AfterDawn: Tech news

PlayStation 3 sales rose almost 300 percent since October

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 14 Dec 2007 17:42 User comments (29)

PlayStation 3 sales rose almost 300 percent since October According to NPD Group sales data, sales of the Sony PlayStation 3 rose 285 percent from October to November, the largest sales increase of any console for the time period.
More the month of November, Sony sold "466,000 PS3 consoles, 496,000 PS2 consoles, and 567,000 PSP handhelds" in the US.

Despite the stellar increase in sales and the fact that two new PS3 titles, Activision's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed, ranked in the top ten software list for all consoles, the sales were still barely half of the rival Nintendo Wii.

Sony also went on to provide up-to-date information on PlayStation Network usage.

According to Sony, "there are now more than 1.8 million registered PlayStation Network users in North America. Together, they have downloaded more than 34.5 million pieces of content. Worldwide, more than 3 million users are registered and have downloaded more than 60 million pieces of content."

Source:
GI.biz

Previous Next  

29 user comments

115.12.2007 5:56

i dont doubt it xmas time is here and also they lowered the prices so 399$ an 499$ for a blu ray player and gameing console in one is not a bad deal. Not a chepa console but at least they got it down to 400$ lol

215.12.2007 7:51

This is good to hear thats Sony has finally pulled the PS3 out of the gutter.With a very strong lineup of AAA titles games coming next year this is going to make things very interesting.

315.12.2007 7:55

I just hope I get one! I don't understand fanboyism... I dearly like my 360, psp, ds, ps2, saturn, dreamcast, new, snes.... I understand fighting for what games are best because I am a staunch believe that Solid Snake could knock the snot out of Gabe and Sam at the same time... but that is just me. I would like a PS3 but my Xbox has performed exceptionally well and it is going to be oh so hard to beat "Live" as a platform. The concept of "Home" seems cool, but for people in adulthood that are not going to spend hours walking around chatting and decorating... it isn't that worth it. Also, I think (Americans and our UK cousins) should be much more pissed that SONY releases all the cool colors and variants in Japan only. I frigging hate that, especially all the MGS stuff they get we do not. The cool thing is that we have choices and competition has made gaming great in a very short period of time. Peace niggaz and I hope you all have a great Chrismas-

415.12.2007 7:56
hughjars
Inactive

The quotes from the main source should have been fuller.

Here's the bit they left out.....

Quote:
During November, Nintendo sold 981,000 Wii consoles,
Microsoft sold 770,000 Xbox 360 consoles,
and Sony sold 466,000 consoles.
The Nintendo DS handheld, however, outsold all of the consoles with 1.53 million sold in November.
Both the PSP and the PS2 outsold the PS3, with 567,000 and 496,000 units respectively.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31530

So, a little better for the PS3 but even after the recent price cut still firmly trailing in 3rd place.

That's the bit that the 3rd party developers will be concentrating on. :P

515.12.2007 8:16
BIGnewb
Inactive

it isnt trailing necessarily.360 had a one year head start and the ps3 is outselling the 360's first year sales.and everyone knows that when ps3's exclusives:haze,gran turismo 5,god of war 3,killzone 2,metal gear solid 4,little big planet,socom confrontation,AND HOME...come out its over.360 has a pathetic 08 lineup.ps3 will close in and close the gap to 5 million between them and 360.and after that the same thing will happened with the ps2 and xbox.

615.12.2007 9:12
saltynuts
Inactive

Originally posted by BIGnewb:
it isnt trailing necessarily.360 had a one year head start and the ps3 is outselling the 360's first year sales.and everyone knows that when ps3's exclusives:haze,gran turismo 5,god of war 3,killzone 2,metal gear solid 4,little big planet,socom confrontation,AND HOME...come out its over.360 has a pathetic 08 lineup.ps3 will close in and close the gap to 5 million between them and 360.and after that the same thing will happened with the ps2 and xbox.










Senior member how?

715.12.2007 10:16
vinny13
Inactive

Ya I think next year the PS3 will close on the 360... The PS3 has a better line-up then the 360, or at least it stood out more to me. The only games that come to mind for the 360 is Halo Wars, possibly Gears of War 2, and another which I just forgot :S

I don't really like those 2 games anyways... Halo is fun but Halo Wars just looks more like a computer game, and Gears of War i just don't like. Maybe the next one will be better? I hope they don't flood it with crap like they did with Halo...

815.12.2007 10:19
26r0cK
Inactive

Quote:
The quotes from the main source should have been fuller.

Here's the bit they left out.....

Quote:
During November, Nintendo sold 981,000 Wii consoles,
Microsoft sold 770,000 Xbox 360 consoles,
and Sony sold 466,000 consoles.
The Nintendo DS handheld, however, outsold all of the consoles with 1.53 million sold in November.
Both the PSP and the PS2 outsold the PS3, with 567,000 and 496,000 units respectively.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31530

So, a little better for the PS3 but even after the recent price cut still firmly trailing in 3rd place.

That's the bit that the 3rd party developers will be concentrating on. :P
Once again there's hughjars to do anything to strip away of Sony's glory. Seriously this article is just about Sony better themselves with their PS3 sales. Give them a break you hater! Its obvious to everyone that Nintendo and Xbox are leading. We dont need retards like you to keep pointing it out. Im happy that all consoles did well so that the game industry will continue to provide good entertainment.

915.12.2007 10:34
hughjars
Inactive

Originally posted by 26r0cK:
Once again there's hughjars to do anything to strip away of Sony's glory.
- Seriously. If you honestly think the true situation is taking anything other than what it is then I suggest a reality check.

"Strip away Sony's glory", eh? LMAO. Sad.

Originally posted by 26r0cK:
Seriously this article is just about Sony better themselves with their PS3 sales. Give them a break you hater!
- What you mean don't inform people of the whole story?!

Wow, that's an amazing amount of hate just there.

Originally posted by 26r0cK:
Its obvious to everyone that Nintendo and Xbox are leading.
- Is it?

Why shouldn't people be informed of the facts and by how much the various types are selling?

Originally posted by 26r0cK:
We dont need retards like you to keep pointing it out.
- Naaaa, you just stick to your ludicrous "Sony's glory" attitudes.

1015.12.2007 10:35

I dub thee hughjars Capt. PHD. You need to find a few things better to do then try and trash every Sony article. I never was a M$ but i had to respect what they attempted to do since they came out first in the Next Gen system wars. But you are far the worst poster on here because you are way to extreme. Give credit when its due thats all im saying. Sony hasnt made many mistakes with the PS3 in the last 3-5 months now. They have strengthened their gaming line-up with better titles and even most of the ports that all the other consoles have its better on their system then the other on most of those releases. I havent been playing my 360 as much over the last 2 - 3 months due to this. The Wii is currently in the closet and only comes out to play games with my kids. I'm glad the PS3 is making its way up that ladder.

1115.12.2007 10:44

Originally posted by BIGnewb:
it isnt trailing necessarily.360 had a one year head start and the ps3 is outselling the 360's first year sales.and everyone knows that when ps3's exclusives:haze,gran turismo 5,god of war 3,killzone 2,metal gear solid 4,little big planet,socom confrontation,AND HOME...come out its over.360 has a pathetic 08 lineup.ps3 will close in and close the gap to 5 million between them and 360.and after that the same thing will happened with the ps2 and xbox.
Last time i checked 360 was at 13 million & PS3 was at 7 million.Lets take into account Sony is within 6 million console without launching any AAA titles.That lead will be gone by this time next year Ninja Gaiden not going to save them next year.Microsoft put all there marble on the table when Halo 3 launched now thats gone all they can look forward to is Gears Of War 2 which i heard is coming maybe 09 or 010. By that time Sony will have surpass 360.Japan 360 sells are killing them.

1215.12.2007 10:50

The only reason for this is the shortage of Wii's on the market.

And considering that Wii's are going for more than 500 bucks on ebay and craigslist. And are impossible to find on shelves's would explains why people are buying the ps3 now at this current time.

Still a piece of crap machine now that they got rid of the backwards compatibility.

1315.12.2007 12:21
hughjars
Inactive

S'funny.

When HD DVD is outsold by 2 : 1.35 in 2007 (according to the BDA s last figures) the PS3/Blu-ray fanclub can't wait to rush in and slam HD DVD as "dead", "dying" or claim it should just go away and leave one format so as to stop diluting the effort & supposedly confusing consumers.

But when PS3 is outsold by an even greater factor it's an entirely different matter.

Hypocrite fanboys. Too obvious.

spydah what are you on about?
Is keeping the true overal situation quiet what you'd prefer?
Are you suggesting people be 'nice' to Sony (wtf for anyways)?
Should false impressions be created & sustained & the customers kept ignorant as anything but the selected & approved stats might offend?!
What is that all about, huh?

1415.12.2007 12:27

Originally posted by Solo_Tek:
The only reason for this is the shortage of Wii's on the market.

And considering that Wii's are going for more than 500 bucks on ebay and craigslist. And are impossible to find on shelves's would explains why people are buying the ps3 now at this current time.

Still a piece of crap machine now that they got rid of the backwards compatibility.
The Wii don't have anything to do with why the PS3 has sold well.Its the fact that Sony got of there high horse & dropped the console price & PS3 got more games now.If someone got 250 bucks to spend on a Wii there is no way on gods green earth the adv Joe customer going to say o well i should get a PS3.Thats a 150 dollars price increase more than half of what Wii cost.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Dec 2007 @ 12:29

1515.12.2007 12:31

Quote:
the sales were still barely half of the rival Nintendo Wii.

Guess you missed that part, Hugh. No need to drag a HD/Blu debate into this, is there?

1615.12.2007 13:22
hughjars
Inactive

Originally posted by sciascia:
Guess you missed that part, Hugh.
- It gave only a partial picture.

I preferred the entire comparison between the 3.

Originally posted by sciascia:
No need to drag a HD/Blu debate into this, is there?
- I didn't & I'm not.

I merely pointed to the usual terms the PS3 fans use in the HD DVD/Blu-ray debate to illustrate their hypocrisy when it comes to the consoles.

1715.12.2007 13:33
Propagand
Inactive

i know i bought one :)

1815.12.2007 14:42

I dunno the nrefed PS3 is what is selling an the masses are to dumb to realize the difference.

And the PS3 is still trailing in not only numbers sold but quality of games are still iffy at beast, goign to take another 15ish months tog et the beast in gear....

Oh and the 360 still has a more complete line up even if most of its crap is stolen from the PC, neither the 360 nor the PS3 are worth the asking price at this time.

The WII is alil better but lacking in other areas if you want to get a new system the PS3 is probably your best bet, at 400-500 with a game and the extra media crap its the better choice, unless you can get a WII for 250-300.

Now when the 360 has the 65NM GPU and CPU and the 120GB hDD in the premium it will be worth 400$!
And even better if it has a HDVD drive for a total of 400-460!

1915.12.2007 16:33

Originally posted by hughjars:
S'funny.

When HD DVD is outsold by 2 : 1.35 in 2007 (according to the BDA s last figures) the PS3/Blu-ray fanclub can't wait to rush in and slam HD DVD as "dead", "dying" or claim it should just go away and leave one format so as to stop diluting the effort & supposedly confusing consumers.

But when PS3 is outsold by an even greater factor it's an entirely different matter.

Hypocrite fanboys. Too obvious.

spydah what are you on about?
Is keeping the true overal situation quiet what you'd prefer?
Are you suggesting people be 'nice' to Sony (wtf for anyways)?
Should false impressions be created & sustained & the customers kept ignorant as anything but the selected & approved stats might offend?!
What is that all about, huh?

Whose talking about HD-DVD when this article is about the PS3 console?

2015.12.2007 17:19
vinny13
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by spydah[/quote:
Whose talking about HD-DVD when this article is about the PS3 console?
I know... Why does this need to dragged in here? It ruins lives :/

2115.12.2007 18:57

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by spydah[/quote:
Whose talking about HD-DVD when this article is about the PS3 console?
I know... Why does this need to dragged in here? It ruins lives :/
The guy is paid to talk shit about BR and/or Sony. Anybody listening or banking what this guy has to say is a fool.
Go see for yourself people. Don't buy into this guys paid for opinion.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Dec 2007 @ 18:58

2215.12.2007 21:30

I'd like to see what the sales counts are for the month of December. With Wii limited on sales due to shortage, Xbox360 frenzy slowed down after the Halo3 rush and the price cut of the PS3.

PS3 might have some big names coming it's way, but I don't think we'll see another record breaker like Halo 3, not sure why that game did so well anyways. It's nice having dual system titles come out, proves which system has the higher frame rate and picture quality......360 hands down.

In the article why did it only state the Sony consoles? Why are people still buying PS2? A 300% increase in sales.....pretty sad before that.

Heard the 40GB version is not backward compatible, makes the $499 80GB version the better option.

GTA San Andreas made me buy a PS2 GTA4 will be on 360 so no rush to get the PS3 anymore.



Hughjars keeps these forums interesting to read, always has a response to shoot down them fanboys.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Dec 2007 @ 21:33

2315.12.2007 23:45
vinny13
Inactive

Originally posted by chubbyInc:
It's nice having dual system titles come out, proves which system has the higher frame rate and picture quality......360 hands down.


Ya that's because the Devs are too friggin' lazy to get off their asses and learn how to code properly for the PS3. *cough* Orange Box *cough*

GameSpot basically rated the game "UNPLAYABLE"! Like what kind of BS is that? And then the douche guy ceo whatever calls the PS3 a waste of time because of his laziness! He just threw bags of money out the window right there I'll tell ya that much >:

Lest we not forget about EA. And then there was Rainbow 6 Vegas, one of my favourites, in absolutely "stunning" 1080P. The list goes on and on >:

Ok, now thats out, I can sleep well. It pisses me off when people can't do their jobs right. If your gonna produce crap then why even bother? I understand that the tools that Sony sells devlopers are expensive and are tough, but they've lowered the price of them and improved on their software and such, so I've read. By now you'd think that there would be some fairly decent games.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Dec 2007 @ 23:47

2416.12.2007 1:52

Originally posted by chubbyInc:
PS3 might have some big names coming it's way, but I don't think we'll see another record breaker like Halo 3
You got to kidding right? When MGS4 launch it will be everything Halo wanted to be.Sony holding back on this game because they want to build a bigger PS3 fan base by the time this game is launch Sony will have at lease 10 million PS3 on the market.But it looks like MGS4 not going to come out March because the launch date his been moved.Killzone 2 going to move massive consoles when it launch in April.

Originally posted by chubbyInc:
It's nice having dual system titles come out, proves which system has the higher frame rate and picture quality......360 hands down.
COD4 & Oblivion has proved that if the Dev's get off there as! & do there job right PS3 games will by far look better than 360 games.PS3 is a year behind 360 gaming development & we are having games that are looking better than 360 games.I told everyone when Gears of War launched that 360 would not see anymore games on that system on the same level as Gears of War look like i was right.I feel we have seen 360 full potential but with PS3 they haven't even started yet & it start with Killzone 2.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2007 @ 2:07

2516.12.2007 7:00

Originally posted by mrtoast2:
I just hope I get one! I don't understand fanboyism... I dearly like my 360, psp, ds, ps2, saturn, dreamcast, new, snes.... I understand fighting for what games are best because I am a staunch believe that Solid Snake could knock the snot out of Gabe and Sam at the same time... but that is just me. I would like a PS3 but my Xbox has performed exceptionally well and it is going to be oh so hard to beat "Live" as a platform. The concept of "Home" seems cool, but for people in adulthood that are not going to spend hours walking around chatting and decorating... it isn't that worth it. Also, I think (Americans and our UK cousins) should be much more pissed that SONY releases all the cool colors and variants in Japan only. I frigging hate that, especially all the MGS stuff they get we do not. The cool thing is that we have choices and competition has made gaming great in a very short period of time. Peace niggaz and I hope you all have a great Chrismas-
so you think adults dont chat or dont care about that to not pay enough atention to home huh...

2616.12.2007 16:51

Originally posted by chubbyInc:

Hughjars keeps these forums interesting to read, always has a response to shoot down them Sony fanboys.
Fixed that line for you. Anything xbox360 related hughjars doesn't bash on them, he just gets off hating on anything Sony related.

But to the article, nice to see Sony pushing product. The better all three of the consoles do, the better the games released will be as the money availble to make increases.

2716.12.2007 22:24

Quote:
Originally posted by chubbyInc:

Hughjars keeps these forums interesting to read, always has a response to shoot down them Sony fanboys.
Fixed that line for you. Anything xbox360 related hughjars doesn't bash on them, he just gets off hating on anything Sony related.

But to the article, nice to see Sony pushing product. The better all three of the consoles do, the better the games released will be as the money availble to make increases.
careful to not get banned...

2824.12.2007 1:38

Sony is making some lee way by the sounds of things however i wonder what these figures are like in comparison to Nintendo's sales figures.

2924.12.2007 14:41

Originally posted by borhan9:
Sony is making some lee way by the sounds of things however i wonder what these figures are like in comparison to Nintendo's sales figures.
True hey just past he 8M mark alil while ago, its a shame they've had to damage the brand so much to make a half assed 400$ unit....

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive