Limewire wants to share ad revenue with record labels

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 14 May 2008 18:56 User comments (13)

Limewire wants to share ad revenue with record labels Limewire CEO George Searle has announced that the company hopes to share its ad revenue with record companies, with the record labels getting as much as 40 percent of the ad money.
Last year the P2P company said it was working on "integrating contextual text ads into its P2P client" and Searle tried to explain better. According to the CEO, "Limewire's 80 million users generate an estimated five billion search requests each month, putting the P2P client in the same league as search engine giants like Google and Yahoo. In fact, Limewire would be the third biggest search destination in terms of unique users, ahead of Live.com and Ask.com, if it was a website."

Limewire is definitely not a website though, and so far has not made one cent from its 5 billion searches. Searle hopes to change that now. "Limewire wants to incorporate contextual ads into its client within the next month. The ads will be at the top of the search results, but clearly marked as advertising. Ads will initially be used to promote Limwire's new music download store, but advertisers should be able to buy these spots soon as well."

Besides the new ad model, Limewire is also working on an interface redesign which will include a web browser.

More news

Related news

114.5.2008 20:26

Although I can respect and apreciate Lime's willingness to try to make a more workable relationship with the very unflexible RIAA, I still think it sets a very poor precident! Do not give an olive branch! They will want the whole frickin tree, soil, water, air, anything to sustain its existence!

214.5.2008 21:34
varnull

see my fingers... where do they point?

malware central + the riaa... what a team!!

314.5.2008 21:58
susieqbbb

ok you need to understand that everything on lime wire isn't malware.

414.5.2008 22:06

good idea

limewire isnt malware central you just have to know what and what not to download

514.5.2008 22:22

Hahahaha, if i do that i then that would only leave 200 files. that are not poisoned in some way.

then again if i ever need to see (HOT_Milf_Gets _i _IN_THe_rear_By horse) ill be sure to download lime wire in the meant time ill just use good ol PTP

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 May 2008 @ 22:23

614.5.2008 22:34
fgamer

Um..I don't think the RIAA or any other entertainment entity are willing to compromise even if it means a 40% stake on any financials generated. Perhaps this is trying to avoid Lime from getting shut down eventually which I wont really miss anyways, so whatever.

714.5.2008 22:39
varnull

Get your stormworm variants and trojan_generic_downloader from my frostwire share folder now :) I give them tempting names to get my botworms into xp machines.. download and I got ya.. hahahaha..

Anybody sharing via this outmoded means is just begging for a visit from the mpaa/riaa lawyers or the malware traders.

Welcome to 2008.. it isn't 1996 any more!!!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 May 2008 @ 22:41

815.5.2008 2:22
theridges

Originally posted by varnull:

Welcome to 2008.. it isn't 1996 any more!!!
yea just do what i do,
search google for the single name.mp3
you will find it ;)

and only idiots get malware or any other harmful thing from limewire.

915.5.2008 8:35

Regardless of personal opinions on how much malware is buried within Limewire's clientele, one thing is for sure:

There are better places to download music readily available.

1015.5.2008 15:40

i agree with you 7singer

1116.5.2008 3:10
leady

nice idea. I think this is the only way to solve p2p legalization problem

1221.5.2008 9:02

I think it is a good idea. I think RIAA is a bigger whore than what most of you suspect. The AMA American Music Association condems ripping saying it is ilegal. However, for a fee they will help you rip. They sell subscriptions to their database for tag info. I am happy to give those scum bags $5-$6 a year to make my rips easier. Their database dwarfs the others.

LW can be both a useful tool and is actually quite safe in the right hands. Still, it is quite limited in several areas espically in the quality of what you get. It is also the most common entry into the P2P arena. Torrents require an extra level of expertise many LW users will never attain.

1324.7.2008 1:39

Do it cuz i want the music industry to stay around and limewire aint bad either