AfterDawn: Tech news

Retailers predict Xbox 360 console war victory

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 16 Dec 2007 8:26 User comments (40)

Retailers predict Xbox 360 console war victory In a recent survey conducted by trade paper MCV which questioned 100 independent videogames shops, the Xbox 360 consoles emerged as the favorite to win the console war. Microsoft's Xbox 360 was launched in 2005, a year ahead of Nintendo's Wii console and Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) console. On a global scale, the Xbox 360 has been seen competing with the Wii for sales (taking second place in monthly sales frequently), until recently when Sony dropped prices of its PlayStation 3 (PS3) and witnessed an impressive sales boost.
Despite the Wii console topping monthly sales figures over and over again, sometimes by a large margin, only 16% of the voters in this survey believed it could win the war. About 49% believed that the Xbox 360 had the best chances of winning, followed by a 35% vote of confidence in the PS3. Despite the confidence in the Wii being so low, 57% also said that the low stock of the Wii was the biggest disappointment for the industry in 2007.

About 22% of the respondents were unhappy with the launch performance of the PlayStation 3. As for Halo 3, 31% of the games retailers thought that the its launch was the high point of the entire year, just ahead of 30% who thought the continued success of the Wii was the best thing of 2007 for the industry. When voters were asked who's job in the industry they would like to have, they voted unsurprisingly strongly in favor of Bill Gates.

Source:
Reg Hardware

Previous Next  

40 user comments

116.12.2007 8:47

It depends on the meaning of winning? If its about sales, well, XBOX has already lost in a bad way, (remember the 1,000,000,000 loss this year). The Ps3 has taken a loss as well but has two other units that turn a huge profit and outsell XBOX, the WII has the number 1 and 2 selling consols in the world?? If WINNING is about longevity well Xbox is only a 5 year Console and is registering patents because they no their system wont go too far, the WII wont hold out for too long either being a weak console, this takes is to the PS3, which is a 10 year console and doesnt contain all the restrictions of the XBOX. The PS3 and Sony have already won. Asking employees who work at store has no validity.

216.12.2007 9:14
Lidawano
Inactive

Couldn't possibly agree more.

316.12.2007 9:23

Originally posted by Somesaint:
It depends on the meaning of winning? If its about sales, well, XBOX has already lost in a bad way, (remember the 1,000,000,000 loss this year). The Ps3 has taken a loss as well but has two other units that turn a huge profit and outsell XBOX, the WII has the number 1 and 2 selling consols in the world?? If WINNING is about longevity well Xbox is only a 5 year Console and is registering patents because they no their system wont go too far, the WII wont hold out for too long either being a weak console, this takes is to the PS3, which is a 10 year console and doesnt contain all the restrictions of the XBOX. The PS3 and Sony have already won. Asking employees who work at store has no validity.
I couldn't agree with you more

416.12.2007 10:07

I have no idea what they class as winning at all but I'd assume it must be more than the number of unit sales of a console. It probably would include the revenue from titles released for a certain platform too, but then again, give it a year or two and exclusives might be a bit short among the mega-hit titles except of course for in-house development.

But ye, I totally agree that this "survey" has little or no significance. When I went to get back my deposit on PS3 last november just a day after we reported here about PS3 launch delay in Europe, I was shocked to see that the employees at this particular electronics and dvd store were informed by ME first about the delay. Back a year before that, I was completely assured that my Xbox 360 would be there on Dec 2nd for launch and that so would anyone who put down a deposit. I insisted that there will be a HUGE shortage but they brushed it off and said they would meet demand for everyone. Of course, on Dec 2nd, the fact that i was first in line was the only thing that saved me and got me a console... they had a total of THREE for about 100 pre-orders. So ye, I agree, it doesn't make much sense to listen to these employees of 100 random stores at all, but then again, remember to take the article about the survey results as sourced from MCV and not the opinion of AfterDawn or any of the staff here ;-)

516.12.2007 10:43

These are probably the same critics who said " The Wii will fail when it comes out" . Something many people and critics said at the launch time. Did Nintendo know that it would have this kind of demand on its hand and that every person in the world would want one. NO. So no matter how good Nintendo does or is trying to do to keep up with demand It will remain the best console on the market in my opinion.

If the 360 is so much better than the Wii, then why is it you can search you tube and get a large number of hits for the ring of death and the silly way to fix it with the towel trick. LOL. Who ever said the 360 won would have to be a moron , Sorry.

616.12.2007 10:58

I never had a problem with an xbox. Just dont play 10 - 12 hrs a day ! and always keep it in a right temp. It will last u forever :)

716.12.2007 11:35
saltynuts
Inactive

Originally posted by Somesaint:
It depends on the meaning of winning? If its about sales, well, XBOX has already lost in a bad way, (remember the 1,000,000,000 loss this year). The Ps3 has taken a loss as well but has two other units that turn a huge profit and outsell XBOX, the WII has the number 1 and 2 selling consols in the world?? If WINNING is about longevity well Xbox is only a 5 year Console and is registering patents because they no their system wont go too far, the WII wont hold out for too long either being a weak console, this takes is to the PS3, which is a 10 year console and doesnt contain all the restrictions of the XBOX. The PS3 and Sony have already won. Asking employees who work at store has no validity.





your post makes no sense its like asking a car salesman what sells the best and when he says a car you dont like you say it has no validity.like or not the people that work the stores at a retail level do have a clue in most cases as to what they are selling and how many.if you sell more of one then the other then thats what it is.its not an attack on sony or the mighty ps3.winning is about units sold nothing more.

816.12.2007 12:26
vinny13
Inactive

Originally posted by Somesaint:
It depends on the meaning of winning? If its about sales, well, XBOX has already lost in a bad way, (remember the 1,000,000,000 loss this year). The Ps3 has taken a loss as well but has two other units that turn a huge profit and outsell XBOX, the WII has the number 1 and 2 selling consols in the world?? If WINNING is about longevity well Xbox is only a 5 year Console and is registering patents because they no their system wont go too far, the WII wont hold out for too long either being a weak console, this takes is to the PS3, which is a 10 year console and doesnt contain all the restrictions of the XBOX. The PS3 and Sony have already won. Asking employees who work at store has no validity.
I agree. How could the 360 be the winner when 30% of them died in the first 2 years? Lmao

My friends have 360s dying left and right over here. One of them just got the box to ship it to Microsoft to get it fixed, 6 weeks after it died?

916.12.2007 12:27

Xbox Will Never win, Especially with there DVD9 Disks.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2007 @ 12:28

1016.12.2007 12:33

Originally posted by Somesaint:
It depends on the meaning of winning? If its about sales, well, XBOX has already lost in a bad way, (remember the 1,000,000,000 loss this year). The Ps3 has taken a loss as well but has two other units that turn a huge profit and outsell XBOX, the WII has the number 1 and 2 selling consols in the world?? If WINNING is about longevity well Xbox is only a 5 year Console and is registering patents because they no their system wont go too far, the WII wont hold out for too long either being a weak console, this takes is to the PS3, which is a 10 year console and doesnt contain all the restrictions of the XBOX. The PS3 and Sony have already won. Asking employees who work at store has no validity.
Couldn't agree more Wii has pass 360 but for someone to say something this dumb they clearly don't look at figures before they speak.

1116.12.2007 12:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Somesaint:
It depends on the meaning of winning? If its about sales, well, XBOX has already lost in a bad way, (remember the 1,000,000,000 loss this year). The Ps3 has taken a loss as well but has two other units that turn a huge profit and outsell XBOX, the WII has the number 1 and 2 selling consols in the world?? If WINNING is about longevity well Xbox is only a 5 year Console and is registering patents because they no their system wont go too far, the WII wont hold out for too long either being a weak console, this takes is to the PS3, which is a 10 year console and doesnt contain all the restrictions of the XBOX. The PS3 and Sony have already won. Asking employees who work at store has no validity.





your post makes no sense its like asking a car salesman what sells the best and when he says a car you dont like you say it has no validity.like or not the people that work the stores at a retail level do have a clue in most cases as to what they are selling and how many.if you sell more of one then the other then thats what it is.its not an attack on sony or the mighty ps3.winning is about units sold nothing more.
He’s saying that if its numbers/longevity the PS3 “will” sale better and that the PSP and the PS2 are outselling the 360 and the DS and WII are outselling them.
The only trouble is he does not see that casuals and non games will feast on the WII just because it’s been made and marketed to them, the WII dose have more life in it 3-4 years seems to be the best range for it and that’s what Nin built it for anyway.
MS also has 3-6 years left in it once they finish polishing the hardware (fixes and 65nm GPU) and put a HDVD drive in it HDVD gaming can give them a good shot in the arm and extend its life to match the PS3’s.
Sony is doing some correct things lower the price polishing the firmware getting the media aspect of it ramped up, with the price at 400 Sony can easily sale 12M in 2 years, sony has always had more support than MS but at above 400 even they can’t sell in numbers now with the kidde 40GB unit they can match the others in sales..

1216.12.2007 14:05

I highly doubt the bold statement that 360 will "win the console war" without any clear facts or evidence, I work for retail outlet in the UK and can honestly say that the Wii demand has been phenomenon. Our store is currently only offering the Wii on a package offer only for £296 and they are selling like hot cakes. While at the same time the core 360 is priced at £180 is barely shifting, the 360 had a clear advantage over its first to market feat yet they do not have a stronghold over the market.


The PS3 is gaining momentum due to its price cut, I actually sympathise with Microsoft, can they really go all the way?

1316.12.2007 14:12

Originally posted by sellsolid:
I highly doubt the bold statement that 360 will "win the console war" without any clear facts or evidence, I work for retail outlet in the UK and can honestly say that the Wii demand has been phenomenon. Our store is currently only offering the Wii on a package offer only for £296 and they are selling like hot cakes. While at the same time the core 360 is priced at £180 is barely shifting, the 360 had a clear advantage over its first to market feat yet they do not have a stronghold over the market.


The PS3 is gaining momentum due to its price cut, I actually sympathise with Microsoft, can they really go all the way?
for shear profit as not the WII won so far?

MS might have built a mighty empire but its still built on debt, sony is having trouble moving to super high endyness but should do well in acouple years.

1416.12.2007 14:36

Clearly they polled total retards. As "offcial" console sales numbers show that without a doubt the PS2 & Wii are tied as the best selling consoles this year. PS2, that's right, it's still a hot seller. And still outsells Xboxes....and PS3's as well.

Obviously this sounds like someone at the Microsoft PR department wrote it to put some spin out there and help boost sagging sales of it's console during what is easily the year the Wii dominated X-mas.

1516.12.2007 16:31

If the Nintendo Wii has legs to last 6+ years, they will definately win this generation. They have the cheapest console, the cheaper games, and convinced everyone that their system is fun and cool to have and everyone bought in and wants one. No matter how you classify winning, most consoles sold, money made, whatever, Nintendo will win. All consoles sold makes Nintendo money, and all since it has the weaker hardware (that allows Nintendo to make the profits) allows companies to make games cheaper and quicker so they want to put games out for it.

