PSPs to get video and voice calls as well as messaging

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 May 2007 15:09 User comments (17)

PSPs to get video and voice calls as well as messaging Sony has signed a four yeal contract with VoIP company BT that would bring video and voice calls as well as messaging to Sony's handheld, the PSP.
Using BT's technology, PSP users will be able to communicate using wireless internet for now. The companies say they are working on PC, mobile phone, and fixed line integration for the future.

"The PSP is an excellent device for both gaming and communications because of its high quality screen and audio capabilities," offered Steve Andrews, chief of mobility and convergence for BT.

"With over 8 million PSPs shipped across Europe, we are very excited by the opportunity to give customers a whole new communications experience, connecting and seeing friends across the world through BT's technology."

Sony also added that the service will begin in the UK, and then move to other regions.

"The opportunity to combine our market leading expertise with BT's knowledge in communications opens up many possibilities and we look forward to bringing many exciting functions to PSP fans,"
commented David Reeves, president of Sony Europe.

Source:
GI.biz

123.5.2007 15:49
gmasi

Useless to me!!! ...I live in the US

223.5.2007 17:22

Great for me...I live in the UK lol

323.5.2007 17:22

y cant BT be in USA also, its a great concept

423.5.2007 17:34

sony will probably strike a deal w/ an american viop company soon

523.5.2007 17:37

If it takes off, well I'm quite sure the US will be fairly soon to adopt the feature...

623.5.2007 17:55

I'd like a built in messenger service. Perhaps Trillian on PSP?

723.5.2007 19:12

Ugh, why cant these things just play games like they were designed to and nothing else??!!!

823.5.2007 19:44

Originally posted by limelight:
So you wouldn't like to get the most out of your money ?

923.5.2007 19:54

Why not a homebrew capable version of Skype? I bet it could be done.

1023.5.2007 21:58
pigfister

so this service will not be free and likely to cost around the same stupidly high rates that yahoo with bt messenger is charged at. when will ppl realise that Skype credits cost less than half the bt charge rates, ppl are so dumb, must be all the flashing lights and gimmick adverts! :-(

if you are in the uk you can use adsl with bt "incoming calls only" to reduce the cost of line rental then use Skype for all your telephone calls!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 May 2007 @ 7:44

1124.5.2007 4:23

Can't wait to see Nintendo's answer to this, since a digital mic has been in the works for the DS for a long time, not to mention, they have one built in... the web browser is also on it's way to the States...

1224.5.2007 5:38

Too me this is kinda pointless to try and make the psps into either a mobile phone device or one that is similar to the blackberry.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 May 2007 @ 5:39

1324.5.2007 13:09

Well first off BT is one of the leading VoipS in the industry, but if Sony brings it to the US, they need to stay away from vonage, they going bankrupt says my stiock broker.

1424.5.2007 13:37
pigfister

Originally posted by mastorj:
hmm sry but msn and yahoo, were doing this way before BT, and lets not all forget Skype. BT are just jumping on the bandwagon so they can try to control it and start their price fixing across the board. BT is a rip off service in the uk and has no potential to advance this service just restrict it and turn the once free service into another courporate money spinner!

bt were continually fined by Oftel for obstructing llu unbundling and their unfair business practices, not exactly a company you want to rely on now is it!

1525.5.2007 8:57
scott2k7

this just lets hope we dont have to pay and i already have msn on my pc with a built in mic so who really wants this

162.6.2007 7:48

I does not say how much this will cost. If I don't have a BT account will I be able to have this on my PSP? If I travel to France and Italy (which I often do) will I be still able to have "roaming" there?

172.6.2007 7:49
scott2k7

well wait and see how much it costs