AfterDawn: Tech news

Japanese government plans ultra high-definition TV standard for 2015

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 14 Jan 2008 17:45 User comments (27)

Japanese government plans ultra high-definition TV standard for 2015 Nowadays, if you have a HDTV that can display 1080p video, you have the best picture quality that high-definition can offer to consumers right now. We have reported several times in the past about UHDV, or Ultra High-Definition Video, which later became known as Super Hi-Vision. For most of our readers, going by comments and feedback, it seems like a dream that won't be seen for a long time yet.
For those that don't know, UHDV or Super Hi-Vision consists of video at a resolution of a massive 7680x4320. Try to envision a 33-megapixel image, which is exactly what this resolution offers. It runs at 60 frames per second. It doesn't lack in the audio department either, offering 22.2CH audio (9 above ear level, 10 at ear level, 3 below ear level and 2 low frequency effects).

Now, the Japanese Government is set to begin a joint project with private companies to develop this next generation technology. The goal is to make this concept a broadcasting standard by 2015. Of course, there have been many technical problems like the development of a camera that can record it and equipment to transfer the 24Gbps uncompressed stream.

Some public testing with UHDV video required an array of 16 HDTV recorders to capture just 18 minutes of footage, about 3.5TB of space. The recorded footage was projected on a 4x7 meter screen for a public demonstration. Reports were that it gave an experience of actually "being there". People experienced nausea while watching the footage.

Source:
Google (AFP)

More news

Previous Next

Related news

 

27 user comments

114.1.2008 18:32

This is a really old article. Atleast a year old.

214.1.2008 18:58
vinny13
Inactive

I hope they make 1080P the highest standard for the next 5-10 years... I just bought one. I don't want it to be history in the next couple of years, resolution wise anyways... It's not like the tubes anymore where like I had a 20 year old TV that looked roughly the same as what I had bought last year, just this new one was flat and a lot cheaper :P

I hate how the motto,"Once you leave the store with it, it's old." has been applied to not just computers anymore.

314.1.2008 19:46

Originally posted by Burnasty:
This is a really old article. Atleast a year old.
The source is 19 hours old, carried by Google. There is nothing new about Ultra Hi-Vision, but the fact that the Government there seeks to develop and standardize is new. The newspaper article upon which the source is based was dated January 13th 2008 IIRC.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Jan 2008 @ 19:47

415.1.2008 3:43

What ULTRA HIGH DEFFINITION ,BLU-RAY and HD-DVD havent fully yet replaced the old dvd, and they are already planning on the next step after FULL HD.

Well folks its soon time to replace your ageing and lower resolution BLU-RAY or HD-DVD collection with this new super UHD.

They are probably gona say I just cant watch those old blu-ray movies, after seeing this new UHD.

Iam not buying into this, no way.

515.1.2008 5:32

Question when did Japan adopt the current HDef stuff?

Perhaps this time they are tryign to stay ahead of the curve?

Unlike most other nation they are up to date on current tech standards, or so I would think.

615.1.2008 6:15

Well I knew something like this was gonna happen. People bought into the next-gen wars, and in 7 years it'll be obsolete for the most part. I might invest in a PS3 when it goes below 300 bucks and a 40" HDTV for 500 if that, but anything other than that wouldn't be a wise investment.

715.1.2008 10:11
duckNrun
Inactive

Yeah who wants to upgrade now? Lets all wait 8+ years for this 'new format'. No wait... because then something 'better' will be in the works by then besy not to ever upgrade...

I think I can afford to spend the money for a good, new, 1080p tv now even if I can only enjoy it for 10 years or so...lol

815.1.2008 10:11

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Question when did Japan adopt the current HDef stuff?

Perhaps this time they are tryign to stay ahead of the curve?

Unlike most other nation they are up to date on current tech standards, or so I would think.
Japan started nationwide HDTV broadcast in early 1990s, using analog HDTV (only country to do so) and have moved to digital HDTV in 2000 (sat) - 2003 (antenna). So, basically they aren't that much ahead, everybody else is just a decade behind them :-)

915.1.2008 10:14

Quote:
Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Question when did Japan adopt the current HDef stuff?

Perhaps this time they are tryign to stay ahead of the curve?

Unlike most other nation they are up to date on current tech standards, or so I would think.
Japan started nationwide HDTV broadcast in early 1990s, using analog HDTV (only country to do so) and have moved to digital HDTV in 2000 (sat) - 2003 (antenna). So, basically they aren't that much ahead, everybody else is just a decade behind them :-)
Thats what I thought they plan 10ish years ahead.

1015.1.2008 10:53
banned2X
Inactive

Nausea while watching..........HA HA HA! I can't help but picture a bunch of Japs standing there on a sidewalk watching a TVs behind a glass storefront puking on the sidewalk.

1115.1.2008 16:05

Originally posted by Dela:
Some public testing with UHDV video required an array of 16 HDTV recorders to capture just 18 minutes of footage, about 3.5TB of space. The recorded footage was projected on a 4x7 meter screen for a public demonstration. Reports were that it gave an experience of actually "being there". People experienced nausea while watching the footage.

I wonder if that will be a big deal in the next 5-7 years? With the rate of technology growth, a 24Gbps uncompressed stream might be slow by then. Wouldn't that be nice. :-)

Although, I wonder, what is left have this "Ultra HD"? No one is going to want to buy a TV that is so clear it makes you sick. At least I wouldn't. I guess the only thing the TV makers could focus on is sound quality and making HUGE TVs (100"+) really thin and light (like OLED). Hopefully cheap too.

I am sure by then though, we will have been through another format war.... sigh.

1216.1.2008 2:10

It made people sick cause the video was 2girls1... ya all know where i am going with this!

1316.1.2008 6:15

Don't worry people - no cable/cat provider will have the physical bandwidth or switching power to push that amount of data for a LOOONG time. The entire cable infrastructure will have to be redone. Heck, they don't even have the bandwidth to push REGULAR 1080HD at the moment - why do you think only part of your channels are available in HD?

UltraHD might be possible in a labratory situation, but don't expect to see it in your living room for decades.

1416.1.2008 13:37

What make me really sick is that the cable companies are compressing the snot out of the HD (that you are forced to pay extra for)so that they can flood the consumer with crap shopping channels, etc. Don't get me started on the commercials that have been larded onto the cable system for both local and national advertisers. Cable sucks as a source really. Most of the time I can't get a signal that's even as good looking as the SDTV I used to get off a 5 meter C band dish more than 25 years ago. The Japanese are way ahead of the US - AGAIN.

1517.1.2008 0:20

if you think the format war is over than look at these links. they blow blue ray out of the water. these formats are going to be on the market very soon to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc
has a compacity of 3.9 terabytes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapestry_Media
has a compacity of 300gb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein-coated_disc
has a compacity of 50 Terabytes

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Jan 2008 @ 0:21

1617.1.2008 7:16

UHDV is strictly experimental, dispense with the BS, this stuff will not be on the market for a while.

How exactly are you going to enjoy the benefits of a 33 megapixel image in an ordinary sized living room?
Do the Japanese expect their entire population to make their ceilings now 2 metres higher?

This is HD gone overboard. 22 Channel SOUND???
I can't imagine most people fitting 22 speakers into their livings rooms.
And has anyone here seen an average Japanese living room?
It's more like a wash closet with a space to sit..

And why in the hell do we need speakers below us?
What are you supposed to sit on some kind of elevated high-chair like a baby with speakers attached to your floor, then walls and ceilings?
Lol right...

As for Holographic Discs and Protein-coated DVDs... seriously some people need to get off the bandwagon and set down on planet Earth. Could you imagine the unit/media costs for discs that store Terabytes of info on them???

Nobody is going to touch that stuff with a 10ft pole for years to come. Blu-Ray is enough overkill already, nobody needs 50Gb of space on a disc let alone 5 Terabytes..

This stuff is currently on the bleeding edge of technology, you can be sure it won't be publicly available in the next decade at least..

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Jan 2008 @ 13:02


1717.1.2008 11:10

I heard that people was getting motion sickness from ultra high-definition but that was 2 years ago.1080P is enough for me anything more i will get motion sickness.

1817.1.2008 14:18

Originally posted by Amir89:
UHDV is strictly experimental, dispense with the BS, this stuff will not be on the market for a while.

How exactly are you going to enjoy the benefits of a 33 megapixel image in an ordinary sized living room?
Do the Japanese expect their entire population to make their ceilings now 2 metres higher?

This is HD gone overboard. 22 Channel SOUND???
I can't imagine most people fitting 22 speakers into their livings rooms.
And has anyone here seen an average Japanese living room?
It's more like a wash closet with a space to sit..

And why in the hell do we need speakers below us?
What are you supposed to sit on some kind of elevated high-chair like a baby with speakers attached to your floor, then walls and ceilings?
Lol right...

As for Holographic Discs and Protein-coated DVDs... seriously some people need to get off the bandwagon and set down on planet Earth. Could you imagine the unit/media costs for discs that store Terabytes of info on them???

Nobody is going to touch that stuff with a 10ft pole for years to come. Blu-Ray is enough overkill already, nobody needs 50Gb of space on a disc let alone 5 Terabytes..

This stuff is currently on the bleeding edge of technology, you can be sure it won't be publicly available in the next decade at least..
and so was Hdef TV 10 yeas ago.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

1918.1.2008 22:08
jverhey
Inactive

You say there is no way the infastructure can handle the bandwidth. I live out in the country not the big city in Japan and have 100MBPS fiber and on a speed test have in the top 99% in the world for my connection and they are releasing gigabit fiber here in 2010. Europe and parst of Asia are ready for this future of technology. Time Warner and Comcast and on and on will not go to the next step because of their profits. You will see these new formats comming out or shall I say read about them because they will only work in Asia and Europe untill they get off their butt's and bring America back in to the 21st century for their broad band.

2019.1.2008 3:21

All the formats war will finally end when they can finally come up with virtual TV.

2119.1.2008 18:41

A virtual TV will be great. the closet thing I saw to this was some 3d tv show. But we have to achieve a lot but it will be here one day.

2220.1.2008 7:45

Adamontar hit the nail right on the head

2320.1.2008 17:04

Originally posted by Adamontar:
What ULTRA HIGH DEFFINITION ,BLU-RAY and HD-DVD havent fully yet replaced the old dvd, and they are already planning on the next step after FULL HD.

Well folks its soon time to replace your ageing and lower resolution BLU-RAY or HD-DVD collection with this new super UHD.

They are probably gona say I just cant watch those old blu-ray movies, after seeing this new UHD.

Iam not buying into this, no way.
Just to clearfiy HD spec was adotped in the early 90s when it was a pipe dream tis ismroe or less the same japan being the tech capital of the world still has to keep up appearances at the least and plan ahead at the most.

They are planing ahead that is all it wont be for 10ish years and by then digi distro might have fully kicked in.

2430.1.2008 22:48
zorb43
Inactive

Originally posted by jverhey:
You say there is no way the infastructure can handle the bandwidth. I live out in the country not the big city in Japan and have 100MBPS fiber and on a speed test have in the top 99% in the world for my connection and they are releasing gigabit fiber here in 2010. Europe and parst of Asia are ready for this future of technology. Time Warner and Comcast and on and on will not go to the next step because of their profits. You will see these new formats comming out or shall I say read about them because they will only work in Asia and Europe untill they get off their butt's and bring America back in to the 21st century for their broad band.
And where might I ask do you reside "out in the country" to get such great fiber infastructure in place ?

2530.1.2008 22:58
zorb43
Inactive

Originally posted by Amir89:
UHDV is strictly experimental, dispense with the BS, this stuff will not be on the market for a while.

How exactly are you going to enjoy the benefits of a 33 megapixel image in an ordinary sized living room?
Do the Japanese expect their entire population to make their ceilings now 2 metres higher?

This is HD gone overboard. 22 Channel SOUND???
I can't imagine most people fitting 22 speakers into their livings rooms.
And has anyone here seen an average Japanese living room?
It's more like a wash closet with a space to sit..

And why in the hell do we need speakers below us?
What are you supposed to sit on some kind of elevated high-chair like a baby with speakers attached to your floor, then walls and ceilings?
Lol right...

As for Holographic Discs and Protein-coated DVDs... seriously some people need to get off the bandwagon and set down on planet Earth. Could you imagine the unit/media costs for discs that store Terabytes of info on them???

Nobody is going to touch that stuff with a 10ft pole for years to come. Blu-Ray is enough overkill already, nobody needs 50Gb of space on a disc let alone 5 Terabytes..

This stuff is currently on the bleeding edge of technology, you can be sure it won't be publicly available in the next decade at least..
I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that 50 Gigs on a disc is overkill? Hd Video takes up lots of space and in it's uncompressed form even more. Its nice to burn a bunch of films on a single disc. Also, as far as being a medium to back up a hard Disc to, who wants to span multiple discs to back up an image of your HDD?

2631.1.2008 3:02
jverhey
Inactive

I live in Kinokawa which is outside of Osaka and it is really out in the country. We have the worst tv reception in Japan because of our loction and I have 100MBPS fiber connection. It's really funny. I run a smooth 20MBPS up and down on my main computer and still have 2 other computers and an XBOX 360 and can have all on and running and no slow down on my bandwidth. Then I read recently that they are looking at gigabit in the next 2-3 years.

But for technology they have 1080p boxes that will beam hdmi to other tv's in your house and the Bluray and HD-DVD players and burners and sat receivers and digital receivers and have internal hard driver for recording basically 1 unit does everything. I am suprised it dosent wash the dishes also.

They dont have cable run through the country, all the time in America that we continued to run antique material they were running fiber. In America we all went with cable tv and it ran the market for a long time. Now our biggest investors in the industry are running hard cable that can not compete with fiber. If Verizon and a few of the others go full out at droping fiber in all the neighborhoods they could make Time Warner and Comcast and the rest into Dinosaurs. Which Time Warner is really bad for customer service and their tech's couldnt find their asses with 2 hands and a template.

Time Warner is starting bandwidth restrictions in Texas and then it will go country wide. Too much traffic in the neighborhood on hard cable so your unlimited one price per month cable modem will be back to pay as you go soon. It is also in the contract that they can change it from one price to pay as you go. So they have precalculated on how to charge you more but havent come off a dime to joining in the future. The next step is HD streaming or download and with the bandwidth restriction they will be able to collect double on you for the added bandwidth.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Jan 2008 @ 3:12

2714.2.2008 21:43

I would like to see an updated article about this new technology.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive