Limeware can be found on 36 percent of all PCs worldwide

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Dec 2007 18:22 User comments (20)

Limeware can be found on 36 percent of all PCs worldwide According to research published by Digital Music News and BigChampagne, the popular P2P application Limewire can now be found on one-third of all PCs worldwide. For the report, the companies collected the data though voluntary systems scans and surveyed more than 1.6 million systems.
Although the number is impressive, and unrivaled, growth has slowed since news that they were involved in a legal battle with the RIAA hit the press.

"LimeWire continues to be the iTunes of P2P by a wide margin ... but growth has remained flat over the last several months,"
said Richard Menta, research analyst at Digital Music News.

If you would like to purchase the whole report, which reports on the market penetration of most ecommerce, jukebox and torrent applications, you should visit the Digitalmusicnews website.

Source:
emediawire

113.12.2007 21:28

I want to know how they got there statistics. But I do think 36% is a pretty realistic figure.

213.12.2007 21:44

Think I'll stick with emule.

Seems like whenever there is some kind of "bust", it involves Limeware, iMesh or the like.

313.12.2007 22:51

Originally posted by tucker001:
they used there handy dandy built in spyware!

413.12.2007 23:03
vinny13

Ares.

513.12.2007 23:19

all limewire is good for is singles or clips.. Too risky to play with anymore for me..

614.12.2007 0:10

What i want to know is the 36.00us you pay them to download the software protect you from the RIAA?If not they need to do better explaining that before you pay them

714.12.2007 1:19

Originally posted by flyboy25:
que?

814.12.2007 3:05

Originally posted by flyboy25:
Why would you pay for p2p?

914.12.2007 5:21

Originally posted by B33rdrnkr:

I couldn't agree with you more!

1014.12.2007 6:32
duckNrun

Funny how these folks at Digital Music News who report on this figure that people are going to go to their site and pay them for the report... I would think they would recognize that most people would just open up an app and download the report for free off P2P. They are after all talking about filesharing...

lol
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Dec 2007 @ 6:34

1114.12.2007 12:48

Bearshare all the way with me. Limewire is riddled with trojans, worms and viruses. They may use the same Gnutella network, but BS is much better and less likely for baddies.

1214.12.2007 16:05
vinny13

lol BS :P

1315.12.2007 2:38

To me limewire was full of viruses and trojans, sure, you have that risk with any p2p tech, but this one was just too much,same as Imesh, I still use morpheus for single files and very rarely now, but remember the gold old Kazaa days? I think that was on nearly 80-90% of the pc's, too bad they went and screw the whole thing with that lousy hulk movie and the the busts began, wasn't the Kazaa lite plataform actually a dragnet of the RIIA? I never knew, but as soon as the word was out, I burned like 2 50-packs spindels worth of MP3's and video...NUff said.

1415.12.2007 11:05
morguex

Originally posted by tester22:
And Bearshare dosen't?
All these P2P file sharing program have trojans, worms, spyware and virus. Despite the fact they say they don't.
You just have to be smart when using them.

1515.12.2007 22:14

Yes, you have to have "good/smart behavior when using p2p programs".

Kindle Fire 1st Gen running Jelly Bean
Nexus S 4G running 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
PS3 Slim 3000 Model 4.3.1
PS3 ID: killbarney1123

1621.12.2007 9:20

bangor09, was that CDs or DVDs? If that was DVDs that would be impressive, 550 G!!! I guess that would be about a Billion dollers if you bought them on itunes.

That is an amazing statistic! I am not sure I believe it. How many persons are stupid enough to get their computer scanned by the survey. I suspect the source is a very scewed. Limewire may be the choice of the ignorant if you believe all the postings. Mostly, only the ignorant would click on one of those pop-ups adds claiming to improve your computer. You can be sure it will load spyware on your computer and probably not help you computer much if at all. Just how stupid do you have to be to use that service? My guess is the bottom 10%ile of user intelect.

That stat will get the Media Maffia worked up! They will push congress for a law to kill piracy.

flyboy25,
Limewire contends you will only download stuff that is legal. It is only a tool, like a knife. You do not expect to see a disclamer on a knife box, "this product should not be used to stab anyone". Why should Limewire be different? If you are worried about being caught, maybe you shouldn't use it.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Dec 2007 @ 9:42

1721.12.2007 12:16

I practice "peer-2-server" sharing ;-)

I don't trust most peers.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Dec 2007 @ 12:16

1824.12.2007 0:49

Their are other p2p out there now that have taken limewires place and also torrents are the way to go now anyway.

1925.12.2007 5:27

About 15 dvd's and the rest was cd's, dvd's were a little bit expensive to me back then, so i kept them to "back up" my movies....

2025.12.2007 5:32

I work in a retail store in a PC department, you'd be amazed how many people come to us for help because they clicked on those pop-ups....and still think they were really the solution, not the cause of the problem...