AfterDawn: Tech news

European Parliament rejects plan to criminalize file-sharing

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 10 Apr 2008 23:15 User comments (9)

European Parliament rejects plan to criminalize file-sharing The European Parliament has rejected a plan to criminalize file sharing by private individuals, as well as rejecting a proposal to ban repeat copyright abusers from the Internet for their activity. A plenary vote on Thursday resulted in 314 Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) voting in favor of an amendment which scrapped disproportionate measures to protect copyright on the Internet. 297 MEPs voted against the amendment.
"The vote shows that MEPs want to strike a balance between the interests of rights holders and those of consumers, and that big measures like cutting off Internet access shouldn't be used," said Malene Folke Chaucheprat, a European Parliament spokeswoman. France has already adopted such measures and may seek to push the issue at a European political level when it takes over the six-month rotating presidency of the European Union in the second half of this year.

The Oliviennes strategy, which was setup to fight copyright infringement on the Internet in France includes a three strikes approach, taking away the Right to have an Internet service account from those caught sharing copyright-protected music three times. "One badly drafted, rushed through amendment was adopted which is in contradiction to the rest of the text," said Frances Moore, Executive VP of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).

"If the aim of the report is to protect creative content, including in the online environment, we should be looking at all options available in the fight against copyright theft. Instead, this amendment suggested discarding certain options before there is even a proper debate," an IFPI statement read.


Get regular news updates from AfterDawn.com by subscribing to our RSS feeds using the Subscribe button below. If you have been living in a cave for a few years now and don't know how to use RSS feeds, then Click Here to read a Guide on how to use RSS (and other) feeds.

Previous Next  

9 user comments

111.4.2008 0:01

Quote:
297 MEPs voted against the amendment
Probably 297 of the best decisions ever made in this whole fiasco.
The real targets should be terrorists, assassins, lawyers... ;-)

211.4.2008 3:38

Good, but did I misunderstand something as there more MEPs to vote for the amendment?

311.4.2008 7:17
nobrainer
Inactive

So Big media wasn't able to line the pockets with gold so easily in the EU as the do in the USA.

so if they can make copywrite infringement a criminal offence the MPAA/IFPI(riaa ect) can pass the bill of tracking down what seems to be the worst crime ever (if you live in the USA), onto tax payers, and force the police to take resources away from "real" crime and start to jail downloaders for a crime that is not stealing a physical item or effecting anyone's health/well being.

Note to Hollywood You cannot convince intelligent ppl the copywrite infringement is theft.

Another reason to boycott ALL major IFPI/RIAA/MPAA members ppl, spread the word!


This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Apr 2008 @ 7:21

411.4.2008 12:45

Originally posted by MentalX:
Good, but did I misunderstand something as there more MEPs to vote for the amendment?
I'm with you X. I don't know how the European Parliament works exactly, but the majority is in favor For the admendment. Anybody help? Dela?

511.4.2008 12:58
varnull
Inactive

Good for them..

sgriesch.. if you read the article carefully the amendment is to remove existing powers, so voting for it is voting to REMOVE the oppressive regulations such as the "three strikes" and putting countries like the UK and France directly in breach of European rulings (again) not that I expect our elected representatives to take a blind bit of notice.. They are only interested in what their pocket lining friends want, not the greater good.

A little further investigation will show exactly which ones voted for sanity over USA theft and oppression. If mine has voted against this amendment rest assured he will start to feel some heat. these MEP's don't have huge majorities in many cases because people in the UK don't see the EU as relevant... because our government decides to ignore most European civil and human rights regulations to keep in line with the USA.

611.4.2008 13:06

Originally posted by varnull:
Good for them..

sgriesch.. if you read the article carefully the amendment is to remove existing powers, so voting for it is voting to REMOVE the oppressive regulations such as the "three strikes" and putting countries like the UK and France directly in breach of European rulings (again) not that I expect our elected representatives to take a blind bit of notice.. They are only interested in what their pocket lining friends want, not the greater good.

A little further investigation will show exactly which ones voted for sanity over USA theft and oppression. If mine has voted against this amendment rest assured he will start to feel some heat. these MEP's don't have huge majorities in many cases because people in the UK don't see the EU as relevant... because our government decides to ignore most European civil and human rights regulations to keep in line with the USA.
Thanks Varnull. That helps MentalX and I out. I agree. UK and US governments tend to side where the money is. I live in the US and feel that my country tries to police everyone else. It's either get in line with us or you are part of the "evil axis". I'm so tired of it. Our government should be policed as the leaders usually wind up being crooks themselves.

711.4.2008 13:19

Good for them...definately.

Good to see them put that particular plan where it needs to be. In the dirt.

811.4.2008 13:56
nobrainer
Inactive

The amendment to remove the anti-piracy measures passed by a vote of 314-297. The decision is expected to influence how France, with its strict anti-piracy polices, approaches this issue when it assumes the EU presidency later this year. Only for the criminalize file-sharing by private individuals. ppl actually making a living out of selling counterfeit goods is still intact which is who the RIAA/MPAA keep telling us that they are who they target with the lobbying of new laws!


This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Apr 2008 @ 13:58

911.4.2008 14:11
varnull
Inactive

Quote:
ppl actually making a living out of selling counterfeit goods is still intact which is who the RIAA/MPAA keep telling us that they are who they target with the lobbying of new laws!
Yet states have perfectly robust laws covering these people already, so why the constant lobying.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive