Netflix promises more movies for its streaming service

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 12 Aug 2007 19:36 User comments (8)

Netflix promises more movies for its streaming service In a fierce battle with Blockbuster that seems to be ever heating up, Netflix has promised more "Watch Now" streaming movies to be included with their service plans.
Netflix has been running ads promoting “5 movies for $5”, meaning subscribers of its $4.99 plan will now have two DVD rentals and 3 online movies a month via the Watch Now streaming service.

Blockbuster however, has made changes to its Total Access that have confused both subscribers and employees alike. Apparently, if you use the service alot, then you can get free unlimited instore exchanges but if you do not then the service is more expensive.

Blockbuster spokesman Randy Hargrove wouldn’t say exactly which subscribers are being affected “for competitive reasons,” revealing only, “We’re trying to match subscribers with the plan that seems to best fit their needs based on their rental history.”

Source:
Video Business

112.8.2007 20:14

I say Blockbuster, go fuck yourself if you really cared about our needs you wouldn't need to confuse people let alone your own employees =/...

213.8.2007 4:53
OhCrap

If you don't like it, switch to the other service.

I'm sure a lot of people switched to BB when they started doing this in store exchange thing and no late fees. But now since they're doing this crap it is just as easy to switch back to netflix.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Aug 2007 @ 5:19

313.8.2007 6:40

If netflix could make the streaming service work entirly within the browser withoit having to install their player, this woudl be more popular. When I'm at home, I'd rather watch the actual disc, but when I'm at work, I've got time to throw a movie on in the background, but the computers there are locked down so I can't install the Netflix viewer.

413.8.2007 8:32

Originally posted by OhCrap:
If you don't like it, switch to the other service.

That's why I have cancelled my subscription! NO MORE in store rentals and +1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon.

Subscription PlanRe-SubscribeYour current plan...BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium $17.99 / month (plus taxes)
3 at-a-time, unlimited mailings
unlimited in-store free movie/discounted game exchanges
+1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month Next Billing Date: N/A (CANCELLED has of TODAY) Netflix I'm Back!

513.8.2007 21:15

I'm dropping Blockbuster, too, but I'm not happy with Netflix's ridiculous DRM or its crappy online selection, either (I belong to both). If I rent and download a movie from Netflix, what are the odds I'm going to rent it again? If I like it that much I'll probably buy it. So why not let us keep the download as long as we like? They made their money. Stupid and shortsighted.

614.8.2007 9:02

Originally posted by mspurloc:

However, one huge drawback to Netflix is the wait time. If a new release comes out I'll have to wait a month or more to get it. It seems they just don't stock enough copies. I still haven't recieved the Borat bonus material disk!!!
And that came out months ago!

717.8.2007 19:03

Netflix and Blockbuster remind me of Itchy and Scratchy from the simpsons they go at each other like anything until one or both of them destroy each other.

817.8.2007 20:24

*If you mean the DRM on streaming media there is already an easy workaround(actually mentioned here at AD). And if you mean the DRM on rental disks I've never had a problem using RipIt4me to copy them,*

Yeah, I know, but that's not really the point, because how long will that last. They're already plugging the FairUse4WM and Mirakagi holes.