1616.12.2007 17:03

I think the 360 might be the leading console for christmas with the Wii and its short supply of consoles, but i know deep down inside that the 360 dosent have much potential left, and probably wont be too popular in 2008, 2009,etc, Thats why I have my ps3

1716.12.2007 17:19
vinny13
Inactive

Originally posted by jookycola:
Clearly they polled total retards.
Lmao

1816.12.2007 17:32

Originally posted by rogerm16:
I think the 360 might be the leading console for christmas with the Wii and its short supply of consoles, but i know deep down inside that the 360 dosent have much potential left, and probably wont be too popular in 2008, 2009,etc, Thats why I have my ps3
The 360 dose have potential left if they go with HDVD games in the next 2-3 years, but if they do not jump on it quickly and solidly the 360 is basically taped out waiting for the PS3 to gain popularity and lower in price so it can claim all the pubs.

1916.12.2007 18:39

Quote:
for shear profit as not the WII won so far?


That is one way of looking at it, the question is can they hold out on the longterm? They are not feeling the heat from 360 as clearly the 360 is having difficulties competing with the PS2.

Sony have played a dangerous game by their initial pricing strategy, although they soon realised that the price of their system is blocking potential customers and driving them into the hands of Microsoft and Nintendo.

Now that Sony have altered their strategy they have blown the contest wide open, Microsoft seem shell shocked - what more can they offer?

The sample of the survey was obviously flawed and seems to have been undertaken as a tool to re-ignite interest in the 360.

2016.12.2007 18:56

Quote:
Quote:
for shear profit as not the WII won so far?


That is one way of looking at it, the question is can they hold out on the longterm? They are not feeling the heat from 360 as clearly the 360 is having difficulties competing with the PS2.

Sony have played a dangerous game by their initial pricing strategy, although they soon realised that the price of their system is blocking potential customers and driving them into the hands of Microsoft and Nintendo.

Now that Sony have altered their strategy they have blown the contest wide open, Microsoft seem shell shocked - what more can they offer?

The sample of the survey was obviously flawed and seems to have been undertaken as a tool to re-ignite interest in the 360.
But the WII was not made for the "long term" even if they have to launch a new console in 4-6 years as long as it dose half as well as the WII they stay in profit.

The 360 will stabilize to where the Xbox was but with more multi launched titles and not so many bad ports just bad multi system games LOL, but really the 360 has seen its pinnacle and it was good while it lasted, unless they focus more on better quality lower price and more for less the 360 is on a downward sprawl, the PS3 can only get better and better I just hope they don't grow more arrogant and fck with BWC more, I want to see a better product at a lower price from sony, they can do it, I would really like to see the "elite" PS3 drop to 450 and offer better PS2 stuff, if they offer more PS2/PSX emulation options on it then 500$ would be a good price, but hats a big if..
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2007 @ 18:57

2116.12.2007 19:04

Microsoft pays for all kinds of false news and game reviews. Like claiming they cant keep the Xbox in stock or paying sites like GameSpot to post false high reviews about games to get you to buy them. People are starting to see this I think, but the market is built on hype and Microsoft is showing signs of desperation. Yes I am an Xbox Fan,,I mean on on my 6th Xbox 360 (red ring).

2216.12.2007 19:26

Originally posted by Somesaint:
Microsoft pays for all kinds of false news and game reviews. Like claiming they cant keep the Xbox in stock or paying sites like GameSpot to post false high reviews about games to get you to buy them. People are starting to see this I think, but the market is built on hype and Microsoft is showing signs of desperation. Yes I am an Xbox Fan,,I mean on on my 6th Xbox 360 (red ring).
And sony dosen't?
*rolls eyes*

2316.12.2007 21:26

Well, it's pretty obvious where everyone stands as far as this survey based on which console they own/prefer (I own a 360 but am not ruling out getting a ps3 for bluray). The bottom line is, game retailers neither gain nor lose by one console "winning" the war. The more consoles that are out there, the more people who will buy games for them, thus the more they make money. If you took this poll two years ago, or even one year ago, you'd probably have a majority of them saying the ps3 would clearly win. Obviously, they've seen something that has shifted their opinion, and the fact that Microsoft is selling more games than the wii and ps3 COMBINED has made a lot of retailers feel like xbox 360 now has a clear edge.

