Update: Toshiba denies Xbox 360 with internal HD DVD drive

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 24 Oct 2007 14:52 User comments (17)

Update: Toshiba denies Xbox 360 with internal HD DVD drive Earlier this week, the Australian tech site Smarthouse claimed that Toshiba and Microsoft were working on a new Xbox 360 that has a built-in HD DVD drive.
Microsoft has denied rumors of the sort in the past stating that DVD media is still "adequate for this generation of games" as well as the cost factor involved in putting an HD DVD drive in every console. They have not offered any word on the recent report, but Toshiba has denied any such development.

“It’s got nothing to do with us,” said a Toshiba representative. “But we know Microsoft doesn’t want to include the HD DVD drive so as not to limit the user’s experience.”

With the falling prices of HD DVD hardware and the inclusion of HDMI with all new Xbox 360s, it is conceivable that a new console with an internal HD DVD player could be in the works.

Should be interesting to see where it leads.

Source:
Dailytech

124.10.2007 16:04
BIGnewb

microsoft go shoot yourself in the foot

224.10.2007 16:25

i hope they dont think of pissing their fan base off by adding hddvd drives and not leaving any support for the 12 million ppl who payed for a older gen model thats not capable of using a hddvd drive to play games...if they leave the add-on drive capable of playing games then they have a chance with a price cut on the add-ons so who knows maybe or maybe not we'll jsut jave to sit and wait....

324.10.2007 18:36

the 360 elite doens't hav internal hd drive? i thought it did :S

424.10.2007 18:44
hughjars

Wow, an internet rumour turned out to be untrue.

I'm stunned.

524.10.2007 19:27

Sony are going to release a Core PS3 for $200. minus Blu-Ray,BWC,Blue-tooth and no HDD.
It will have a Sony Memory stick for saved games and come bundled with 1 game that hasn't been announced yet.
The Next Gen starts here...

624.10.2007 21:00
vinny13

Originally posted by ChromeMud:
The Next Gen starts here...
The only reason why the PS3 has Blu-Ray is because the capacity of their discs are bigger and that is the format they are using for their games. Take that out, and you have a big heavy black box that is filled with useless wires and a tray.

724.10.2007 21:25

Ah bleep, i was looking forward to another X360 that can play games and HD-DVDs... bleep...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Oct 2007 @ 23:28

824.10.2007 21:45

Originally posted by ChromeMud:
The Next Gen starts here...
I can't wait! Ill shell out $200 for a PS3 with no bluray because it is BWC, wait a second, isn't that a PS2? Ah... forget it.

924.10.2007 23:22

Actualy it's a rumour about the PS3 Core for $200,just thought I'd do a FUD spreading test!
I wouldn't be suprised though if Sony have this on the back-burner
though waiting for the GO signal.Cheap sells,and let's face it,the PS3 ain't exactly flying off shelves so it could work.If they can boast about BWC then take it away later,why not strip it from
Blu-Ray and sell it as a cheap games machine not a movie player.
AV freaks prefer a quality standalone movie player alongside their games machine anyways.

1024.10.2007 23:30

@Gnawnivek
Watch the language - let's keep it clean.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...

1125.10.2007 1:07

Should be interesting to see where it leads.
This sums up my feelings as well.

1225.10.2007 4:27

I have a xbox 360 that scratches my games and kinda sits around makes alot of noise heats up my room too, and one day I bought a ps3 I play games wifi online, watch hi def movies, and put my pics on there from my camera oh by the way rachet and clank looks better then anything on 360. halo 3 was same ol same ol

1325.10.2007 8:37

Microsoft should add a built in Blu-Ray player so their customers can buy the HD DVD addon, and Microsoft will dominate the market.

1425.10.2007 11:05
davidrose

Price would n't be worth it 360's burn out after awhile and to pay for hddvd 360 would be a waste in my oppinion I have the adddon HD DVD works fine outlasted three RLOD xbox's and yeas HALO3 same ole same ole

1525.10.2007 12:49
kubapolak

I on the other hand, cannot wait until the xbox360 comes out with an hd-dvd drive. I think the name will change and the design, so that those who paid for the xbox wouldn't be too disappointed. But for now I can only wait and dream on. Only time will tell!

1625.10.2007 12:52

Originally posted by ChromeMud:
I wouldn't be suprised though if Sony have this on the back-burner
though waiting for the GO signal.
Um, how would you play ps3 games on it?

1727.10.2007 11:46

Originally posted by ChromeMud:
I wouldn't be suprised though if Sony have this on the back-burner
though waiting for the GO signal.
Um, how would you play ps3 games on it?
Sony could re-release games on DVD,it's cheap and most games on PS3
would only fill a double layer DVD anyway.
As for games that exceed a DL DVD you could span it onto other DVD's.Offer a Download Content Service to install the game onto HDD,or decompress content from multiple DVD's onto the HDD.
Or Sony could just be arrogant and say 'tough s#it,you should buy the premium PS3 for the Blu-Ray only games!' and most Sony fans would bend over for that....maybe! ;P
See....various ways to backtrack,just like losing Backwards Compatibility,Sony can break promises whenever they choose if it means improving your business and cutting costs.