Disney decides chat clients are the killer app for BD Live

Written by Rich Fiscus (Google+) @ 12 Jun 2008 2:52 User comments (13)

Disney decides chat clients are the killer app for BD Live Disney, a studio which has been very public in their support for Blu-ray since the format was introduced, appears ready to take full advantage of the BD Live features that will finally be available in a number of new players later this year. BD Live enables web-based content to be added to Blu-ray discs. Taking advantage of such content obviously requires that your player be connected to the internet. Currently it also requires a PS3 since it's the only player compatible with Blu-ray's Profile 2.0.
Disney's first foray into web enabled Blu-ray content will be part of a special 50 anniversary edition of Sleeping Beauty. It will include a chat feature allowing viewers to connect with others watching the movie at the same time. It will also apparently require the use of a Blackberry or similar device for text entry.

“The idea of my little girl being able to experience the movie and chat in real time with her grandparents across the country is very exciting to me,” said Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment president Bob Chapek during a presentation Monday night.

He added “We are introducing this important feature on Sleeping Beauty, but imagine the possibilities of extending this to other titles such as High School Musical or, eventually, ABC’s hit show ‘Lost.’ Can you imagine the level of excitement that will create with the tweens or the rabid fan base of ‘Lost’?”

Although certainly an interesting idea, it doesn't seem like a particularly compelling argument for buying a new Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player.

112.6.2008 3:29

...turning to other news, a recent study of several surveys conducted on the general public concerning their opinion of BD-Live functions leads analysts to believe that further development is pointless because 90% of the public DOESN'T CARE!

lol

212.6.2008 8:09

Originally posted by H0bbes:

lol

Agreed!

312.6.2008 8:12

Exactly. Until they come up with compelling BD-Live content it really isn't a deal breaker for me. Final profile 1.1 players are good enough for most.

I had the same feeling for web-enabled content on my HD DVD discs. The online store on the Evan Almighty disc comes to mind. Watch the movie then buy recycled toilet paper. Hooray for that.

Panasonic PT-AE3000 1080p Projector//Carada 110" Criterion High Contrast Grey 16:9 Screen//Oppo BDP-83SE//Toshiba HD-XA2
Classe SSP800 Processor//Classe CA-5200 5 Channel Amplifier//Classe CA-2200 2 Channel Amplifier
Bowers & Wilkins 802D L-R/HTM 1D Center/SCMS Surrounds/JL Audio Fathom f113 x 2

412.6.2008 8:43

although this does seem like a "lost" attempt and I'll be "sleeping Beautifully" know that I'll be missing this. It is a neat attempt. I applaud Disney for some of the stuff their doing in the movie industry.
I say that, but I also remember that Disney dvds were the hardest to crack to make back-ups, and their big pitfall with the flex-play dvds.
But they are trying I believe to appeal to consumers, they are the first to try this online thing, and also are offering a select few of their movies to watch online for free online.
And although I may give them praise..........I know they are still a money hungry, cash hording, purly evil, power driven company whos main focus is pulling my hard earned money out of my pocket.
LD

512.6.2008 9:35

no offense, but why would i be wanting to chat with someone while i am watching a movie, i can't stand it when people interrupt the movie by talking, let alone trying to read something on the screen about someone talking about a movie i am enjoying...lol :P

612.6.2008 10:28

Originally posted by lawndog:

LD
I don't know about the "purly evil" part but you pretty much describe every company. I don't see what the big deal is about companies wanting your money. You don't have to buy their products, they will find someone else or the will go the way of the dodo.

Why? Here is a better idea. Most wireless plans offer free calling between "in network" phones. Just call the person and put the phones on speaker. A lot easier and you can talk to them instead of trying to focus on typing while watching a move. But then again, I agree with venomX05, I don't like people talking while watching a movie, what makes you think chatting is going to be any different.

712.6.2008 11:58

?The idea of my little girl being able to experience the movie and chat in real time with her grandparents across the country is very exciting to me,? said Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment president Bob Chapek during a presentation Monday night.
ZOMG...high-tech Granny, with a PS3, HDTV, a copy of Sleeping Beauty, and a Blackberry showing off her mad QUERTY skillz! Fo' Shiz!

I'd rather my kid call his Grandparents on the phone and tell them about the movie he watched. And then maybe chatting about something else. Geez, My parents and in-laws still write checks for EVERYTHING and still won't buy from off the internet.

Maybe this is a good idea if Bluray ever takes over the world, but until then, it has to be the stupidest application I've heard yet. How many times is a "tween" going coordinate watching a movie with friends at the same time so that they can chat?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Jun 2008 @ 15:54

812.6.2008 14:18

This is great for all these kids today with attention deficits.

912.6.2008 15:30

Wow, I thought that this was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread when it was on HD-DVD. What has changed?

1012.6.2008 16:23

Originally posted by glassd:
The HD DVD version wasn't any better: download ringtones, download movie trailers, buy "Evan Almighty" recycled toilet paper - total lack of imagination.

Like error5 said: Most people will be totally satisfied with a Profile 1.1 player until the studios can come up with BD-Live content that's worth the hassle.

1112.6.2008 22:58

Originally posted by venomX05:

Actually, one use of this may be for synchronized playback between 2 locations. For example, one house with a group of friends syncing up with more friends (old college buddies, etc) to watch OLD SCHOOL together, with PIP webcams even. When paused in one location, it pauses the other, and they can interact with the mic and webcam.

Now, that might not be for everyone, but it's a cool use of the technology, and may be something that could spur sales for those companies (you'd both need to own the movie... just like Xbox live games). They are right about social networking and interacting being a HUGE segment of web trends over the last 3 years or so.

Pity that most BR players can't do this right now. HD-DVD had those hardware specs standard on all players. (not to rehash, just sayin')

1213.6.2008 9:49

Elfman got an interesting point! It's definitely not for everyone but the way Elfman put it, it does sound like something i'll do with my friends. Think about this, old school movies, friends are living far away, you want to watch the movie together and comment the parts of the movies together. For example, things like "damn, i told you she's making that funny face for a split second." "Dude, it's the same chick in the other film, she's just younger." You can't really do this with the speaker phone...

As for Granny getting high tech, yeah, again, not every one of them. But the concept of kids in touch with two generations up is quite touching, don't you think? For that reason, i love the Coca Cola commercial with the Granpa finding a quarter behind the kid's ear.

As long as this feature doesn't jack up the price of the BD by considerate amount (actually, should not increase by any). I'm all for it... Think about this, if you're traveling and you promised to watch Sleep Beauty with your little princess, now you can :)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Jun 2008 @ 9:50

1313.6.2008 20:36
atomicxl

Thats actually kinda cool.