Sony may have the clear technological edge in consoles, and the wii may have the more innovative/unique game play, but the bottom line is 360 (for all its hardware woes) is crushing both of them in terms of games sold, which is where all of these companies plan on making their money. And unlike the ps3, microsoft's gaming console actually made a profit last quarter, something sony is nowhere close to doing with the ps3 (given its bluray inclusion).

It's still pretty early, and 10 years from now Sony may have the edge, but right now Microsoft and Nintendo are winning this "war." All the speculation of 360 being a 5 year console is just fanboy speculation, and has nothing to do with the reality of the industry. And those realities are reflected in this retailer sentiment.

2416.12.2007 21:38

Originally posted by sifuwong:
Well, it's pretty obvious where everyone stands as far as this survey based on which console they own/prefer (I own a 360 but am not ruling out getting a ps3 for bluray). The bottom line is, game retailers neither gain nor lose by one console "winning" the war. The more consoles that are out there, the more people who will buy games for them, thus the more they make money. If you took this poll two years ago, or even one year ago, you'd probably have a majority of them saying the ps3 would clearly win. Obviously, they've seen something that has shifted their opinion, and the fact that Microsoft is selling more games than the wii and ps3 COMBINED has made a lot of retailers feel like xbox 360 now has a clear edge.

Sony may have the clear technological edge in consoles, and the wii may have the more innovative/unique game play, but the bottom line is 360 (for all its hardware woes) is crushing both of them in terms of games sold, which is where all of these companies plan on making their money. And unlike the ps3, microsoft's gaming console actually made a profit last quarter, something sony is nowhere close to doing with the ps3 (given its bluray inclusion).

It's still pretty early, and 10 years from now Sony may have the edge, but right now Microsoft and Nintendo are winning this "war." All the speculation of 360 being a 5 year console is just fanboy speculation, and has nothing to do with the reality of the industry. And those realities are reflected in this retailer sentiment.
The 360 dose have the edge with current software sales but it will fade quickly as the PS3 gains headway this is a certiantiy, the WII will fade in time but it doesn't matter anything past this point is all gravy over their gold filled war chest.


The PS3 will probably take another 8-14 months to pass the 360 in unit sales and that will only lead to more software sales but for now the 360 is doing well, the PS3 so so the WII godly.

2516.12.2007 22:11

to tell u the truth the xbox 360 is a good online multi player box seeing as the wii is lacking online and the ps3 might be free to play online but needs alot of work. Depends what ur going for really for just game play i'd say ps3/xbox 360 are nice and the wii well not a big fan but its played alot u noticed when alot of ppl are over and just wanna mess around. The ps3 is a good gaming/blu ray player for movies so all depends what ur looking for price/games/controls/add on's/ hardrives and so on. The are decent but just depends on what ur looking for. Stop the statics and just enjoy the games and consoles.

2616.12.2007 22:21

Xbox 360 is winning the war. The war is not about who is making a profit, but who is controlling the market and will have the edge with the next system. As for changing the 360, that is not going to happen. Discs are going to be out and downloads in. So being Blu-Ray/HD-DVd compatible will be pointless.

2716.12.2007 22:23

er, yeah..if only xbox systems actually WORKED more than a few months.

PS3 = no "must have" games = no purchase

I'll stick with my dual core pc & leave the consoles to the kiddies.

2816.12.2007 22:36
vinny13
Inactive

Originally posted by gallagher:
Xbox 360 is winning the war. The war is not about who is making a profit, but who is controlling the market and will have the edge with the next system. As for changing the 360, that is not going to happen. Discs are going to be out and downloads in. So being Blu-Ray/HD-DVd compatible will be pointless.
I hope you're being sarcastic...

2916.12.2007 23:05

Quote:
The 360 dose have the edge with current software sales but it will fade quickly as the PS3 gains headway this is a certiantiy, the WII will fade in time but it doesn't matter anything past this point is all gravy over their gold filled war chest.


The PS3 will probably take another 8-14 months to pass the 360 in unit sales and that will only lead to more software sales but for now the 360 is doing well, the PS3 so so the WII godly.
I'm not sure how you know with "certainty" that the 360 will fade and the ps3 will gain. If momentum is any indicator, according to November sales, the ps3 sold less than half that of the Wii and just 60% of 360's numbers.

With every price drop due to smaller, more power efficient chips, both ps3 and 360 will drop in price, but it's pretty clear price has become a huge advantage the 360 and wii have over the ps3. If they both hit sub-$200 before the ps3, I'm pretty sure the ps3 will be hurting in the mass market (though not necessarily the hardcore gaming market). Nintendo is $50 away, and 360 is $150 away (for the premium). Sony is $200 away though that model doesn't have backwards compatability (something many ps2 owners, myself included, aren't too happy about).

The availability of games made the ps1 and ps2 the clearcut winners of their prospective generations. And it's that lack of games that has given the 360 such an early (though not decisive) advantage.

3017.12.2007 9:37
OhCrap
Inactive

Unless they quit making games for my PS3 or the Wii when the XBOX360 "wins". Who cares who wins "The Console War"? I mean the whole BD vs HDDVD is one thing but this is silly.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Dec 2007 @ 16:45

3117.12.2007 11:31

Originally posted by mattkind:
I never had a problem with an xbox. Just dont play 10 - 12 hrs a day ! and always keep it in a right temp. It will last u forever :)
Only if what you said is true... I owned the X360 for two months, played no more than 2 hours a day (i don't have that kind of luxury), it's now being repaired for the red ring of death.

3217.12.2007 14:57

Originally posted by sifuwong:
Sony may have the clear technological edge in consoles, and the wii may have the more innovative/unique game play, but the bottom line is 360 (for all its hardware woes) is crushing both of them in terms of games sold, which is where all of these companies plan on making their money. And unlike the ps3, microsoft's gaming console actually made a profit last quarter, something sony is nowhere close to doing with the ps3 (given its bluray inclusion).

It's still pretty early, and 10 years from now Sony may have the edge, but right now Microsoft and Nintendo are winning this "war." All the speculation of 360 being a 5 year console is just fanboy speculation, and has nothing to do with the reality of the industry. And those realities are reflected in this retailer sentiment.
Crushing?
Really?
The PS2 (as in "old gen") is crushing the 360 in sales chief, better get your facts straight. That's the the only crushing going on right now...and turns a profit for Sony. M$ couldn't do that without building something new.

As a matter of fact the PS2 is still selling so strong Sony is actually thinking about building yet another revamped PS2 next year. Me personally, my last console was the PS2 and i picked up a PSP. Because when it comes to games, still in this day and age it's all about having a gaming PC. No 360 or PS3 can touch a PC for just sheer content, detail, quality titles. Till they can, then...and only then will give in and buy one.

3317.12.2007 16:58

Talk about a paid ad. They need to write it a little better. They should call up Gamespot.
--

I like how everyone decides to rule out somebody's long post about PS3 or Sony simply because they are a "fanboy".
Like a friend told me the other day, "If you liked the XBOX 360 you'd be coming up with all kinds of things that would make it seem really awesome."
And that's all these people do, you know? Rely on the fact that they can just call you a "fanboy" and that they'll be done with it. I don't see other people coming up with really good reasons why the XBOX 360 is going to last and a console of the future. The damn thing plays like a suped-up modded XBOX anyways...
Wii is the leader simply because it is so innovative and is so cheap. But the lack of good, quality games made me sell it. And it's leading friends of mine to selling it as well.
They are also getting tired of their red ring XBOX 360s.
But they don't want to buy a PS3. Because it's expensive. And it doesn't have games.
Look to the future? It seems like a really crappy reason to buy one, but look at the XBOX 360's future. Halo Wars and Gears of War 2...the end. Sure, it might get a few more games than the PS3, but the PS3 will have tons of exclusives.
Not to mention the XBOX 360 has been out longer than the PS3.
If anyone should win, the PS3 should. Maybe, and MAYBE not now, but definitely in the end.
Stop crying "fanboys" you retards. And have your mommy change your diaper while you're at it.

3421.12.2007 4:28

Originally posted by xXxBG:
Xbox Will Never win, Especially with there DVD9 Disks.
Take a look at the Wii! Can you compare 360's discs compared to the crappy 4.7GB DVD discs for Wii??

3521.12.2007 12:39

Quote:
Originally posted by sifuwong:
Sony may have the clear technological edge in consoles, and the wii may have the more innovative/unique game play, but the bottom line is 360 (for all its hardware woes) is crushing both of them in terms of games sold, which is where all of these companies plan on making their money. And unlike the ps3, microsoft's gaming console actually made a profit last quarter, something sony is nowhere close to doing with the ps3 (given its bluray inclusion).

It's still pretty early, and 10 years from now Sony may have the edge, but right now Microsoft and Nintendo are winning this "war." All the speculation of 360 being a 5 year console is just fanboy speculation, and has nothing to do with the reality of the industry. And those realities are reflected in this retailer sentiment.
Crushing?
Really?
The PS2 (as in "old gen") is crushing the 360 in sales chief, better get your facts straight. That's the the only crushing going on right now...and turns a profit for Sony. M$ couldn't do that without building something new.

As a matter of fact the PS2 is still selling so strong Sony is actually thinking about building yet another revamped PS2 next year. Me personally, my last console was the PS2 and i picked up a PSP. Because when it comes to games, still in this day and age it's all about having a gaming PC. No 360 or PS3 can touch a PC for just sheer content, detail, quality titles. Till they can, then...and only then will give in and buy one.

I dunno as a PC gamer I do not see a lot of quality content ya cryisis is good and so are some dinky RTSs I have forgotten but the brunt of new gaming is on consoles and the 360 specifically, unlike the others it has a edge in game sales the PS3 should squash it in time sure but for now the 360 and to a lesser degree PS3 is unfortunately where most of gaming is at, the PC while still superior is losing its edge and has been for years.

As it is as it was in order to play them all you need all the systems, altho running a mid rig as I call it you can get the best in media and gaming because a lot of things revert back to PC and some can be emulated.

I have found there to be a fatal flaw in console gaming a complete lack of customability for the PC one way or another you can fully remap out your controls on the console you have static more often than not poorly thought out cookie cutter layouts and this is my final sticking point with them I will be happy to buy their crappy games if I could remap out the controls and use a mouse and keyboard when I see fit, hell I would be happy to by their brand of it anything just get me the "control" I am accustomed to for gaming.


Quote:
Originally posted by xXxBG:
Xbox Will Never win, Especially with there DVD9 Disks.
Take a look at the Wii! Can you compare 360's discs compared to the crappy 4.7GB DVD discs for Wii??
the PS3 can also support DVD it dosent mean it will use it for games, what I am getting at is they can used DVD9, they also have for some strange reason double sided discs

3621.12.2007 13:28

Okay, my turn.

I have a first gen 360, I stood in line hours in the cold and dark to get it. That is besides the point.

My Point: My system is solid, never locked up. It doesn't get hot. I have never scratched a disc in it. I have it plugged into a UPS; I keep it exposed to open air; the Brick is exposed on a solid surface as well; I keep it horizontal. These are all precautionary and I think have worked for me in preventing dreaded experiences that some others have had.

Now on to the toppic of this forum. XBox Live and the Blade System, Media Center Integration, XBox Market Place are just awsome in comparison to the other consoles. The downloadable games in the archade are also good and plentiful.

I have played the Wii, and kepted one at home for more than 2 months. My son was so excited at first, made tons of Me(s). However he got bord with it and went back to the XBox. I am happy with my purchase and see a lot of entertainment value in the 360.

I think I would have a lot of buyer's remource with the SP3. BD/HD-DVD movies are still too expensive. DiVx is coming or is already installd on the 360.

Games and Console sales is only half the battle....

The 360 is Microsoft's Video iPod, and I believe will win big time. They are missing YouTube and podcasting support but I think that's not far behind.

People's response to this article cover only the tip of the iceburg and I say the 360 goes way under water, where the others are just sheets of ice trying to build a mountain.

3721.12.2007 13:45

Originally posted by dcmorrow:
Okay, my turn.

I have a first gen 360, I stood in line hours in the cold and dark to get it. That is besides the point.

My Point: My system is solid, never locked up. It doesn't get hot. I have never scratched a disc in it. I have it plugged into a UPS; I keep it exposed to open air; the Brick is exposed on a solid surface as well; I keep it horizontal. These are all precautionary and I think have worked for me in preventing dreaded experiences that some others have had.

Now on to the toppic of this forum. XBox Live and the Blade System, Media Center Integration, XBox Market Place are just awsome in comparison to the other consoles. The downloadable games in the archade are also good and plentiful.

I have played the Wii, and kepted one at home for more than 2 months. My son was so excited at first, made tons of Me(s). However he got bord with it and went back to the XBox. I am happy with my purchase and see a lot of entertainment value in the 360.

I think I would have a lot of buyer's remource with the SP3. BD/HD-DVD movies are still too expensive. DiVx is coming or is already installd on the 360.

Games and Console sales is only half the battle....

The 360 is Microsoft's Video iPod, and I believe will win big time. They are missing YouTube and podcasting support but I think that's not far behind.

People's response to this article cover only the tip of the iceburg and I say the 360 goes way under water, where the others are just sheets of ice trying to build a mountain.
I am sorry but even MS admited to the 30% fail rate so that dose not fly, you are one of the lucky ones to have issues with it.

Again the PS3 is polishing up much like the 360 did its first year and will only get better in time as well as the price drops make it a worth while system because of the coming games, then again tis all about the games and it will have them in time, still currently the PS3 is only really worth 300 the 60GB unit maybe 400 if new, the 360 is a solid system in terms of games even if half of which are on PC I still am hesitant over its disc eating and hardware failure issues but tis slowly being rebuilt into a better system.

The WII is nice but strangely shallow I still prefer it over the 360 and PS3 still but its so lacking in control options I am just getting frustrated and pissed at it but hen again you have no more control options over the 360 and PS3, the PC have the best customizable for control and a ton of other things I like the PC the most but the games are not being made for the PC so we have PC lite the 360 and sonys lil super PC that has "software" mostly made for single and 2 core CPUS.

there are 2 reasons why the PS3 60GB is a better value they are the real PS3 and will go collectors soon ad gettign a PS3 for 300-400 is not that bad a deal the 360 is gettign a ton of fixs and revisions next year so if you are buying just know you wont be gettign the most out of your money.

now next year if you can get a premium unit thats been fully fixed then ya its the better value if the PS3 60GB untis are 300-400 :P

3824.12.2007 8:13

To me this still does not proves that the Xbox 360 won anything. Its all about stats a research done by different organizations and etc...

3924.12.2007 14:08

Just my luck. I got three red lights on my 360 over the weekend.

But it might have been a fluke. Hopefully none of you are sending negative carma my way.

4024.12.2007 14:39

Originally posted by borhan9:
To me this still does not proves that the Xbox 360 won anything. Its all about stats a research done by different organizations and etc...
In corporate life keeping up appearances is everything and the Xbox brand has done well in that, even with all the issues the 360 has had and the refusal to make a new live plan or set it free its still done well for itself...but I still can't get over the fail rates that freeze me in my tracks each time I think of getting one.

Well that and half of the good games are on PC :P

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive