AfterDawn: Tech news

Anonymous Toshiba source confirms HD DVD's demise

Written by Rich Fiscus (Google+) @ 16 Feb 2008 22:01 User comments (34)

Anonymous Toshiba source confirms HD DVD's demise Reuters is reporting that a source within Toshiba is confirming the company is planning to drop HD DVD, and is currently in the final stages of working out their exit strategy, although the decision isn't official yet.
Although there has been a lot of speculation about how long Toshiba would be willing to stand behind the technology which has already cost them a lot of money to develop and promote, after Warner Bros. was convinced to back Blu-ray and drop HD DVD production later this year.

Although Toshiba and studio partners Paramount and Universal have very publicly stated that they have no plans to give up on HD DVD yet, a series of defeats, including this week's announcements from both Netflix and Wal-Mart that they'll be dropping the format to focus on Blu-ray.

Previous Next  

34 user comments

116.2.2008 22:18

I'm so confused now!!! witch one is right? Next-gen format war is officially over

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Feb 2008 @ 22:21

216.2.2008 22:26

Quote:
Although Toshiba and studio partners Paramount and Universal have very publicly stated that they have no problems to give up on HD DVD yet
Do you mean plans to give up on HD DVD?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Feb 2008 @ 22:27

316.2.2008 23:32

You win some, you lose some.
That's about as much as anybody can say.

417.2.2008 1:28

Replacing "problems" with "plans" is the least of the grammatical problems in that final sentence.

Regardless, as if the earlier news concerning Netflix, Best Buy, and Wal-mart dropping HD DVD isn't a big enough blow, if Toshiba drops them, HD DVD will really be on its last legs (if they aren't already).

517.2.2008 2:34

Quote:
Quote:
Although Toshiba and studio partners Paramount and Universal have very publicly stated that they have no problems to give up on HD DVD yet
Do you mean plans to give up on HD DVD?

I did indeed. Good catch - and corrected now.

Thanks

617.2.2008 6:18

This thread needs hughjars immediately. HD-DVD needs life support stat.

717.2.2008 7:19

Originally posted by connolly:
This thread needs hughjars immediately. HD-DVD needs life support stat.
he's in Walmart right now - the guy with the orange wig, black mac and dark sunglasses - pre-ordering his blu ray player.

817.2.2008 8:42

Its so sad , seeing the best format loose but now Xbox owners will have the oportunity to buy a blu-ray add on?. If yes will sony give permision , because i dont want to buy a ps3 ( cheapest blu-ray player), cos if not xbox owners will go and exchange it for a ps3.

917.2.2008 11:58
hughjars
Inactive

Interesting that there's still no official word and only "sources" being quoted.

Wow, what a suprise, some idiotic personal digs, nice mature debate guys, not.

1017.2.2008 12:07

Sounds like a good time to hit up the people who are selling their stuff. Yummy.

Hugh, being the face and most ardent defender of HD DVD will get some personal digs on you. I know you're aware of that though.

1117.2.2008 12:40
vinny13
Inactive

Originally posted by hughjars:
Interesting that there's still no official word and only "sources" being quoted.

Wow, what a suprise, some idiotic personal digs, nice mature debate guys, not.
Lol has it ever been mature?

1217.2.2008 13:12

Originally posted by hughjars:
Interesting that there's still no official word and only "sources" being quoted.
Quote:




Wow. You can still hear the hope in your voice... you find it "intresting" as in you don't believe it?

Here is a couple of things that you didn't believe either...

Just like you did not believe the Walmart blog source the other day.. but 10 minutes later someone posted the official story link.

And just like you said Warner will never go Blu exclusive no matter how much Blu-ray fans want it to be true.

And just like you said HD-DVD is not a dead or dying format, no mater how much Blu-Ray fans want it to be true, blu-ray is not going anywhere for a long time.

These are not exact quotes but very close to what I remember how you worded things over the last month or two.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Feb 2008 @ 13:17

1317.2.2008 13:28
hughjars
Inactive

Originally posted by m3_chris:
Wow. You can still hear the hope in your voice... you find it "intresting" as in you don't believe it?
- I find it interesting because like most grown-ups I prefer to deal in fact and not rumour or unnamed 'sources'.

Originally posted by m3_chris:
Here is a couple of things that you didn't believe either...

Just like you did not believe the Walmart blog source the other day.. but 10 minutes later someone posted the official story link.
- You seem to have trouble with the concept.

Just because something was officially confirmed later does not make the earlier rumour trustworthy.

Sorry and all but that's how the world works.

Originally posted by m3_chris:
And just like you said Warner will never go Blu exclusive no matter how much Blu-ray fans want it to be true.
- Well whether you care to believe it or not the fact remains that (as Ken Graffeo said in a recent interview) the HD DVD side believed they had Warner signed up to go HD DVD exclusive and announce it at CES 2008.

Originally posted by m3_chris:
And just like you said HD-DVD is not a dead or dying format, no mater how much Blu-Ray fans want it to be true
- If these tales are true then HD DVD has been killed off, it did not 'die' a natural death.
Back-room deals and (as the JD Power survey shows clearly http://www.twice.com/article/CA6532944.html
) a rigged market are the reasons for what has happened.

Originally posted by m3_chris:
blu-ray is not going anywhere for a long time.
- Perhaps not.
I doubt very much that Blu-ray isever going to do much beyond the PS3 niche tho.

Originally posted by m3_chris:
These are not exact quotes but very close to what I remember how you worded things over the last month or two.
- Well if you were quoting me then you got the last one a little tangled & wrong but I won't hold a grudge. ;)

1417.2.2008 15:08

...and we are all going to trust you because you have been right so many times. It's time to let go. This is getting sad. I'm sure you employer will tell you the same thing.

1517.2.2008 18:09

I personally don't care, because I'm gonna stick with regualar DVD's until the insane prices come down. Their way too high for me to buy any HD DVD's OR Blu-Rays either.

1617.2.2008 19:57

We all assume that Sony will put pressure upon its current format supporters to completely drop DVD real soon. If HD-DVD is running on bare rims, I just hope manufacturers don't discontinue DVD movies and DVD blank media just yet. It wouldn't seem fair to just remove blank DVD media from shelves and kill recorder drives until blank bluray discs and movies are at an affordable price.

1717.2.2008 20:29

Originally posted by hughjars:
- I find it interesting because like most grown-ups I prefer to deal in fact and not rumour or unnamed 'sources'.
These are the same facts that you had when you said Warner was going to go HD-DVD exclusive but never showed one bit of proof.



Originally posted by hughjars:
- Do you have any idea how closely this came to going the other way?

But for a sudden change of decision by a group on the Warner board HD DVD did indeed have it all tied up. .


I'm still waiting because what you deal with isn't in the neighborhood of truth or facts.Members has asked you countless times but some how you dodge this question like cancer.

1818.2.2008 0:54
Ludikhris
Inactive

I was just thinking the same thing NexGen. Hugh says he only deals in "truths the occur, or real facts" but I have heard him talk about so many speculations about HDDVD that never came true it could make my head spin. I'm not personally attacking you Hugh but that really was a lie. You based a lot of things you said in the last six months on speculation. Tons of which never came anywhere near true, or came to be the exact opposite. A great quote is what NexGen said above me. "This came very close to going the other way. No it didn't, there is no proof of that at all. In fact all indications were that it was going to go just as it did. The only time it appeared to me as though HDDVD had a real chance was in the beginning because they came out first. They had a good jump on the market but I think the PS3 and consumer sales figures tipped this one in favor of BR. I would agree there were some checks passed here or there, but that was both camps. Speaking of that, wasn't that something you have said many times but never actually had a factual backup for it? The fact that BR was paying everyone? I never read anything that confirmed that, did you?

1918.2.2008 2:53

Hmm. This story is all speculation from unamed sources just like the Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Netflix, Warner stories were at first. Oh wait, I see a trend here.

2018.2.2008 4:21

Lol, Hughjars...

I would hate being you now. In a few days or less you will have your official source and this stupid "War" that HD-DVD had practically lost from the start will be over.
Over and done with.

I remember all your posts from a few months ago, to the effect of: HD-DVD will never die, Blu-Ray fans are speculating, sales are going up, you'll see in a few months I told you so....

And now where is the HD-DVD cheer squad? Huh?

You seriously have to let it go, accept that Blu-Ray won and give the victor some credit. Stop trolling around ragging on BD every chance you get. Nobody is going to backing HD-DVD very soon, except you..

You remind me of Adolf Eichmann, innocent and unrepenting to the end.
"I was just following orders". Lol, I wouldn't be surprised if you were either buddy.

Just give up already.



2118.2.2008 8:06

Originally posted by hughjars:
Interesting that there's still no official word and only "sources" being quoted.
Toshiba Stock Rebounds In Anticipation of HD DVD Exit

The BBC is reporting a 5 percent rise in Toshiba share prices as speculation intensified that the electronics giant is set to cease all HD DVD development and production.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7250068.stm

Rueters is also reporting that the elimination of sales promotion costs would add 30 billion yen ($280 million) to Toshiba's operating profit in the next business year from April.

http://www.reuters.com/article/hotStocks...ndChannel=10005

Obviously, Toshiba's investors and stockholders are cheering.

2218.2.2008 8:48

Originally posted by juankerr:
The BBC is reporting a 5 percent rise in Toshiba share prices as speculation intensified that the electronics giant is set to cease all HD DVD development and production.

Looks like HD DVD is finally making some money for Toshiba.

2318.2.2008 9:23

Originally posted by error5:

Looks like HD DVD is finally making some money for Toshiba.
Well if Toshiba hasn't made a decision yet, then the media and the stock market has already made the decision for them.

2418.2.2008 10:59

Amir89,

You just got a two week vacation for that pathetic, off topic rant against huhjars. Comparing someone making a case for a HD format to the architect of the holocaust is crass and flat out ignorant.




My killer sig came courtesy of bb "El Jefe" mayo.
The Forum Rules You Agreed To! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
"And there we saw the giants, and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight" - Numbers 13:33

2518.2.2008 11:08
hughjars
Inactive

Originally posted by Ludikhris:
I was just thinking the same thing NexGen. Hugh says he only deals in "truths the occur, or real facts" but I have heard him talk about so many speculations about HDDVD that never came true it could make my head spin. I'm not personally attacking you Hugh but that really was a lie.?
- Well some things can't be proven in the manner you wish.

But I'd just point you at the Ken Graffeo interview and tell me it does not back the events as I described them.
All the head HD DVD guys were on their planes on route to CES believing that they had Warner 100% on board and that they were going to announce for HD DVD.

I was not lying, I was giving the truth of the situation as I knew it.

Originally posted by Ludikhris:
I would agree there were some checks passed here or there, but that was both camps.
- Actually that was begun by Sony & the BDA when they persuaded Warner & Paramount to go neutral and Disney & Fox to go exclusive BD.

Originally posted by Ludikhris:
Speaking of that, wasn't that something you have said many times but never actually had a factual backup for it? The fact that BR was paying everyone? I never read anything that confirmed that, did you?
- It's on the next page of the conclusive facts you guys have posted about Paramount getting $150 million. :P
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Feb 2008 @ 11:09

2618.2.2008 14:54
_H06_
Inactive

OMG Hughjars, can you stop posting these long annoying replys. I bet you the mods are tired of suspending people, just because the told you to shutup. And i cant beleive your still going for HD-DVD. Face it you lost the rest of afterdawn Won.

2718.2.2008 16:15
camaro17
Inactive

lol, well dont rip on hughjars, i gave that up i hate fighting. What that other guy said, you win some, you lose some. Dont worry hughjars, its not your fault, you just picked the wrong thing at the start.

Peace

2818.2.2008 16:43

Originally posted by hughjars:
But I'd just point you at the Ken Graffeo interview and tell me it does not back the events as I described them.
All the head HD DVD guys were on their planes on route to CES believing that they had Warner 100% on board and that they were going to announce for HD DVD.
Reminds me of the French the night before the battle of Agincourt.

2918.2.2008 18:13

_H06_ couldn't keep from getting personal and has now left for good.




My killer sig came courtesy of bb "El Jefe" mayo.
The Forum Rules You Agreed To! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
"And there we saw the giants, and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight" - Numbers 13:33

3018.2.2008 18:35
vinny13
Inactive

Originally posted by camaro17:
lol, well dont rip on hughjars, i gave that up i hate fighting. What that other guy said, you win some, you lose some. Dont worry hughjars, its not your fault, you just picked the wrong thing at the start.

Peace
That other guy has a name lol :P

319.4.2008 15:51

This article does not exactly confirm that hd dvd is dead. We need to be a bit more clear cut.

On a side not Vurbal gotta say well done with another one of your shortest articles yet :)

329.4.2008 15:58
goodswipe
Inactive

Originally posted by borhan9:
This article does not exactly confirm that hd dvd is dead. We need to be a bit more clear cut.

On a side not Vurbal gotta say well done with another one of your shortest articles yet :)
Man, talk about raising the dead.




This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Apr 2008 @ 16:07

339.4.2008 16:07

Originally posted by goodswipe:
Man, talk about raising the dead.
It's called threadomancy or necroposting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_(Internet)


This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Apr 2008 @ 16:10

349.4.2008 16:10
goodswipe
Inactive

LOL, right on.

I think that this article was just way to old to even leave a comment. Especially given the fact that people are pretty tired of reading about this stuff.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive