AfterDawn: Tech news

Blu-ray Xbox 360 coming for Christmas?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 02 May 2008 17:44 User comments (44)

Blu-ray Xbox 360 coming for Christmas? Despite repeated denials over the past couple of months, more and more reports are surfacing that a Blu-ray integrated Xbox 360 is coming, before Christmas of this year.
Last month Microsoft denied rumors that the optical drive maker Lite-On was developing an internal Blu-ray drive for the console, but made sure to avoid excluding other producers. The latest report has Pegatron Technology, a subsidiary of ASUS as the manufacturer of the drive and claims that the new Xboxs will ship in the Q3 2008.

This is of course not confirmed by Microsoft and the report had no leads on how much the console would cost when launched. North America would be the first market to see these Blu-ray 360s.

Many in the video game industry believe Microsoft needs to include a Blu-ray drive to stay competitive in the future, especially against Sony's PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii. Each of those consoles have unique selling points where as the 360 does not aside from having the best online service available. PSN and Wii Online are both free however.

We will keep you updated.


Previous Next  

44 user comments

12.5.2008 17:53

Yeah seriously MS get the eff with it already. You're doing one hell of a job in keeping you consumer base happy with these little updates as time goes on, your stock holders must be happy.

How much you gonna jack your price up for this? MS is starting to remind me of the "Cable company" commerical about buisness school...

22.5.2008 17:57

RROD...

32.5.2008 18:12
saltynuts
Inactive

Originally posted by bdoggie08:
RROD...




GET OVER IT.

42.5.2008 18:27

I don't think they realize how much heat playing a bluray movie builds up. Unless M$ totally revamps their cooling system, which is already insufficient as it is, they're going to end up one heck of a mess. Besides since they can only utilize its bluray capabilities for playing movies, unless they plan on pissing off millions of people by switching to bluray games, it is pointless. The smart thing to do would be to make another external add-on. Making an internal one would be stupid, expensive, and red hot.

52.5.2008 18:36

why would they piss of millions of people????????? a blu ray drive can play regular dvd's as well. your ridiculous comment has no merit.

62.5.2008 18:40

Originally posted by huskerboy:
why would they piss of millions of people????????? a blu ray drive can play regular dvd's as well. your ridiculous comment has no merit.
because MS would make games for the BR drives and not the original consoles, and millions of 360 owners would have to fork out more cash to get the new console in order to play games. thats why they would piss off millions of people.

ps. your ridiculous comment has no merit.

72.5.2008 18:49

as i have said before this would be a terrible anti-consumer-minded idea.
sure, they would be able to avoid making multi-disc games.
yeah, the hd movie crowd would be happy to buy them.
the big problem is with the current owners who would get the shaft something serious.

82.5.2008 19:11

I'm hoping were missing major details and that if a BD 360 is in the works, that its another external drive for movies. I wouldn't mind a 3 drive xBox360 =P.

92.5.2008 20:03

Quote:
RROD...
Really.... Get over it. Microsoft owned up to it and is currently doing their time with this issue. Maybe you were like my friend who had RROD two weeks ago and for some reason opened his Xbox and fixed it temporarily for about a week before it crashed a second time. I still wonder why he didnot just send it off in the first place instead of having to pay out another $300 after voiding his warranty.

I think it would be a great marketing stratedgy for Microsoft to offer a model with the Blu-ray drive but they have already hurt themeselves and it would only be for movies only. They would never make games on blue-ray. Could you imagine Microsoft saying we will only make games on Blue-ray in the future and all you other unfortunate owners will have to pay X amount for an add-on to further enjoy your gaming experience. Never happen for gaming but great for movies.

102.5.2008 20:03

Quote:
RROD...
Really.... Get over it. Microsoft owned up to it and is currently doing their time with this issue. Maybe you were like my friend who had RROD two weeks ago and for some reason opened his Xbox and fixed it temporarily for about a week before it crashed a second time. I still wonder why he didnot just send it off in the first place instead of having to pay out another $300 after voiding his warranty.

I think it would be a great marketing stratedgy for Microsoft to offer a model with the Blu-ray drive but they have already hurt themeselves and it would only be for movies only. They would never make games on blue-ray. Could you imagine Microsoft saying we will only make games on Blue-ray in the future and all you other unfortunate owners will have to pay X amount for an add-on to further enjoy your gaming experience. Never happen for gaming but great for movies.

112.5.2008 20:04

Quote:
Originally posted by bdoggie08:
RROD...




GET OVER IT.
Not til they fix it mate, sorry MS has been moronically slow to fix it and has annoyed millions of consumers and games with their ineptitude.

I gotta say with a BR drive in the unit they wont have to lower the price any.

a BR 360 might just be what I have been writing on.

122.5.2008 21:53

well they have about 2 weeks to announce such a thing! i hope they have an add on drive! but if not i will be buying a ps3 for a possibly all ready early death to BR also due to DL content!

132.5.2008 21:53
varnull
Inactive

I don't think anybody cares.. This machine isn't a suitable device for a high quality entertainment centre.. It sounds like a bloody tank or something. Not a player you would want to watch high quality films on unless you shove it in another room.

142.5.2008 21:57

Originally posted by varnull:
I don't think anybody cares.. This machine isn't a suitable device for a high quality entertainment centre.. It sounds like a bloody tank or something. Not a player you would want to watch high quality films on unless you shove it in another room.
I dunno if they workout the menu system and make it so the internals pipe the data to the HDMI output right it sounds all good,even more so if MS has the smarts to keep it 100 or less under the price of the PS3..

If they can wedge up the 360 quality just alil and offer it with BR at 100 less tan sony.....its all win IMO.

152.5.2008 22:26

Originally posted by varnull:
I don't think anybody cares.. This machine isn't a suitable device for a high quality entertainment centre.. It sounds like a bloody tank or something. Not a player you would want to watch high quality films on unless you shove it in another room.
Agreed. My 360 sounds like it's going to explode when i watch more than one movie on it. I would have to wear riot gear if it played Blu Ray discs.

162.5.2008 22:33

Quote:
Originally posted by varnull:
I don't think anybody cares.. This machine isn't a suitable device for a high quality entertainment centre.. It sounds like a bloody tank or something. Not a player you would want to watch high quality films on unless you shove it in another room.
Agreed. My 360 sounds like it's going to explode when i watch more than one movie on it. I would have to wear riot gear if it played Blu Ray discs.
new design ,new drive....give it chance to fail at least ^^

172.5.2008 23:02

An internal Blu-Ray drive is an awful idea.

As others have stated....why? Only to play movies? That will jack up the price of a 360 greatly....plus the games won't be on Blu-Ray....if they are....that will tick off every current 360 owner out there.

Just another rumor.

182.5.2008 23:25

Originally posted by PantherM:
An internal Blu-Ray drive is an awful idea.

As others have stated....why? Only to play movies? That will jack up the price of a 360 greatly....plus the games won't be on Blu-Ray....if they are....that will tick off every current 360 owner out there.

Just another rumor.

why why why why?

to me theBR drive is a good idea however they have to understand the 360 is not currently worth 300$, even with a BR drive it will ebarly be worth 300, they need to gut rush like they did with the Xbox see thats its needed and just use their to offset th cost of the item so that they can grow and nurture the market.

Sure if they price gouge I'll be the first to light them at the stake but frankly I have been waiting for them to get of their buts and truly fix the 360.

as for games I do not see any trouble in some devs trying to release a BR version, however if you want the 10 million+ user base and the profits your undead suits drool from you kinda need to not put in on BR alone.

All in all its a good plan if they do it correctly.

193.5.2008 0:11

Quote:
Not til they fix it mate, sorry MS has been moronically slow to fix it and has annoyed millions of consumers and games with their ineptitude.
@ Zippy

I thought they did fix it with the newer version of the Xbox 360. The console with the serious problems are mostly the older models arenot they. I have a friend and a cousing who both had older Xbox360 and had RROD within this past month. My cousin sent his in and it was rt in about 10 days with no cost from his pocket. Are a lot of the new consoles overheating too? If they are, I was unaware. I have one of the newer consoles bought this year and it never seems to get hot at all. Has anyone with one of the newest versions of the 360 noticed any serious heat?? Please post.

203.5.2008 0:11

sorry. double post.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 May 2008 @ 0:12

213.5.2008 0:51

Originally posted by varnull:
I don't think anybody cares.. This machine isn't a suitable device for a high quality entertainment centre.. It sounds like a bloody tank or something. Not a player you would want to watch high quality films on unless you shove it in another room.
You have a real good point there. The 360 is F#$%^&g loud. If thats the way the cooling system sounds now, can you imagine what it will sound like with a hotter drive in it. Another room might not do....outside maybe!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 May 2008 @ 0:54

“Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Forget this... and attaining enlightenment is the least of your problems.”
–Zen Judaism by Someone Clever

223.5.2008 2:00

It might end up like the dreamcast since it didn't have a dvd player BUT they shouldn't have to worry about it if more people move to just downloading media

233.5.2008 3:01

I would like a Blu-ray 360, so they can finnally catch-up with the PS3. As most of you would agree, the Xbox is a year-behind in technology from the PS3.

What Microsoft should of done in the first place was to put a HD-DVD Drive in the FIRST xbox 360, and games on HD-DVD discs, then there may have been a different outcome in blu-ray hd-dvd war, since there were at the time, more 360 owners than PS3.

Blu-ray mostly won the battle because of the PS3. (PS3 owners didn't have to decide between HD-DVD and blu-ray, because they already had a blu-ray player.)

Microsoft came out too quick with their new console, and then later came out with a whole bunch of different 360's (Pro, Elite, Halo Edition) trying to catch up with Sony. Sony was smart to wait a while, and build in their minds, the perfect console for the future.

Many 360 owners, such as myself, have been screwed over by Microsoft. Yes the 360 is a great console NOW, but in the future, when games need more space (hint hint blu-ray), the PS3 will prevail. Let's just hope that the next console from Microsoft will have 'tehchnology for the future' as the PS3 did.

243.5.2008 9:40

Quote:
Originally posted by bdoggie08:
RROD...

GET OVER IT.

No, I think MS should eliminate that first before they go and put in a Blu-Ray drive. First off, the problem is due to heat, we all know that. Second, why put in a Blu-Ray drive, which will cause the system to heat up more when playing movies? I personally can see more RRODs with a BluRay drive inside, just because of the heat a BD Drive will make while reading BluRays. Im also pretty sure that BluRay drives are slower in reading DVD-ROMs so does that mean slower game loading for Xbox?

253.5.2008 10:15

Depending on if a Blu-ray Xbox is made, I will have to decide on wheter getting a 360 or a PS3, if the PS3 has a better line up of game in the near future.

263.5.2008 10:55

blu-ray only for movies, they cannot switch to blu-ray games unless they make a free trade-in program wich will only wokr in some countries by the way. ANd I don't think free is a word MS is familiar with.

ppl ho have been already patient enough with the red light issue they just rushed into a console one year before, they don't care for the customer, they gave this unique image to 360with live, I won't be suprised if dvd games won't be able to hold it anymore.

Unless games come in 2 dvd's one you copy to the hd and the other one for playing, could be, still most ppl own 20gb wich is really small
(Just pirctured in my mind "Microsoft 320gb Xbox 360 Cache HD featuring 10 000 rpm" ;))

273.5.2008 12:16

Originally posted by chaos_zzz:
blu-ray only for movies, they cannot switch to blu-ray games unless they make a free trade-in program wich will only wokr in some countries by the way. ANd I don't think free is a word MS is familiar with.

ppl ho have been already patient enough with the red light issue they just rushed into a console one year before, they don't care for the customer, they gave this unique image to 360with live, I won't be suprised if dvd games won't be able to hold it anymore.

Unless games come in 2 dvd's one you copy to the hd and the other one for playing, could be, still most ppl own 20gb wich is really small
(Just pirctured in my mind "Microsoft 320gb Xbox 360 Cache HD featuring 10 000 rpm" ;))
I donot buy the whole ZOMG the world would end if they make BR games

1.the 360 as a HD console NEEDS a better space management.
2.the devs have to way profits, you make a BR title on the 360 you'll be lucky to sale 10K titles, they need to use it sparsely while the BR units get to a certain saturation point but by then MS wil probly need a new console.


you can not just deb BR titles on the 360 they have to be done with a normal DVD release, there is just so much agisnt it they do not have to force devs to say no to it.

283.5.2008 12:23

I'm all for the internal Blu-Ray drive personally but the thing that pisses me off to no end is that its another freakin upgrade that you have to pay for.

MS thought they were being kewl and all cause they came out first with limited hardware and lots of extra $$ add-ons (who do they think they are? Apple?!?)

Sony and Nintendo were up next and as always the market (consumers) had their say in what they wanted and that left poor ol' little ms playing catch up.

MS your system is still the most expensive (*waits for some fanboy to cry WHAT DO YOU MEAN!!*) under achieving system on the market, boo on you MS.

*owns: PS3 80gig, XBOX360 Pre., Nintendo Wii*

293.5.2008 12:25

Originally posted by rosedog:
I'm all for the internal Blu-Ray drive personally but the thing that pisses me off to no end is that its another freakin upgrade that you have to pay for.

MS thought they were being kewl and all cause they came out first with limited hardware and lots of extra $$ add-ons (who do they think they are? Apple?!?)

Sony and Nintendo were up next and as always the market (consumers) had their say in what they wanted and that left poor ol' little ms playing catch up.

MS your system is still the most expensive (*waits for some fanboy to cry WHAT DO YOU MEAN!!*) under achieving system on the market, boo on you MS.

*owns: PS3 80gig, XBOX360 Pre., Nintendo Wii*

even if there are games on it you wont need it unless your 360 goes belly up and you need a excuse to get a new one.

303.5.2008 18:49

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bdoggie08:
RROD...

GET OVER IT.

No, I think MS should eliminate that first before they go and put in a Blu-Ray drive. First off, the problem is due to heat, we all know that. Second, why put in a Blu-Ray drive, which will cause the system to heat up more when playing movies? I personally can see more RRODs with a BluRay drive inside, just because of the heat a BD Drive will make while reading BluRays. Im also pretty sure that BluRay drives are slower in reading DVD-ROMs so does that mean slower game loading for Xbox?
I agree 100% with this comment,because how can you ignore the RROD for the XBox 360.They still don't have a permanent fix for this issue even with the new consoles they redesigned.The support they give is really bad,and why the hell do people have to pay for M$ screw ups.You have to pay to ship in your console if it messes up,and all they do is replace it with a refurbished console which is just as bad.Your just throwing your money away when you invest in this console.I can imagine if they get a Blu-Ray internal drive the system will probably catch fire.I own all the next gen consoles,and the PS3 is the best system in my opinion the way it is designed but they don't have very many games that are exclusively for the PS3 that are any good.I like the Nintendo Wii as well,but I wouldn't call it next gen at all.Its more like a revamped GameCube to me,but with a different controller scheme.I hate M$ with their multiple add ons,and poor support services.They should probably let the console die like the dreamcast,because M$ can't fix the major issues.I'm not going to exchange a fubar console just to get another fubar console in return.If it comes down to the consumer redesigning the system to perform like it should in the first place by replacing the fans,heatsinks etc...then screw it you can spend your money on better things that actually work the way they are meant to.

313.5.2008 21:49

It may just be cheaper for MS to start buying PS3s and spraypainting a big green X on them and call them "Ultra Elites" or whatever phrase they want to coin in an effort to continue to compete. This would at least take care of the RROD issues, and proprietary hard-drive issues... and locked USB issues... and the 100$ wireless adapter BULLS#!T... etc.

On a serious note:

For the sake of arguement we'll assume that this console is actually going to appear around Xmas time..

The price of a "NEW" console with Blu-Ray built in, will be substantially more than the other versions, Elite included. So at that point one might as well just buy a PS3 if you are looking ot watch Blu-Ray films.

I'm still up in the air on the issue of 360 games coming to Blu-Ray.
Not sure if that would be fair AT ALL to the people who bought the original.

323.5.2008 22:00

Originally posted by Hunt720:
It may just be cheaper for MS to start buying PS3s and spraypainting a big green X on them and call them "Ultra Elites" or whatever phrase they want to coin in an effort to continue to compete. This would at least take care of the RROD issues, and proprietary hard-drive issues... and locked USB issues... and the 100$ wireless adapter BULLS#!T... etc.

On a serious note:

For the sake of arguement we'll assume that this console is actually going to appear around Xmas time..

The price of a "NEW" console with Blu-Ray built in, will be substantially more than the other versions, Elite included. So at that point one might as well just buy a PS3 if you are looking ot watch Blu-Ray films.

I'm still up in the air on the issue of 360 games coming to Blu-Ray.
Not sure if that would be fair AT ALL to the people who bought the original.
since the 360 is overpriced by as much as 120 currently....for the sake of argument what I want to see is a price on premiums of 300 and a price on the elites at or around 400, send it to 480 for all I care just get the premiums to 300, they can even be 350 without being moronic.....

334.5.2008 0:27

Games on BR will never happen on the xbox360.

344.5.2008 0:31

Originally posted by lxhotboy:
Games on BR will never happen on the xbox360.
if they put a BR drive in it and try and get 4 more years out the 360 I think it will have a handful of BR titles, the main trouble is they can;t tap the 10 million units sold so it wont be worth their time.

354.5.2008 2:05

there's no question in my mind that switching to blu-ray would void dvd-based 360's.
unless publishers become all of a sudden willing to spend even more money
just to put out the same games on two different media formats.
the current customer base would be left out in the cold, unable to play big multi-platform releases on their obsolete hardware.
hardware rendered obsolete by the manufacturer releasing a new model under the same brand label.

it just wouldn't fly, especially in our litigious society.
i can tell you from experience that consumers are quick to form class-action suits.
it may seem silly now, but when nintendo came out with the snes there was a suit for them making the nes obsolete.
mom had registered both our nintendo's, so we reaped the (smallish) benefits of a free game voucher.
i wonder what a similar case would look like in this situation.

364.5.2008 2:16

Originally posted by snowlock:
there's no question in my mind that switching to blu-ray would void dvd-based 360's.
unless publishers become all of a sudden willing to spend even more money
just to put out the same games on two different media formats.
the current customer base would be left out in the cold, unable to play big multi-platform releases on their obsolete hardware.
hardware rendered obsolete by the manufacturer releasing a new model under the same brand label.

it just wouldn't fly, especially in our litigious society.
i can tell you from experience that consumers are quick to form class-action suits.
it may seem silly now, but when nintendo came out with the snes there was a suit for them making the nes obsolete.
mom had registered both our nintendo's, so we reaped the (smallish) benefits of a free game voucher.
i wonder what a similar case would look like in this situation.
Well MS can mandate no BR games since they have the power to do that, but I think letting devs via for it is a good thing, look at the dev houses out now and how many of them would be willing to to do it because they will only have aces to a few 10K worth of units and not the 10M+ of 360s on the market.

I see the good here but frankly I wont be surprised if they cock it up.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

374.5.2008 8:54
tyrant897
Inactive

I've lost count, if this happens will it be the third or fourth 400 dollar launch of the 360? I'm not buying till the 8th 400 dollar little add on/upgrade happens. joke, I'll avoid for a long time, all my friends have to mail it away too often. All the above is based on needing to buy a whole new 360 to get it of course =)

384.5.2008 10:23

Yeh Micro$oft is money hungry e.g making But the fact is there are ad-ons which means you dont need to buy them and youll still always get to play every game that comes out if you want. They dont force you to buy them!

And everyone who says yeh but RROD is crap and to be honest yeh it is. BUT you only get it if you play the xbox for hours on hours at a time so why not get a life or just have a break from playing every few hours then youd never get RROD.

Im agaisnt them putting BR into new 360s as it screws everyone who bought one before plus it would bump the price up a bit. BUT if they made an ad-on BR for say £150 I WOULD buy it, as its cheeper then any other blue ray, doesnt mean i need a whole new system.

Sony is better but if you ever want to play online you get tons of lag, and you have to have the money in the first place AND there isnt a great selection of games out there for it.
But i Admit you get best graphics and everything but do you profer graphics or gameplay?

Wii is great expect it doesnt even have a DVD player. But its great fun with mates. No other company even tryed anything new expect for Nintendo and incase no ones noticed but the Wii is still doing much better then the other consles.And whoever says the Wii isnt a game console, well you buy it, then you buy games, controlers and it plugs into the tv. And like i said eailer its doing better then the 360 and PS3

394.5.2008 11:43
tyrant897
Inactive

Yes as I said this is only crap if you need to buy a whole new one again.

As far as the RROD , turn it off every few hours! I find that totally silly, thats like buying tv's and being told turn it off every few hours, let it cool for 1 hour then you can watch again. This sort of problem shouldnt be accepted or excused by anyone. Maybe gates could try that with his next operating system, yeah it was 500 bucks, but if you crash to reboot, just turn your computer off for awhile!!

405.5.2008 17:17

Originally posted by tyrant897:
Yes as I said this is only crap if you need to buy a whole new one again.

As far as the RROD , turn it off every few hours! I find that totally silly, thats like buying tv's and being told turn it off every few hours, let it cool for 1 hour then you can watch again. This sort of problem shouldnt be accepted or excused by anyone. Maybe gates could try that with his next operating system, yeah it was 500 bucks, but if you crash to reboot, just turn your computer off for awhile!!
I agree!

I think the reason nobody is "over" the RROD is because of the fact that MS expects people to treat their console like it has a learning disability or something. "Don't take things too fast" or "give it a break once and a while". Meanwhile while you are "taking breaks" your time on LIVE is still costing you money. As much fun as I used to have on the 360, I can't express the amount of time missed on LIVE for taking "breaks" and waiting for my system to be mailed back to me.... its like the cable company charging you while your DVR is turned off in the corner taking a break - meanwhile your favorite shows are being played without you being able to watch them.. but don't worry you still get to play FULL PRICE for the cable bill.

416.5.2008 2:57

Bill Gates says no. But that is not a definite NO.


"The flimsier the product,the higher the price"
Ferengi 82nd rule of aqusition


427.5.2008 2:50

It seems like only yesterday when Microsoft was denying rumors about XBox Elite.

We all know how that turned out.

437.5.2008 13:18

Xbox 360 Media Center Edition/Home Theater Edition?

447.5.2008 20:04

Nahhh !!!!!


"The flimsier the product,the higher the price"
Ferengi 82nd rule of aqusition


Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive