i don't see the difference between tube tv and high def. High def looks better but not that impressive to pay extra $15 bucks for cable box.

916.4.2007 17:00

Originally posted by rihgt682:

I don't know where you live or what kind of service you have, rihgt682 but ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, The CW are all broadcasting in High Def. I get all those (except the CW Network) and other channels like ESPN1, ESPN2, Discovery, A&E, TNT, NFL, FOOD, Home and Garden, National Geographic, HBO, SHOTime, Cinemax, and bunch of networks on the Voom network all in High Def and there is huge difference in picture quality. Since I have a dual tuner I have tested it with Picture in Picture and noticed a difference. Maybe you just watched on a crappy TV because there is a definate difference depending on the brand/model tv one chooses. I have an uncle that bought a cheap GE HDTV and has the same Dishnetwork I do and his TV is no where near as clear as mine.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Apr 2007 @ 17:13

1016.4.2007 20:55

I would also need another five years before i would invest in HDTV.

1116.4.2007 23:21

i dont believe it. no way. these numbers are manipulated.