AfterDawn: Tech news

Samsung shows off P1500 Blu-ray player

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Apr 2008 17:45 User comments (22)

Samsung shows off P1500 Blu-ray player Samsung has finally revealed the specifications for its upcoming fourth generation Blu-ray player, the BD-P1500.
The player was first talked about at this year's CES show in January and is 1080p-capable, and includes an HDMI 1.3 output with CEC support, allowing control through home theater systems.

Other notable features are an improved upconverter chip "and ports for USB and Ethernet cables, intended to simplify the installation of firmware upgrades." It supports all audio codecs including Dolby Digital, Digital Plus and TrueHD, but will not support DTS-HD until later this year.

The P1500 only has BD Profile 1.1 firmware but supposedly is ready for BD Live, which will give users access to web content from Blu-ray titles.

There was no word on price but Samsung estimated $400 USD and a June release date.


Blu-ray Players

Samsung BD-P1200

Not rated yet

Samsung BD-P1400

Not rated yet

Samsung BD-P1500

Not rated yet

Sony BDP-S550

Not rated yet

Sony BDP-S350

Not rated yet
AD Hardware Section

Previous Next  

22 user comments

123.4.2008 21:02

i have been to two walmarts and even a k mart, and neither one had a blueray player,dint want one just wanted to look at one.they must not have many in the stores.

223.4.2008 21:51

Originally posted by tleewade:
i have been to two walmarts and even a k mart, and neither one had a blueray player,dint want one just wanted to look at one.they must not have many in the stores
All the Walmarts and K-Marts around my area have a BluRay player that's BD-Live 2.0, with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA decoding, with 1080p/24 output, and DivX compatible. All for $399.99.

It's called a PS3.

323.4.2008 23:00

Quote:
It's called a PS3.
Which will last longer under constant use?

1) A cheap, $50 run-of-the-mill regular DVD player from your local Walmart, or
2) Your $400 PS3 from the same store?

My guess is the $50 player will win.

The last, cheap average-joe-schmoe dvd player I bought (a Sony) lasted for 7 years of heavy, daily use before it gave up the ghost. Think your PS3 will fare as well? I doubt it.

If your game controller doesn't 'go', I'm sure something else will.

The PS3, whether it will do superb justice to blu-ray movies in the short term or not is not the point. Do you wanna blow the bad guys up or sit down and get into a terrific, serious, high definition movie?

To me, the PS3 is a high-end, hi-tech game TOY, sorry.

423.4.2008 23:02

Quote:
Originally posted by tleewade:
i have been to two walmarts and even a k mart, and neither one had a blueray player,dint want one just wanted to look at one.they must not have many in the stores
All the Walmarts and K-Marts around my area have a BluRay player that's BD-Live 2.0, with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA decoding, with 1080p/24 output, and DivX compatible. All for $399.99.

It's called a PS3.
ha very true, still dont understand why people would buy all these stand-alone players, although i must admit they do look a lot smaller and nicer then the PS3.

523.4.2008 23:20

Originally posted by JorDogg:

ha very true, still dont understand why people would buy all these stand-alone players, although i must admit they do look a lot smaller and nicer then the PS3.
Right now the PS3 is really the only logical choice.

HOWEVER, when the Panasonic DMP-BD50 (or even the Sony BDP-S550) comes out then all bets are off. I'm first in line for that one.

Quote:
Which will last longer under constant use?

1) A cheap, $50 run-of-the-mill regular DVD player from your local Walmart, or
2) Your $400 PS3 from the same store?

A totally moot point for me since I upgrade my disc player every 2 to 3 years.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Apr 2008 @ 23:32

Panasonic PT-AE3000 1080p Projector//Carada 110" Criterion High Contrast Grey 16:9 Screen//Oppo BDP-83SE//Toshiba HD-XA2
Classe SSP800 Processor//Classe CA-5200 5 Channel Amplifier//Classe CA-2200 2 Channel Amplifier
Bowers & Wilkins 802D L-R/HTM 1D Center/SCMS Surrounds/JL Audio Fathom f113 x 2

623.4.2008 23:52

Quote:
Quote:
It's called a PS3.
Which will last longer under constant use?

1) A cheap, $50 run-of-the-mill regular DVD player from your local Walmart, or
2) Your $400 PS3 from the same store?

My guess is the $50 player will win.

The last, cheap average-joe-schmoe dvd player I bought (a Sony) lasted for 7 years of heavy, daily use before it gave up the ghost. Think your PS3 will fare as well? I doubt it.

If your game controller doesn't 'go', I'm sure something else will.

The PS3, whether it will do superb justice to blu-ray movies in the short term or not is not the point. Do you wanna blow the bad guys up or sit down and get into a terrific, serious, high definition movie?

To me, the PS3 is a high-end, hi-tech game TOY, sorry.
What does that anti-PS3 slander have to do with the article at all? My PS2 still reads all DVDs and games and its from what, 2001? In 5 years Blu-ray players (if Blu-ray is still viable format) will cost under $100 USD anyways and my PS3 will still be reading games.

723.4.2008 23:54
dblbogey7
Inactive

Quote:
Other notable features are an improved upconverter chip "and ports for USB and Ethernet cables, intended to simplify the installation of firmware upgrades." It supports all audio codecs including Dolby Digital, Digital Plus and TrueHD, but will not support DTS-HD until later this year.

According to the spec sheet at blu-ray.com it will support bitstream transmission of both True HD and DTS-HD MA. However, no onboard decoding for both - at least on release.

Originally posted by error5:
HOWEVER, when the Panasonic DMP-BD50 (or even the Sony BDP-S550) comes out then all bets are off. I'm first in line for that one.
Got my BD50 on pre-order but I think the upcoming Marantz 8002 is still worth a close look. Heck even the Denon 3800 (which is built like a tank and should last 100 years) is worth a look if you've got the funds.

824.4.2008 4:21

Quote:
but will not support DTS-HD until later this year
And another work in progress released.

924.4.2008 9:31

Quote:
What does that anti-PS3 slander have to do with the article at all?
Plenty. I'll tell you in a minute.

I'm not anti-PS3, Andre, for those who are truly into Gaming. (For me, yes, I am not a games'-fan). If that's what they (and yourself) wanna do, then fine. For those who are into Serious High Definition, I just believe a dedicated, standalone, long-lasting, BLU-RAY player whose specific purpose in life is to play movies (not games) will always be the better choice. Just call it 'gut-feeling' on my part, ok? Playing movies is what blu ray players do. It's what they were made for. That is their sole reason for being, and what they specialize in doing well.

PS3s on the other hand, do a little of everything. Or at least they try to. Can they do everything equally as well? Are they Sony's 'miracle' device for everyone who want's to do everything? They're like cell-phones fer chrissakes. Cell phones also play ring tones, play movies, record movies, record audio, play games, surf the next, do text messaging, play mp3 files, shine your shoes, scratch your back, and percolate yer coffee for all I know. (Oh yeah, I suppose you can make a telephone call with them once in a while.) And like cell phones, nowadays PS3s seem to do more-and-more with every passing day, if I can believe the glowing accolades being heaped upon them everywhere.

As to what my comments have to do with your news piece is an (admittedly) little more opaque, (sorry you didn't catch my meaning), but damned to-the-point - it is simply this:

That I do get a little weary of folks blathering on about how wonderful their PS3s are. Fine. (Now go away and play a game or something). Your article here is about a new Blu-Ray player from Samsung, (not about cell phones or gaming consoles, or what-have-you), and we weren't TWO crummy posts into the thread before someone starts gushing away about how wonderful their PS3 is. At least for the most part, doesn't "PS3-gushing" more appropriately belong in the 'Gushing Game Consoles' thread(s)?

Quote:
In 5 years Blu-ray players (if Blu-ray is still viable format) will cost under $100 USD anyways and my PS3 will still be reading games.
I hope you are right! I hope your PS3 lasts for 10+ years!! (Trust me, you won't want it in 10 years even if it is still working.)

All of the above is just opinion. (Yes mine).

Have a nice day. :-D

1024.4.2008 10:44

DVDBack23: Thanks for the heads up on the Samsung 1500. I'll add it to the list in the players sticky later today.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Apr 2008 @ 10:49

1124.4.2008 10:57
goodswipe
Inactive

Yea, I with you on this one Klingy. My PS2 was used as a DVD player and a gaming console - what it was intended for.

I'd say after maybe four years of heavy use, the drive gave out. It would no longer play DVDs or games properly. If I'm going to be buying a Blu-ray machine, it's definitely going to be a true standalone.

In other news....

Will this Sammy be able to surpass it previous models? I believe they have had problems in the past on their gen 1 and gen 2 players? How do you guys feel about this CEC feature? Does HDMI 1.1 or any other previous versions, support CEC?

I like the look of this player. It kinda has that sleek iPod look to it.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Apr 2008 @ 11:15

1224.4.2008 11:33

Quote:

I hope you are right! I hope your PS3 lasts for 10+ years!! (Trust me, you won't want it in 10 years even if it is still working.)

All of the above is just opinion. (Yes mine).

Have a nice day. :-D
I will have a PS3 "Slim" or something by then :)

But no, I get your point, you would rather have your gaming console separate from your Blu-ray player, etc. and that is fair enough. I only have 3 Blu-ray movies so I would say for now my PS3 is pretty much only a gaming console and for DVDs, my HD-A3 does a great job upscaling. That one cost me 70 bucks :)

As for my comments before, sorry if you took them the wrong way, I just hate to see flamewars in my articles and (to me) your comments seemed the beginning of a new one.

1324.4.2008 12:24

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
...As for my comments before, sorry if you took them the wrong way, I just hate to see flamewars in my articles and (to me) your comments seemed the beginning of a new one.
Kool ! :-P

Oh Lord, Man I only wish I had a crystal-ball to warn me when a soon-to-be, impending flame-war was imminent! I'd (probably) start clicking my "Nuke This Member" button, issue a few warnings, and maybe close a thread or two before the serious damage-control folks (the 'A/D Swat Team') was called in! <gg>

1424.4.2008 12:32

Quote:
I'd say after maybe four years of heavy use, the drive gave out. It would no longer play DVDs or games properly. If I'm going to be buying a Blu-ray machine, it's definitely going to be a true standalone.
Me too, goodswipe, just as soon as more reasonable, near-earth-prices become available. It's just a matter of time. For all I know, it might even BE a Samsung model I get.

(FWIW, I came awfully close to buying a PS3 last month - I swear it! (Walmart) - but I just couldn't bring myself to do it!) <gg>

Shhhhhhhhh...... don't tell anybody I admitted that! I'll only deny it!) :-)

1524.4.2008 13:11

Originally posted by goodswipe:

Will this Sammy be able to surpass it previous models? I believe they have had problems in the past on their gen 1 and gen 2 players? How do you guys feel about this CEC feature? Does HDMI 1.1 or any other previous versions, support CEC?
The Samsungs haven't had a very good reputation especially the 1000 and the 1200. My impression from avsforums is that at least some owners of the 1400 are fine with it but the few who have problems with it are making a hell of a lot of noise.

Personally, if you ask me, I would recommend the PS3 at this point (BD-Live 2.0, 1080p/24, True HD and DTS-HD MA decoding, DivX, fastest loading time of any player so far, etc) over any of the Samsungs including the upcoming 1500. When the Panny BD50 and the Sony 550 come out then those would be my first choices - especially the BD50.

I'm not familiar with CEC since I don't own any Samsung gear.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Apr 2008 @ 13:13

1625.4.2008 6:34

Originally posted by tleewade:
i have been to two walmarts and even a k mart, and neither one had a blueray player,dint want one just wanted to look at one.they must not have many in the stores.
i didnt even think about the playstation 3 having a hd player. because its a toy .

1725.4.2008 7:34

Originally posted by tleewade:
Originally posted by tleewade:
i have been to two walmarts and even a k mart, and neither one had a blueray player,dint want one just wanted to look at one.they must not have many in the stores.
i didnt even think about the playstation 3 having a hd player. because its a toy .
First of all, what does your original comment have to do with the subject of the news item - which is the Samsung 1500?

Second, if you want to look at a standalone Bluray player then Walmart and KMart are the wrong places. Go to the big electronics stores. They have plenty in stock at Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, and Tweeter's.

My local BB always has an endcap display and a Bluray demo going on - usually with a Samsung 1400 hooked up to a 1080p Samsung LCD or plasma. They always have several units of the Samsung, Sony and LG players in stock. Their Magnolia section will have the Pioneer and the Denon.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Apr 2008 @ 7:58

1825.4.2008 8:00

Quote:
How do you guys feel about this CEC feature?
Never seen it in action, but on the surface it seems to me nothing more than "unnecessary fluff"; just something else to muddy the already overburdened, conjested, ever-burgeoning bottleneck of high-tech ancronisms we all have to try to figure out.

I guess CEC is supposed to increase overall system 'intelligence', (like) turning on all the associated equipment necessary, when you press the "Play" button on your remote. (I guess that would mean that CEC turns your hd monitor on, your auxiliary audio system on, and fires-up your blu-ray player or something???)

If you don't already know how to turn these devices on by hand, I'd have to say you're in real trouble. <gg> (Check your blu-ray player's front panel. It probably has a little button marked "ON". Pretty novel idea, huh?)

Walk into any given store and ask a sales clerk if he has any CEC-compliant hardware in stock, and I promise you he'll roll his eyes and swear you just flew in from the planet Neptune.

1925.4.2008 10:04
goodswipe
Inactive

Quote:
I'm not familiar with CEC since I don't own any Samsung gear.

Apparently this isn't just a feature with Samsung. Here's what other manufacturers are calling CEC.

Anynet (Samsung), Aquos Link (Sharp), BRAVIA Theatre Sync (Sony), Regza Link (Toshiba), RIHD (Onkyo), Simplink (LG), Viera Link/EZ-Sync (Panasonic/JVC), Easylink (Philips)and NetCommand for HDMI(Mitsubishi).


2025.4.2008 11:13

Quote:
Apparently this isn't just a feature with Samsung. Here's what other manufacturers are calling CEC.
Oh I see. I've tried Denon link when I had a DVD player and a receiver from them but I've found my programmable Harmony remote to be more versatile.

CEC would be great if you had gear from the same company working together. If you have equipment from different manufacturers then a universal remote with macro capability - like the Harmony - would make sense.

2125.4.2008 11:17
goodswipe
Inactive

Quote:
CEC would be great if you had gear from the same company working together. If you have equipment from different manufacturers then a universal remote with macro capability - like the Harmony - would make sense.

Yes, very true. I'm looking at picking up one of those Harmony remotes myself.

2230.4.2008 7:10

to hope

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive