Nintendo aims to sell 300 million Wii and DS software units

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 29 Apr 2007 19:46 User comments (5)

Nintendo aims to sell 300 million Wii and DS software units Nintendo Co. Ltd. has set a goal to double its combined annual Wii and DS software sales to about 300 million units. The Japanese video game maker did not give any time frame to reach this goal. "As a mid-term target it would be appropriate for us to establish a market in which we can sell about 300 million units of DS and Wii software," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told a news conference in Osaka.
Nintendo recently announced a 77.2% increase in profits helped by the overwhelming success of its Wii console and the DS handheld. In the year to March, Nintendo managed to sell 5.84 million Wii units, just barely missing its target. The company now hopes to sell 14 million Wii consoles in fiscal 2007/8.

Source:
Reuters

129.4.2007 19:57

thats great however you'll have to prove it before I believe it,in all I think the WII will sale strong for what it is a fun yet underpowered console if they knock the price down some more that would help.

currently the GC has sold 21M and the GBA 79M the DS is working on 40M yes M for million and yes world wide says wiki so combining the GBA and GC you barely get 100M I dont see how Nin can sell 300 WII/DS units in 5 years I just don't see it I can see them selling 30-60M WIIs and 50-90DS's in 5 years but thats still under 120M....they didn't hire ken Kutaragi did they? LOL

(BTW fix my numbers if I is off...zippy cant add well :X )

229.4.2007 21:14
Ludikhris

Hey chief.... they said "software". I also love the part where they say "it's combined Wii and DS software sales" then say "they did not give a timeline"... um annual? so like... end of the year? I found this article kinda funny, but Nintendo should be able to pull this off. I estimate they will have over 50million hardware units combined by the end of year and each person needs to buy 6 games. Well, they may get that as an average, but it will be tough. I think they can do it.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Apr 2007 @ 21:15

329.4.2007 21:25

....oy.......I need a new brain ><

in terms of software that should be reasonable number.

430.4.2007 15:00

Originally posted by ZIppyDSM:

(BTW fix my numbers if I is off...zippy cant add well :X )
Read the headline, it says SOFTWARE not hardware.

51.5.2007 0:15

Wow that was a lot of units. They still missed out. I wonder what their goal was if they just missed it.