AfterDawn: Tech news

Third generation PS2 coming in 2008?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 03 Nov 2007 16:57 User comments (31)

Third generation PS2 coming in 2008? Although Sony has kept mum on the subject, online reports have suggested that a new model of the PlayStation 2 could be hitting the US in 2008 with a sub-$100 USD price tag.
According to the games industry trade paper MCV, this third generation PS2 will be even more compact than the current Slim models and "see the power brick moved inside the casing."

Most reports have the console retailing for $99 USD in North America and 75 overseas when it hits at some point during 2008.

Sony announced last week that it hoped to sell 12 million more PS2s worldwide in the five months ending March 2008 and this new third gen console would certainly help.

Source:
TheRegister

Previous Next  

31 user comments

13.11.2007 17:33

I wonder how fcked up the new model will be,I hate the slim line

23.11.2007 18:26

Gonna agree with you on this on. I actually prefer my clunky, got-it-the-week-it-was-released brick of a PS2. Wouldn't give it up.

33.11.2007 18:44

I'd probably be willing to get a PS2 for $99. If they keep releasing games, like how they just released GH 3 for PS2, for the next little bit for it at only $99 and with decent new games still coming out for it that could really help its sales.

Its nice to actually see something come out and stay popular. Its not something that happens often.

Peace

43.11.2007 18:50

Originally posted by Pop_Smith:
I'd probably be willing to get a PS2 for $99. If they keep releasing games, like how they just released GH 3 for PS2, for the next little bit for it at only $99 and with decent new games still coming out for it that could really help its sales.

Its nice to actually see something come out and stay popular. Its not something that happens often.

Peace
the only thing I hate about the bricky PS2 is the lens are 30-80$ to replace >>

53.11.2007 19:20
BIGnewb
Inactive

yea the slimk ones are extremely cheap like i saw one for 5 bucks on ebay i was like WOW.but this is where sony's fortune is coming from and why not keep doing things that make you money.if i produced something and made money from it i wouldnt really stop.so it makes perfect sense.

63.11.2007 19:32

Originally posted by BIGnewb:
yea the slimk ones are extremely cheap like i saw one for 5 bucks on ebay i was like WOW.but this is where sony's fortune is coming from and why not keep doing things that make you money.if i produced something and made money from it i wouldnt really stop.so it makes perfect sense.
most of the new ones are 15-30 so not fair ><

73.11.2007 20:41

Personally i doubt they will continue to make ps2 games in the near future! With next-gen fully coming into play this christmas, i doubt many people will be wanting a third gen ps2, especially as WHAT news games will they have for it, i mean people might get it, cause ya no the ps3 beign an epic fail and not playign the ps2 games, but persoanlly i'd get a ps2 and a 360 in that case.

Yes i no i'll get flamed for this, go on, i don't care, but the ps2 is a dieing consol, its past its best, these are attempt by sony to try and squee everythign they can so it seems the ps3 isn't makign such a loss! The games will soon dry up, then it will be useless!

83.11.2007 20:59

Originally posted by Riotard:
Personally i doubt they will continue to make ps2 games in the near future! With next-gen fully coming into play this christmas, i doubt many people will be wanting a third gen ps2, especially as WHAT news games will they have for it, i mean people might get it, cause ya no the ps3 beign an epic fail and not playign the ps2 games, but persoanlly i'd get a ps2 and a 360 in that case.

Yes i no i'll get flamed for this, go on, i don't care, but the ps2 is a dieing consol, its past its best, these are attempt by sony to try and squee everythign they can so it seems the ps3 isn't makign such a loss! The games will soon dry up, then it will be useless!
More of a reason to fully support BWC and get the PS3 in every home >>

93.11.2007 21:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Riotard:
Personally i doubt they will continue to make ps2 games in the near future! With next-gen fully coming into play this christmas, i doubt many people will be wanting a third gen ps2, especially as WHAT news games will they have for it, i mean people might get it, cause ya no the ps3 beign an epic fail and not playign the ps2 games, but persoanlly i'd get a ps2 and a 360 in that case.

Yes i no i'll get flamed for this, go on, i don't care, but the ps2 is a dieing consol, its past its best, these are attempt by sony to try and squee everythign they can so it seems the ps3 isn't makign such a loss! The games will soon dry up, then it will be useless!

More of a reason to fully support BWC and get the PS3 in every home >>
Thats not what i ment, i ment that the only reason is for ps3 users, because they probably sold their ps2 expecting BWC, but don't ahev it!

However with prices costs like $30 for the slim, i don't see how sony can get any cheaper, and also how they can make the thing cheaper!

Also i didn't say to get every home have a ps3, if peopel want a ps3 they get one, but persoanlly silly mvoe by sony, giving a cheap alternative for 360 and wii users, instead of makign them buy a expensive machien to play their ps2 games on!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Nov 2007 @ 21:08

103.11.2007 21:11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Riotard:
Personally i doubt they will continue to make ps2 games in the near future! With next-gen fully coming into play this christmas, i doubt many people will be wanting a third gen ps2, especially as WHAT news games will they have for it, i mean people might get it, cause ya no the ps3 beign an epic fail and not playign the ps2 games, but persoanlly i'd get a ps2 and a 360 in that case.

Yes i no i'll get flamed for this, go on, i don't care, but the ps2 is a dieing consol, its past its best, these are attempt by sony to try and squee everythign they can so it seems the ps3 isn't makign such a loss! The games will soon dry up, then it will be useless!

More of a reason to fully support BWC and get the PS3 in every home >>
Thats not what i ment, i ment that the only reason is for ps3 users, because they probably sold their ps2 expecting BWC, but don't ahev it!

However with prices costs like $30 for the slim, i don't see how sony can get any cheaper, and also how they can make the thing cheaper!

Also i didn't say to get every home have a ps3, if peopel want a ps3 they get one, but persoanlly silly mvoe by sony, giving a cheap alternative for 360 and wii users, instead of makign them buy a expensive machien to play their ps2 games on!
I dunno sony could well lower the 80GB PS3 to 350-400 drop the 40GB nonsense and try and regain the market, hell I would be happy if the 80GB unit was 450 and the 40GB dropped sony is grabbing at anythign that might save them money and damning everythign else, they are trying to prop up the PS2 sells while tryign to sell the PS3, its just maddness....

113.11.2007 22:03

It will be interesting to see the physiology of this ps2. I can't see how it will be smaller and have the power brick inside.

123.11.2007 22:04

Originally posted by 21Q:
It will be interesting to see the physiology of this ps2. I can't see how it will be smaller and have the power brick inside.
I can't see how to much heat generation.

134.11.2007 0:10

Anyone know the specs of a standard PS2?

It would be worthy to see what one could do with a modded "computer" for under $100.

144.11.2007 1:00
rojas134
Inactive

Remember this for the future, Sony = One.

154.11.2007 1:25

Ahh another version of PS2. They should release that version with regular wireless controllers from Logitech. Would at least make it more attractive. I mean i wont buy it but the average Joe that dont have one will.

164.11.2007 2:50
pcaddict
Inactive

A similar happening will happen to the PS3 and possibly a third for the PSP. Its bound to happen some time.

174.11.2007 8:55
ali2007
Inactive

what are they promoting ps3 or ps2, sony looks confused

184.11.2007 9:01

Originally posted by ali2007:
what are they promoting ps3 or ps2, sony looks confused
Sony is lost instead of stopping to make new PS2's and putting more effort into making the PS3 a solid brand they dck about mindlessly.....

194.11.2007 17:16

sweet, now i can continue to not pay for any of the new guitar heros. how do you get smaller than a slim? make it the size of a dvd case?

204.11.2007 23:40

i'm sony fan, i think tought that sony needs money to cover up losses from from the ps, well actually not losses i would call it low sales, anyway if this ps2 it's great and cheap mostly every home on the world is gonna get it and sony will sell more millions probably stablishing a sale record

215.11.2007 12:31

If you check gamespot, you can check out the entire PS2 game lineup for the next couple of years. It's going to taper off drastically in 08. So I also see this new console modification as a way to still squeeze every last bit of life out of this thing. Doesn't make any sense. If they were smart, they would bundle some stuff with it. Anyway, with faster PC's, PS2 emulation is becoming better and better. I'll never get rid of or replace my V7 brick :-P

225.11.2007 13:24

Originally posted by emugamer:
If you check gamespot, you can check out the entire PS2 game lineup for the next couple of years. It's going to taper off drastically in 08. So I also see this new console modification as a way to still squeeze every last bit of life out of this thing. Doesn't make any sense. If they were smart, they would bundle some stuff with it. Anyway, with faster PC's, PS2 emulation is becoming better and better. I'll never get rid of or replace my V7 brick :-P
whats the better ps2 emu?

235.11.2007 14:08

You know if Sony was smart they would release a portable ps2 instead of a slim ps2 version.The reason I say this is because it would cut down the components needed to build the system.Although I really don't like the feel of the psp controls it would boost sells since alot of people like portable game systems.I hate the slimline as well,very cheap design with no power button,no harddrive bay,a bunch of thin ribbon cables.I'm not sure they can make the design any cheaper than it already is.I bet people would buy a PS2 portable design,since the psp which is actually a ps1 portable is selling.I don't know it might sound dumb,but I agree with most of the people so far saying it will be a dead console soon.

245.11.2007 15:42

Originally posted by L-Burna:
You know if Sony was smart they would release a portable ps2 instead of a slim ps2 version.The reason I say this is because it would cut down the components needed to build the system.Although I really don't like the feel of the psp controls it would boost sells since alot of people like portable game systems.I hate the slimline as well,very cheap design with no power button,no harddrive bay,a bunch of thin ribbon cables.I'm not sure they can make the design any cheaper than it already is.I bet people would buy a PS2 portable design,since the psp which is actually a ps1 portable is selling.I don't know it might sound dumb,but I agree with most of the people so far saying it will be a dead console soon.
like one of the PSones that was small and had a small LCD attachment to it?

255.11.2007 21:40

Quote:
Originally posted by L-Burna:
You know if Sony was smart they would release a portable ps2 instead of a slim ps2 version.The reason I say this is because it would cut down the components needed to build the system.Although I really don't like the feel of the psp controls it would boost sells since alot of people like portable game systems.I hate the slimline as well,very cheap design with no power button,no harddrive bay,a bunch of thin ribbon cables.I'm not sure they can make the design any cheaper than it already is.I bet people would buy a PS2 portable design,since the psp which is actually a ps1 portable is selling.I don't know it might sound dumb,but I agree with most of the people so far saying it will be a dead console soon.
like one of the PSones that was small and had a small LCD attachment to it?
Well more like a handheld bro like a Nintendo DS or PSP,but now that I think about it I'm not even sure what they could use as a cartridge to fit the games on.Just thinking about it they could use a dual mini-dvd media type since the UDF section on most games isn't needed on the games anyways,and a compression format similar to what they are using on the psp.It is possible to create it,but I honestly can't think of a really good method to store the games on it.

266.11.2007 4:49

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by L-Burna:
You know if Sony was smart they would release a portable ps2 instead of a slim ps2 version.The reason I say this is because it would cut down the components needed to build the system.Although I really don't like the feel of the psp controls it would boost sells since alot of people like portable game systems.I hate the slimline as well,very cheap design with no power button,no harddrive bay,a bunch of thin ribbon cables.I'm not sure they can make the design any cheaper than it already is.I bet people would buy a PS2 portable design,since the psp which is actually a ps1 portable is selling.I don't know it might sound dumb,but I agree with most of the people so far saying it will be a dead console soon.
like one of the PSones that was small and had a small LCD attachment to it?
Well more like a handheld bro like a Nintendo DS or PSP,but now that I think about it I'm not even sure what they could use as a cartridge to fit the games on.Just thinking about it they could use a dual mini-dvd media type since the UDF section on most games isn't needed on the games anyways,and a compression format similar to what they are using on the psp.It is possible to create it,but I honestly can't think of a really good method to store the games on it.
CD/DVD are to big without that it would be be moot.

276.11.2007 8:01

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/06/new-ps...rice-same-size/

its not a model its a reversion abotu 120mg lighter than befor...sony is wasting money out the ass now....

286.11.2007 10:19

I agree it is a waste of money to do another revision when it will be a dead console real soon.I think 80mm discs won't work on a handheld,but 8cm discs would work.I was reading up on Blu-Ray awhile ago,and I heard TDK made a 16.5Gig mini dvd disc.I'm sure they can make it fit on mini dvd discs,but dvd is dvd regardless of its size.If you take an 80mm dvd disc and a 8cm dvd disc they will both perform at the same level when played back with the right laser adjustment.It was just a thought to be honest,since making revisions of the slimline model is actually pointless in my opinion.I think it would be cool if people could use the ps2 as a handheld.

296.11.2007 11:58

Quote:
Originally posted by emugamer:
If you check gamespot, you can check out the entire PS2 game lineup for the next couple of years. It's going to taper off drastically in 08. So I also see this new console modification as a way to still squeeze every last bit of life out of this thing. Doesn't make any sense. If they were smart, they would bundle some stuff with it. Anyway, with faster PC's, PS2 emulation is becoming better and better. I'll never get rid of or replace my V7 brick :-P
whats the better ps2 emu?
Not a better ps2 emulator. I was referring to the pcsx2. It's been in the works for a long time now and I check on it once every few months. It's coming along. They have a pretty extensive list of games tested and how far each game can get to (load screen, full playability) and how choppy some are. Just something I'm filing away in the back of my mind. I'll check on them again when I do build a sweet rig early next year.

There are still some good titles coming out this year though. I believe another Final Fantasy is slated for the end of the year, or early next year.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Nov 2007 @ 12:00

3017.11.2007 17:08

I just hope it does not loose any of the attributes it had originally. The thing is the ps2 is a great console and you dont want to go and change a thing that works.

3125.11.2007 15:46

Third-gen PS2? WOW...Slim PS2 is enough.



Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive