AfterDawn: Tech news

Valve talks out about PC game piracy

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 30 May 2008 14:26 User comments (18)

Valve talks out about PC game piracy Valve president Gabe Newell took the time to talk out about the "threat" of piracy in the PC Market recently, and had some interesting things to add on that matter.
"When you list the things that we worry about in our business, piracy is not one of them," he told the audience when piracy was brought up.

His statements differ from that of many large publishers, who for the most part feel piracy is killing acceptable profit margins in the PC gaming business. Newell feels that Valve's Steam platform is mostly protected from piracy.

"We've got great facilities that make it very hard for people to pirate. And more importantly, the service value of having an ongoing relationship with us is high enough that it causes people to not be very interested in piracy.

"It's a dangerous thing to pirate one of our games because later on, when we catch you, you lose all your games, or you can't play multiplayer."


Before Newell came up, Valve's Jason Holtman was asked how he felt about the rampant piracy in emerging markets such as Russia and China. He felt those fears were misplaced and the problems could be fixed rather easily.

He added that Valve solved the problem of international piracy by releasing their games simultaneously worldwide, unlike most publishers which release the games up to six months later in markets outside of Western Europe and the US.

"We know that that's the major place where this rampant piracy myth comes from,"
Holtman said speaking of Russia. "Rampant piracy is just unserved customers."

"Russians have money, Russians like to play games and Russians have PCs. They love going to stores and not having to use Bittorrent sties."

Previous Next  

18 user comments

130.5.2008 15:07

Refreshing philosophy !!!

230.5.2008 15:13
LILBUCK
Inactive

"Russians have money, Russians like to play games and Russians have PCs. They love going to stores and not having to use Bittorrent sties." I have family that lives in the Ukraine and my cousin from Kiev said that there are more "knock offs" there than the real deal.
Wow, after the statements Gabe made, If I owned stock in the STEAM company I'd sell right away.

330.5.2008 15:23

Gabe is 100% correct. Valves business practices and Steams architecture have proven time and time again that their efforts to battle piracy are working better than any DRM or other form of piracy protection.

Sure you can crack steam games and force the games to believe they are connecting to a steam network server even though the arent. But a lot of steams games just aren't fun without online play

430.5.2008 16:36
oappi
Inactive

Cool thing about steam is that you dont have to make backupīs from your game cd:s since you can always download the game from their servers. I for one just hated to search my game disks after i havent played the game in a year. Valve seems to be the only company who is getting it. They should only use DRM when it doesnīt effect on customeror if it does give something for return. Unfortunately steam requires internet connection. This means that if your or their internet is down you wont be able to login to steam and play. steam seems to be down about once a year (because they upgrade servers) so thats not a big deal if you have somewhat reliable isp. Games also seem to be cheaper. I got my orange box cheaper than what i would have paid for tf2 on store. Also i got to buy o box before tf2 hit the stores and play half life2 and itīs episodes while i w8 for tf2.

530.5.2008 16:43
varnull
Inactive

Yeah... these guys have got it right. Top marks. I love the way we could crack the orange box and play it on any damn platform we wanted, and valve helped us... keep going dudes.. when you release your first truly open source game you will get $25 from me.. just because.

630.5.2008 17:44

good thing Portal is single player, i might've "missed out"

730.5.2008 18:05

Anyone seen this yet? I can see it stopping people who buy "bundled PC's". But, I cant imagine buying a motherboard with this chip on it.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52841

830.5.2008 19:58

Originally posted by varnull:
Yeah... these guys have got it right. Top marks. I love the way we could crack the orange box and play it on any damn platform we wanted, and valve helped us... keep going dudes.. when you release your first truly open source game you will get $25 from me.. just because.
oh?

BTW they finially did something aobut offline mode you have to set it to offline mode for it to work offline you can just pull the plug, offline mode and spying on which you can opt out of were my 2 main concerns for steam, i still think they need to do more to have to easier to setup in offline mode tho.

930.5.2008 20:49

I have no issues with the way Steam runs and operates, my one problem is that whenever you install a game it sits there and downloads updates. Me personally, I'm stuck on a slow internet connection so it takes several hours anytime I install a game off my copy of The Orange Box. Otherwise I have not a single complaint with Valve and their anti-piracy methods.

1030.5.2008 21:00

Originally posted by engage16:
I have no issues with the way Steam runs and operates, my one problem is that whenever you install a game it sits there and downloads updates. Me personally, I'm stuck on a slow internet connection so it takes several hours anytime I install a game off my copy of The Orange Box. Otherwise I have not a single complaint with Valve and their anti-piracy methods.
the lock on updates is a anti piracy method.
they should handle updates in a separate process of the team,should be easily pausalbe and resumable as well.

1130.5.2008 21:06

It just sucks that if I want to play HL2 and I have to sit through an hour of updates before I get to play...

1230.5.2008 21:09

Originally posted by engage16:
It just sucks that if I want to play HL2 and I have to sit through an hour of updates before I get to play...

They need to refine the whole steam process, offline mode is is seamless with online mode, after activation is it cannot find the steam severs it shouldn't lock up or go buggy, if you want a update slot it like a download manager this all can be done in the steam app, it can the game can run at the same time,updates can be applied once the download is completed and you are ready to update date it.

1331.5.2008 21:43
drach
Inactive

Quote:
Cool thing about steam is that you dont have to make backupīs from your game cd:s since you can always download the game from their servers.
I agree with that 100%!

Quote:
It just sucks that if I want to play HL2 and I have to sit through an hour of updates before I get to play...
I just installed the orange box yesterday, and i only had to update steam, nothing else. The whole install/update process took about 20 or 25 minutes.

1431.5.2008 22:00

Originally posted by drach:
I just installed the orange box yesterday, and i only had to update steam, nothing else. The whole install/update process took about 20 or 25 minutes.
Its no issue if your on DSL or Cable, but if your on dialup, like I am, then there becomes an issue. It takes too damn long to install needless updates on a 31.2kb/s connection. I'd have no problem having to be connected to verify my account and serial key when installing the game, except for the part of forced updates. Luckily after you first install and update the games you can choose to disable autoupdating for the future.

152.6.2008 11:38

"It's a dangerous thing to pirate one of our games because later on, when we catch you, you lose all your games, or you can't play multiplayer."

THIS DOES HAPPEN - THEY WILL LOCK GAMES YOU PAID FOR! HAHA!

162.6.2008 11:40

Originally posted by max777:
"It's a dangerous thing to pirate one of our games because later on, when we catch you, you lose all your games, or you can't play multiplayer."

THIS DOES HAPPEN - THEY WILL LOCK GAMES YOU PAID FOR! HAHA!
Be funny if they whacked a game or account over the use of legal cracks and what not.

Besides why use the account setup of you have a steamless rip 0-o

173.6.2008 11:48
cursh
Inactive

I like Valve alot cause Gabe Newell and his staff think outside the box.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Jun 2008 @ 11:49

1812.6.2008 4:47

Originally posted by gokou135:
Gabe is 100% correct. Valves business practices and Steams architecture have proven time and time again that their efforts to battle piracy are working better than any DRM or other form of piracy protection.

Sure you can crack steam games and force the games to believe they are connecting to a steam network server even though the arent. But a lot of steams games just aren't fun without online play
I was interested in playing the Half Life out of the Orange Box, but with steam, it said that I had to have a constant connection to the internet in order to play, I didn't like that because at home, I have dialup, whereas I could do setup for the highspeed at a friends house. I ended up having to freeze a file in STEAM, and I also had to keep it running (STEAM) in order to play the game after I left the internet. I don't see why I needed to have a connection to the internet to play Half-Life. There is simply no point to it.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive