Update: Activision responds to Warner's music game royalties statement

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 15 Aug 2008 13:34 User comments (10)

Update: Activision responds to Warner's music game royalties statement Last week we reported that large music studio Warner wanted higher royalties for use of their music in games such as Rock Band or Guitar Hero.
In a statement today, Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick has struck back at Warner, calling the company disrespectful.

Kotick added that Warner Music's comments were not "respectful of how much we've done to bring new audiences into the market". Kotick also added that his company and others had to invest heavily to make the games "fun to play."

"I think his view was...that [Warner Music] should be compensated the way they might for a performance on iTunes. But this is an entirely different business that is very technically complex. We're going to favour those publishers that recognise and appreciate how much we can add value to their artists,"
added Kotick.

"We're introducing a whole new group of artists to new audiences that is resulting in their iTunes downloads being exponentially higher than they would otherwise be, [as well as] new album sales and new merchandising opportunities."

Kotick obviously has a logical point, but will Warner see it that way?

Related news

115.8.2008 15:01
fgamer

Well maybe they should drop business with Warner. I just will never understand the greed that exist in all ready rich companies.

215.8.2008 16:49

So now we'll be paying twice as much for Guitar Hero or Rock Band, is what Warner is TRYING to get to by forcing the hand of these publishers. How dumb. I can see it now: you have to buy Rock Band for a couple hundred bucks and then spend $5 for each song. Great way to kill this product off Warner. I'm sure your suits are all giving "attaboys" in the office.

315.8.2008 17:50
H08

Originally posted by fgamer:
they cant drop warner, thats the only way metallica will come to guitar hero!!!!!

415.8.2008 17:55
H08

Originally posted by SProdigy:
lol, "attaboys" lol

515.8.2008 19:35

Not necessarily they could contact the artist directly, and ask THE ARTIST's that made the music in the first place, and see if they could cut some kinda of deal.

615.8.2008 19:41
varnull

Who gives a toss about metallica? I sold my cd's on a boot sale at 50p a shot after they sided with the enemy..

Bunch of boring old fart has-beens living on the glories of 15 years ago.. just like gene and his bastard son whipping dog prince.. as Zappa put it "here Fido.. fetch the slippers"!!

as a musician I have to say.. guitar hero.. what a bag of wank! for 40 you can buy a serviceable guitar and small amp and learn to play for real... maybe even make some money off it one day.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Aug 2008 @ 19:43

715.8.2008 19:50

Originally posted by varnull:

LOL.

816.8.2008 0:16
H08

Originally posted by varnull:

......dude i dont want to start an argument here at the risk at me getting suspended but every album since the (1991)black album to St.Anger(2003)Has Gone #1, Its Kind Of Hard For Them To live In There Past When There Still Making #1's dont ya think. and there new album that comes out next month will too.

I also play guitar and you wouldnt even be able to get one of crapiest guitars and amps for 40 EU ON EBAY!!!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Aug 2008 @ 13:32

Originally posted by fun2000:
Your friend in nam is not lying. She has a modded PS2, and the modder was generous enough to relabel the PS2 to PS3.
Then the pirate selling games relabeled Assassins Creed 1 and called it Assassins Creed 2. This is called marketing.
Your friend is honest and thinks she plays AC2 on a PS3. In reality she is playing AC1 on a PS2.

924.8.2008 7:25

Typical. Warner haven't got much else to do these days so they have to stick their greedy noses into Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Its gone from complaining about p2p to internet radio and now video game royalties. What's next?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Aug 2008 @ 11:47

1024.8.2008 10:51