AfterDawn: Tech news

Disney introduces new CD format

Written by Rich Fiscus (Google+) @ 19 Jul 2007 21:08 User comments (13)

Disney introduces new CD format Disney owned Hollywood Records is hoping to boost CD sales by introducing a new format they're calling CDVU+ (pronounced CD View Plus) which includes content which can be downloaded from the internet. The content will include song lyrics and band photos.
Hollywood Records senior vice president of marketing Ken Bunt says "We really believe if you're going to give consumers what they want, we should do it in a way they're used to." Given the number of websites that already provide free lyrics and pictures, though, it remains to be seen if consumers will consider these "extras" worth paying for.

U.S. CD sales were down nearly 20 percent in the first half of 2007, at least partly due to ever increasing competition from video games, new home video formats, and downloadable media.

Instead of trying to breathe new life into the aging CD format, it might be wise for big entertainment companies to put their research and development funding into a viable replacement. With Disney already backing Blu-ray for hi-def video, a format which supports audio far superior to CD, that might be a good starting point.

Source: Reuters

Previous Next  

13 user comments

119.7.2007 22:48
webe123
Inactive

Let's see how much DRM they put into it....THAT will tell if it will fail or not!

219.7.2007 23:45

...WTF???

320.7.2007 1:23
theridges
Inactive

Quote:
U.S. CD sales were down nearly 20 percent in the first half of 2007, at least partly due to ever increasing competition from video games, new home video formats, and downloadable media.
and dont forget the shitty music that is being released ;)

420.7.2007 5:06

CD sales are down because artists release 1-3 good quality songs per album and expect to sell. Also, songs like chicken noodle soup just are not very creative.

520.7.2007 7:29

Quote:
With Disney already backing Blu-ray for hi-def video, a format which supports audio far superior to CD, that might be a good starting point.

That is overkill! Is DVD-Audio not good enough??

620.7.2007 10:57

Cant they just pour their cash into something useful like:

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010423S0113

720.7.2007 11:14

JUst listened to r kelly's new album and thank god i didnt waste any money on it. Maybe if they released better movie.

820.7.2007 11:55

Quote:

and dont forget the shitty music that is being released ;)

hahaha
good reason

921.7.2007 18:34

Why the heck would anyone need another crappy (as it seems) format?

Quote:
Hollywood Records senior vice president of marketing Ken Bunt says "We really believe if you're going to give consumers what they want, we should do it in a way they're used to." Given the number of websites that already provide free lyrics and pictures, though, it remains to be seen if consumers will consider these "extras" worth paying for. [\quote]So,if I get it,you will charge us more for being able to retrieve the content you are talking about automatically?No,I prefer the CDs and me...searching.That sounds like no additional cost to me.

1021.7.2007 18:44

-Corrected Post-

Why the heck would anyone need another crappy (as it seems) format?

Quote:
Hollywood Records senior vice president of marketing Ken Bunt says "We really believe if you're going to give consumers what they want, we should do it in a way they're used to." Given the number of websites that already provide free lyrics and pictures, though, it remains to be seen if consumers will consider these "extras" worth paying for.
So,if I get it,you will charge us more for being able to retrieve the content you are talking about automatically?No,I prefer the CDs and me...searching.That sounds like no additional cost to me.

1123.7.2007 3:15

It is nuts to see a new format but this is cause they wanna look at a cheap way to add to a CD without going straight to DVD. I felt a few CD's i have seen in the past like albums and singles have had video clips on it so this is not new to me :)

123.8.2007 15:17

DVD audio are you kidding if you put 20 or 30 tracks on 1 disc it would be 20 or 40 dollars!!

1316.8.2007 15:52

@ZIppyDSM

It would be more than that if the RIAA has anything to say about it.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive