NEC has 8x Blu-ray recorder in the works

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 20 Jun 2008 15:27 User comments (12)

NEC has 8x Blu-ray recorder in the works NEC says that the company has developed technology that will make 8x Blu-ray burners a reality in the near future.
The average current Blu-ray burners can record at 2x or 4x and NEC drives can burn at 5x. For the most part, thanks to high prices, Blu-ray burners have taken a back seat to drives that are only capable of reading Blu-ray discs but it appears NEC is doing its best to change that.

Samples of the new 8x chipset have already been sent to manufacturers and the technology should "merge a digital signal processor (DSP) with an analog one." The analog processor was originally intended for 20x DVD burners.

NEC is combining circuits that would normally be housed separately and by doing so will reduce the size of the system-on-chip by 20 percent and cut power consumption by one-third.

The drive maker has also created a cheaper version that can read Blu-ray discs at fast speeds but does not offer Blu-ray recording. There was no word on commercial availability but NEC did add that it was working on technology for 16x BD drives.

120.6.2008 20:52

Nice to have, but really, why would you buy a $20 or more blank Blu-Ray Disc, and burn more than 2X? Your just asking for it to skip or freeze.

221.6.2008 8:17

Wonder where this one is going to price out at?

321.6.2008 8:57

LG GGW-H20N is capable of burning Blu-ray discs at 6x. This drive is also a HD-DVD ROM combo. I will be upgrading from the GGC-H20N (Blu-ray/HD-DVD read only) to this drive very soon.

The GGW-H20N is available in Australia for only $340. :-)

421.6.2008 10:18

The GGW-H20N is available in Australia for only $340. :-)

I could deal with that.

521.6.2008 16:44

Originally posted by Ryu77:

The GGW-H20N is available in Australia for only $340. :-)

280 average in the US

621.6.2008 18:56
blueroad

i fail to see how this changes things..i mean BD isnt worth buying with all the DRM and pricing issues attached anyway..maybe its just me

721.6.2008 19:15

DRM? Ever heard of AnyDVD? As for more prices how about BD-R's for $8-$12 (Verbatim's, Panny's, Imation, TDK's etc.) and that is just through a quick google search. There have been specials as low as $5 a piece, not bad for the GB's you get...it's only a matter of time when they will be widely available at an affordable price. Just as every media before it has.

823.6.2008 6:55

Originally posted by Oner:
Sounds like they have hit my price range.

923.6.2008 7:33
varnull

And since when has TDK and Imation been good media?

1023.6.2008 9:10

Originally posted by varnull:
And since when has TDK and Imation been good media?
Here we go again... Varnull seeks out another opportunity to have a crack at Blu-ray. Give it a rest please.

I believe Oner was stating those brands to show evidence that there is more than one brand offering that price point.

Did you miss the fact that Verbatim was the first brand that he mentioned?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Jun 2008 @ 9:13

"Great minds discuss ideas... Average minds discuss events... Small minds discuss people"

PS3 compatible video creation thread... mkv2vob, tsMuxeR etc.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

1123.6.2008 13:53

Originally posted by Ryu77:
Originally posted by varnull:
And since when has TDK and Imation been good media?

Did you miss the fact that Verbatim was the first brand that he mentioned?

Exactly, I couldn't have said it any better myself, Thank You. Funny thing is a few years ago I used nothing but Princo media before anything else as it worked in EVERYTHING I threw it into. PS2, Xbox, DVD Players, PC etc. Maybe it's because I go by my own standards and real world checks not by what "others" feel...but that's just me, doing my own due diligence in what suits my needs correctly. Hell I still don't use Taiyo's as they don't work in everything I need them to, currently I use Prodisc as they are a bit cheaper cost wise and give WAY better results in my electronics.

PS2
PS3
Xbox
Xbox 360
Wii
PC
DVD PLayers
Car Audio
Car Video
Etc.

So Varnull while you totally missed my whole point & think some media is not "good"; many others have different results. Plus it probably has to do with the components I use, how I burn them & what programs I use to get the job done properly.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Jun 2008 @ 13:55

1223.6.2008 14:39

Imation BluRay media code out as MEI-T01 (Matsushita/Panasonic - Japan). TDK BluRay media code out as TDKBLDWBA.

No CMC Mags for BluRay media.

Taiyo Yuden, MCC/Mitsubishi and Maxell/Hitachi have released LTH BD-R discs based on an organic dye:

The advantages of the LTH manufacturing technology is that it can be applied without requiring large-scale manufacturing plant investments, allowing for using modified CD-R and DVD-R manufacturing equipment.