Iomega launches 'Screenplay TV Link' device

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 07 Aug 2008 18:27 User comments (7)

Iomega launches 'Screenplay TV Link' device Iomega announced today the launch of its latest product, the Screenplay TV Link which will also users to play multimedia content they have stored on external HDDs.
The device connects to the storage media using a USB 2.0 connection and has video outputs for HDMI, component and composite. Notably, the device can upscale SD content to 720p and 1080i HD.

Electronista says "MP3, AC3, WAV, WMA, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (both AVI and VOB) and MPEG-4" are all supported and JPG for pictures. For audio playback, composite RCAs and a coaxial or optical connections are included.

The device itself is based on Iomega's Screenplay technology which has so far been incorporated in their ScreenPlay HD Multimedia drive which was the same principal but had its own included HDD.

The device is available now for $100 USD in stores and online.

18.8.2008 1:43

IOMEGA Still exists last time i heard a peep out of them it was because there zip drives failed horribly.

i guess streaming devices are the rage these days,

28.8.2008 3:20

sounds like the popcorn hour, but cheaper. yay! im actually interested in these, im tired of storing them in 4.5gb discs.

38.8.2008 9:59

I don't really think you can compare this to popcorn hour (much more codec support, 1080p, etc...)

48.8.2008 13:06
blueroad

hmm this actually sounds interesting..and with a pricetag of 91$ u dun hav much to lose

58.8.2008 18:22

Originally posted by DXR88:

i guess streaming devices are the rage these days,
I like iomega. You have to give them credit, that in the late 90's when 3.5's were still the standard disc, they came out with a good product. The 100 mb zip discs were awesome and I bought them. Now, iomega screwed up because it didn't really adapt. Sure they came out with some higher storage discs, but they stagnated.

This is an interesting idea. If I can take an external harddrive with several hundred gigs of movies, and then just hook that up to this device and be able to watch on TV, that is good.

The only problem is that I can already do this with my xbox 360 networked to my computer. So Iomega is still a bit behind.

68.8.2008 18:27

which will also (methinks should read allow)users to play multimedia content they have stored on external HDDs.

my philips dvd player with usb port has been able to do this for nearly 2 years now

78.8.2008 23:33

it was a great idea, but like you said adaption issue's,

I don't see me running out to buy this its great if you don't already have one, or something similar to it it. most stand alone dvd Player/Recorders have usb port witch allow movie play back from most removable device's, only thing that plaques those is the limited codec's
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Aug 2008 @ 23:34