Using an antenna for HDTV

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 29 Apr 2007 19:13 User comments (18)

Using an antenna for HDTV For some people, the idea of using a $50 antenna along with an LCD or Plamsa HD display that cost thousands of dollars makes little or no sense. However, it appears that in some areas, it is the perfect solution. Some local TV channels broadcast in HD over-the-air. Depending on signal and other factors, sometimes cable and satellite companies offer lesser quality due to compression on the signals.
"Eighty-year-old technology is being redesigned and rejiggered to deliver the best picture quality," said Richard Schneider, president of Antennas Direct. "It's an interesting irony." Schneider started producing antennas in his garage some years back and sold them from the trunk of his car. Now his company employs 7 people and did $1.4 million in sales last year.

"People thought I was nuts. They were laughing at me when I told them I was starting an antenna company," Schneider said. TV stations still broadcast analog signals and most now transmit HD digital signals as well. Getting a proper digital signal from an antenna will result in excellent picture quality, according to Steve Wilson, principal analyst for consumer electronics at ABI Research.

"You either get it or you don't," said Dale Cripps, founder and co-publisher of HDTV Magazine. "Some people can receive it with rabbit ears, it depends where you are." Viewers within 25 miles of a station's broadcast tower can rely on indoor antennas according to Schneider, whereas outdoor antenna will grab a signal from up to 70 miles away depending on in-between interference.

Source:
Yahoo (AP)

129.4.2007 22:17
MichaelP1

i love my rooftop antenna the HD channels look amazing being there in NO comperssion compare to cable or satellite plus its free!!

230.4.2007 3:27

My HDTV has an antenna built into it. Since the signals are sent digitally all that matters is the tv can recieve a signal, unlike analog antennas where the tv must recieve a very strong and clear signal to look good.

330.4.2007 5:26

Love my RCA ZHDTV1 indoor antenna. Works awesome and pulls in an amazing digital picture and sound.

430.4.2007 7:31

I love the quality on my HD with out the direct tv hooked in on the HD stations. They look like you can touch whats on tv.

530.4.2007 8:08

the hd compression sucks on some cable providers, its not HD if its only clear in still scenes and blocky as hell in action scenes and scenes changes. they really need to fix that, thats one of the reasons i have not yet bought an HD tv. its basically not even hd at that point, why pay more?

630.4.2007 13:01

This is soo true. We used to live around the corner to where we live now and our digital box played well with no problems. Now we live around the corner and near a cop shop and our signal is not even there for a digital signal. So we have the box sitting there. We plan to move in the next few weeks after this long shocking year here.

730.4.2007 16:40
gmasi

I bought an HD antenna from them. Its a 50 mile HD boom antenna. I live in Brooklyn right over the river to Manhattan. I pointed it straight to the Empire State and GM building off my rooftop. My Signal strength is 100% even in stormy and windy weather. I get a clear HD picture. Wow those Sunday HD Baseball Games on FOX look so good.
Channels I get:
HD CBS, HD news 4, HD ABC, HD PBS. I dont pay a penny.
HD Shows: Law & Order, Heroes, Desp House Wives, CSI Miami, 24,
Grey Annatomy and More.

Best $60 dollars ever spent.

My friend has Optimum HD box in Yonkers. It was such a hassle looking for HD channels, and they did not look as great. When he saw my Signal he was like Holy S%^&%&^ WOW.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Apr 2007 @ 16:44

830.4.2007 17:15

You're an idiot borhan9.

930.4.2007 21:08

[quote]You're an idiot borhan9.
I agree with whoever said that. You are planning to move so you can watch more TV??? Why not just get one of those antenna like they mention in the article? Tip: Read more Afterdawn, watch less TV.[/quote]lol

I am not moving cause of TV reception. I was just relating back to the article at hand. I am not that shallow. :) Do i hear a 3rd ;)???

101.5.2007 2:28

I have a 50 dollar Radio Shack powered antenna in my bedroom attached to my DirecTV HDDVR. I am able to get all stations except ABC requires the antenna to be adjusted (there is a remote to change the antenna direction inside its disc). I do find the picture is sharper off the air than DirecTV HD, so I record all my HDTV from local channels off the air except ABC which I get off DirecTV.

111.5.2007 7:23

are there any HD fta sat feeds?

124.5.2007 21:09

I tried all matter of antennas.

I got the HDTV Wonder from ATI. It came with an "TERK" style none amp indor antenna. I got two stations from San Francisco that night, and I live in Sacramento. Well that was that night and could never repeat that experience.

Over time my ablity to get stations continued to decline. I tried a generic amped antenna, an external 20db amp, two antennas with combiner for multiple direction recieption. I tried a $50 Rat Shack Terk amp antenna... I could never get a clean view of all my local channels, never mind my first impression getting stations from San Francisco.

Well I gave up and got from Rat Shack, an 82" boom antenna. I did it. I get everything local now. No tweeking, everything is 100%... But still no S.F. stations.

134.5.2007 21:15
MichaelP1

yeah go as big as you can with a rotator

145.5.2007 5:05

I love it..."it doesn't cost me a dime!" That's the way TV is supposed to be.

155.5.2007 5:58
hughjars

Sadly in the UK we don't have 'free-to-air' terrestiral HD TV broadcasting.
Everything is currently dependent on cable or satellite feeds.

Even when they switch off all of our analogue broadcasting nationwide (it'll be done in stages ending around around 2012) there is no guarantee that any of the freed-up bandwidth will go towards free-to-air terrestrial broadcasts.

We have seen the BBC apparantly confirm a 'free' satellite serice (which will obviously require a not-so-free set top box and dish -

There is a campaign in the UK for 'HD for all' if anyone is interested; you can find the website here -

165.5.2007 21:20
escoot

I bought the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950, added an indoor RS rabbit ears antenna. With this setup I get all of the local HD channels. The picture and sound is better than the cable setup I have running on my Gateway desk computer. The setup of the HD tuner on my notebook was simple and works flawless. My only complaint iS that the HCW 950 has mono sound only. Escoot

176.5.2007 5:21

I have an older TV a Mitsubishi 65809 with HD but no internal HD tuner.

I live 4-5 miles from the local cluster of station towers so reception will not be a problem :)

WHat is a good set top box to use to convert the signal ??

1810.5.2007 7:22

I have a big screen older Hitatchi HD-Ready, just recently bought LG DVD/VCR player recorder combo with HD tuner built ($250.00 Best buy) in now I get free HD chanels. Could be your solution for older tv's?