AfterDawn: Tech news

19 new Universities receive RIAA letters

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 18 Oct 2007 20:57 User comments (16)

19 new Universities receive RIAA letters The RIAA has continued its ongoing efforts to curb piracy on college campuses by sending 411 new "pre-litigation" letters with the threat of a lawsuit to 19 seperate schools.
The letters were sent to each of the following schools; Drexel, Indiana, Northern Illinois, Occidental College, SUNY Morrisville, Texas Christian University, Tufts, the University of Alabama, UC Berkeley, University of Delaware, University of Georgia, University of Iowa, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, University of New Hampshire, University of New Mexico, University of South Florida, USC, and Vanderbilt.

Anyone who receives the letters have the option to either settle out of court with a record industry representative or face a lawsuit in federal court.

"While it's undoubtedly our last preference to bring legal action against students, music theft remains particularly acute on college campuses," general counsel Steven Marks said.

The RIAA also cites an NPD study conducted last year that claims that over 1.3 billion unauthorized songs were downloaded on college campuses and that over 50 percent of all students continue to illegally download music.

Source:
BetaNews

Previous Next  

16 user comments

118.10.2007 21:13
WierdName
Inactive

Quote:
While it's undoubtedly our last preference to bring legal action against students...
Ya, right. *rolls eyes*

218.10.2007 22:19

Think I will burn a few discographies (RIAA artists only) onto dual layers (w/sleeves), then insert said dual layers into about 50 random high school lockers. Content will be different for every DVD.

318.10.2007 23:11

when u see the little guy get hit like this from the big bad riaa it really makes u want to find ways to steal from the record industry to prove a point...

419.10.2007 1:51

riaa = big bad neighborhood bully
Tanya Anderson = bullied victim who fought back.

Have you ever seen the bully get punched in the nose? Pay attenetion it's about to happen!

519.10.2007 10:54

It's nice that the RIAA is going after some of the poorest people in America.

619.10.2007 15:36
PetahG
Inactive

Wow, is all I have to say about this..RIAA all I can say is you can never stop piracy, no matter what, it will always exist, and what I say always, a person who downloads songs, would have never bought the cd anyways. You Riaa bastards make like billions anyways so stop bothring average ppl

719.10.2007 16:44

First off, is USC Southern California or South Carolina. Not that it matters but if you are going to write a news article it shouldn't be vague like that. But to my thoughts, I've been in dorms and student housing resently (I don't live there but know people that do) and most people don't even bother with the internet, they just get together and everyone pitches in a couple bucks and buy a CD or movie and everyone makes a copy and anyone else who comes by gets a copy. Before to long there are stacks of burned cds and copied movies in everyones dorms.

819.10.2007 18:27
Kerpalguy
Inactive

How true! It's the 'I'll show them bastards' effect. RIAA will never learn and will sooner or later succumb to their ignorance and greed.


Originally posted by b18bek9:
when u see the little guy get hit like this from the big bad riaa it really makes u want to find ways to steal from the record industry to prove a point...

919.10.2007 19:52

Originally posted by PetahG:
Wow, is all I have to say about this..RIAA all I can say is you can never stop piracy, no matter what, it will always exist, and what I say always, a person who downloads songs, would have never bought the cd anyways. You Riaa bastards make like billions anyways so stop bothring average ppl
picture this 1 million songs downloaded that means 1 million dollars loss (itunes price) but if piracy wouldn't exist probably 200 000 songs would have been bought and that's it ppl sharing itunes acount probably so they still woulnd't make money so what's the big deal anyway?

1120.10.2007 15:52

there massing. not getting enought money going after individules so there going after schools. one person downloads you all get the fine deal. its pathitic really. But there globleizing and there going to enforce something on the wrong country... im just waitng for it to happen...

1221.10.2007 4:22

The RIAA is so low they now must take money from educational budgets to fund there million dollar mansions, Bently Coupe, 5 car garage, hummer, Mercedes, and so forth.

1321.10.2007 7:26

Originally posted by wetsparks:
First off, is USC Southern California or South Carolina. Not that it matters but if you are going to write a news article it shouldn't be vague like that. But to my thoughts, I've been in dorms and student housing resently (I don't live there but know people that do) and most people don't even bother with the internet, they just get together and everyone pitches in a couple bucks and buy a CD or movie and everyone makes a copy and anyone else who comes by gets a copy. Before to long there are stacks of burned cds and copied movies in everyones dorms.
Yeah, there was no file sharing when I was in college. But you make friends and check out their music collection, and make copies of what you like. That's just how its always been. It's called sharing. It's probably been going on since the cassette recorder.

1423.10.2007 17:47

I have a feeling the riaa has no idea what the campuses are doing however they just have a list of all the uni's and they just send out just as a default move like fishing and if anyone bites great :P

1523.10.2007 18:19
WierdName
Inactive

Originally posted by borhan9:
I have a feeling the riaa has no idea what the campuses are doing however they just have a list of all the uni's and they just send out just as a default move like fishing and if anyone bites great :P
You know, I wouldn't doubt that. The RIAA have brought some pretty stupid cases forth before.

EDIT- ...With bad intel being the likely cause of those cases.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Oct 2007 @ 18:20

1623.10.2007 20:00

With Oink being taken down, the RIAA will potentially have a lot of ip's to further back up their claims!



Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive