Japanese satellite to provide broadband internet and DTV in Asia

Written by Rich Fiscus (Google+) @ 24 Feb 2008 0:40 User comments (12)

Japanese satellite to provide broadband internet and DTV in Asia Japan may have taken a long time getting into the space race, but they're quickly making up for lost time. Powered by a rocket designed and built in Japan, they've launched a new satellite which they hope will be able to provide digital television (DTV) and high speed internet to remote areas of the country, as well as serving customers in other parts of Southeast Asia.
The satellite called Kizuna was developed by the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), the National Institute of Information and Communication Technology, and Mitsubishi. It can reportedly transmit data at up to 1.2Gbps (Gigabits per second), including both internet and DTV streams.

In addition to the fact that launching a satellite is a relatively quick, if still expensive, way to deploy infrrastructer across a larger area than would be possible with physical cables. For Japan, where earthquakes are a real threat, satellite connections also have the advantage that they will be unaffected in the case of any natural disaster.

"The infrastructure on the ground may not withstand a major earthquake, and remote areas may not have any access to optic-fiber networks," one official said.

124.2.2008 1:07

As if there weren't enough reasons for me to move to Japan. America should really start adopting more of their technology. Sure we may have done this to a certain extent, but there is still so much more. Back on topic, What I wouldlike to know is if it will be able to connect via regular wifi adapters. Or will it need its own card/PCMCIA? Either way, its a great technology to have.

224.2.2008 6:05

just think of the limitations and bandwidth throlleting on it you know they will once they sell a few thousand 10Mbit services.

Now its a nice first step to overhauling the whole satellite shtick, I wonder tho what will hit first a better land based wireless system or a true high speed satellite system that is not managed by bandwidth nazis?

324.2.2008 12:40
PetahG

wow...this is amazing..the more i read on this forum the more im amazed with these japs..i want to move to japan like 21Q

424.2.2008 12:40
PetahG

524.2.2008 15:03
vinny13

Originally posted by 21Q:
Lol where are you gonna move? There's no more room! :P

624.2.2008 15:38

I live in Japan and there is plenty of room. It's just going to cost ya. A 3 bedroom 1200 square foot house on a lot big enough for 2 cars and your house costs about 350k. And thats in Misawa which is rural Japan.

724.2.2008 16:33

Well, I was thinking about Akihabara, or Electric Town. I love places like that and it would be perfect for me.

Side Note @ PetahG: Be careful when using the abbreviation Jap, as it's considered a derogatory term stemming from WW2.

824.2.2008 16:59
PetahG

Originally posted by 21Q:

Sorry, never knew that, and I apologize to whomever I offended..I meant it in a good way

924.2.2008 18:03
vinny13

Originally posted by ringwar:

Well ya thats what I meant. Costs are so high because of the Population Density ratio...

102.3.2008 0:46

6 Mbps upstream for homes users... nice!!

1118.4.2008 6:48

This will be fast. I can not wait for this kinda thing to come to OZ :)

1223.7.2009 7:56
jonattpm

just test here your internetspeed