AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony: Global PS3 sales to reach 11 million

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 16 Dec 2007 8:24 User comments (18)

Sony: Global PS3 sales to reach 11 million A senior executive of Sony Corp. has claimed that the company's flagship PlayStation 3 (PS3) games console/home entertainment hub will pass 11 million global unit sales by the end of this fiscal year. Speaking to the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper, Sony Computer Entertainment's chief executive Kazuo Hirai said he is confident the company will pass the 11 million mark this fiscal year despite increasingly tough competition from Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii consoles.
The holiday season is as vital to the games industry as it is to any, and Sony came prepared to tackle Nintendo and Microsoft this quarter after a disappointing year since the PS3's initial launch. A recent 10% price cut in Japan along with the unveiling of a slimmed-down model turned up the heat on the competition in the territory, and a $100 price cut did wonders for unit sales in North America.

"The PlayStation 3 is starting afresh as a console to play games with. Although pricing strategy is important, now we would like to put our strength in the number of software games," Hirai said. His comments reflect concerns from gamers over the past year about the PS3's game line-up when compared to that of the Xbox 360. The console's touted extras, like the Blu-ray player, were not good enough to take the attention away from games, but informed consumers perceived this as Sony's mistake.

Now with the price cuts and better games, Sony has seen its PS3 sales triple in North America ahead of the crucial holiday season. Finally, we might actually see the console war split between three competitors instead of two and some strong competition will surely mean more big software titles and competitive pricing for consumers to enjoy.

Source:
Yahoo (AFP)

Previous Next  

18 user comments

116.12.2007 10:49
nobrainer
Inactive

and in other news the end of the world cult predict...... well.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2007 @ 10:49

216.12.2007 11:18
evz
Inactive

Get it right Afterdawn!

If you read the statement Sony says they will reach 11m at the end of their fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2008. I believe this is totally possible with the big games coming early next year.

Not this year though.

316.12.2007 11:30

Thats impossible for this year.
The sales are around 7 million.
If they can sell 4 million consoles in 16 days, I will only buy Sony products from now on !

416.12.2007 12:20

3 more months 5-6M consoles?

its not the WII or the only console out....

they want to sale that many reduce the crappy 40GB unit to 300.

516.12.2007 12:21
vinny13
Inactive

Wow... I guess they're really selling :)

616.12.2007 12:25

Originally posted by vinny13:
Wow... I guess they're really selling :)

Not really.

716.12.2007 12:27

With a very good lineup of games Sony has coming this is more than possible.I can't wait to see the units sold during the holiday season.Last figure i seen(Blackfriday) had PS3 at 7 million console sold but could reach 8 million before 08.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2007 @ 12:28

816.12.2007 12:29

Originally posted by NexGen76:
With a very good lineup of games Sony has coming this is more than possible.I can't wait to see the units sold during the holiday season.Last figure i seen had PS3 at 7 million console sold.

And it should have hit 9 wit the holiday rush, if it gets there by jan when the all the holiday sales numbers roll in I will believe it.

916.12.2007 13:08

“Not yet….. not yet….. coming soon…. wait and see.. not yet” that’s all I hear about anything that has to do with the PS3. Games, updates, you name it. I can’t believe so many people are holding their breath for this thing and are still not disappointed with the results. Keep on holding your breath and crossing your fingers… I’m having fun in the now with my 360 and wii.

1016.12.2007 13:14

Originally posted by djrav_1:
“Not yet….. not yet….. coming soon…. wait and see.. not yet” that’s all I hear about anything that has to do with the PS3. Games, updates, you name it. I can’t believe so many people are holding their breath for this thing and are still not disappointed with the results. Keep on holding your breath and crossing your fingers… I’m having fun in the now with my 360 and wii.
Ya the PS3 has had a bad start then again was the 360's first year any better?

1116.12.2007 14:07

Quote:
Originally posted by djrav_1:
“Not yet….. not yet….. coming soon…. wait and see.. not yet” that’s all I hear about anything that has to do with the PS3. Games, updates, you name it. I can’t believe so many people are holding their breath for this thing and are still not disappointed with the results. Keep on holding your breath and crossing your fingers… I’m having fun in the now with my 360 and wii.
Ya the PS3 has had a bad start then again was the 360's first year any better?
Nope & is it still better now knowing the Hardware issues haven't been fixed yet !
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2007 @ 14:09

1216.12.2007 14:13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by djrav_1:
“Not yet….. not yet….. coming soon…. wait and see.. not yet” that’s all I hear about anything that has to do with the PS3. Games, updates, you name it. I can’t believe so many people are holding their breath for this thing and are still not disappointed with the results. Keep on holding your breath and crossing your fingers… I’m having fun in the now with my 360 and wii.
Ya the PS3 has had a bad start then again was the 360's first year any better?
Nope & is it still better now knowing the Hardware issues haven't been fixed yet !
dude....the 360 launch was the pits and the first 8months horrible.... or do you not recall the piss poor PC ports and other wishy washy games?

1316.12.2007 16:36

Quote:
A recent 10% price cut in Japan along with the unveiling of a slimmed-down model turned up the heat on the competition in the territory, and a $100 price cut did wonders for unit sales in North America.
Is that slimmed down model the $400 system or did they anounce a slim model like the slim ps2? I would have thought that would have made a news posting here if they did and I didn't see one.

1416.12.2007 17:36

Quote:
Quote:
A recent 10% price cut in Japan along with the unveiling of a slimmed-down model turned up the heat on the competition in the territory, and a $100 price cut did wonders for unit sales in North America.
Is that slimmed down model the $400 system or did they anounce a slim model like the slim ps2? I would have thought that would have made a news posting here if they did and I didn't see one.

probably referring to the sliver slim PS2.

1524.12.2007 8:08

Quote:
Now with the price cuts and better games, Sony has seen its PS3 sales triple in North America ahead of the crucial holiday season. Finally, we might actually see the console war split between three competitors instead of two and some strong competition will surely mean more big software titles and competitive pricing for consumers to enjoy.
This is what we have been saying all along.

1624.12.2007 16:10
noobz
Inactive

yea

1725.12.2007 5:23
nobrainer
Inactive

the price cut will help but there are still no decent games worth the cost of the hardware yet, and stating the big list of 2008 titles to sell something now, is bad marketing by sony pr!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Dec 2007 @ 5:25

1825.12.2007 5:49

Originally posted by nobrainer:
the price cut will help but there are still no decent games worth the cost of the hardware yet, and stating the big list of 2008 titles to sell something now, is bad marketing by sony pr!
Sony had as much forethought on doing the PS3 right as MS had fixing the fcking 360.

clean only up comes after they blindly push a product.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive