Higher capacity Zunes coming

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 30 Aug 2008 14:59 User comments (13)

Higher capacity Zunes coming According to a new leak, the next Zune update will mainly just offer higher capacity drives with not much else.
The leak shows the official boxes of an updated 120GB Zune, as well as a 16GB flash-based Zune each of which are almost identical to their lower capacity predecessors with the exception of glossy surfaces.

Microsoft did not comment on the leak but did say that the hardware upgrades would be part of "a larger strategy in the fall that includes software upgrades." It is still unclear what these upgrades will be however.

The Zune upgrades come at the same time as rumors swirl about upcoming iPod upgrades that will offer completely redesigned iPod Classic and iPod Nano lines.

Picture thanks to original source here:

More news

Related news

130.8.2008 16:04

YaY! Bigger capacities for Zunes!!!!! whooooo!!!.......So what?...I've had a 160GB iPod Classic since October last year...And I still haven't filled it up...

If you like Zunes, then this is great news...if not, like me, this is just another newspost on AfterDawn.

230.8.2008 16:32

I'll probably pick one up. I have two 30GB zunes and they are both completely filled.

330.8.2008 16:54

If they ever upgrade there software to divx and xvid support id upgrade to a new Zune. For now im happy with my 30 gig.

430.8.2008 17:47

Is that much storage capacity really necessary? I guess if one prefers to not to have to go through the pain and agony of swapping out music and doesn't mind paying the extra hundred of so dollars, then that type of Mp3 player is for them.

As for me, I don't mind swapping out music from my 2GB Mp3 player, b/c that is more than enough music for me. I don't really need or want to spend more money just for the convenience of not having to swap out music. It's kind of excessive.

Oh as for watching videos, I'd rather watch them on a bigger screen then a small one.

531.8.2008 2:15

guys hows the Zunes compare sound quality wise/volume level compared to the I-Pod?

I have a 80 gig I-Pod classic and like it but i really dislike I-Tunes and all i do is transfer my own CDs to it. I've never bought anything from I-Tunes and never will

631.8.2008 3:04

Originally posted by ZoSoIV:

Zune sound quality is notably better than Ipods. There are quite a few reviews (some on Cnet) that do a head to head, and most tend to agree with that.

731.8.2008 4:37

I will have to look up prices and reviews on the flash-based Zune. A 16GB drive would be excellent for me as I only use at most 10GB on my video iPod.

Plus I love to listen to music while I run and it isn't good for the hard drive in the iPod.

Due to the amount of running I do, I believe it is causing the hard drive to die as it occasionally, and worsening, skips during songs, freezes at random times during play and at the menu etc.

Maybe not but I assume since a flash-based drive has no moving parts running and other physical activities won't harm it, unlike a hard drive-based Zune, iPod, etc.

Peace

831.8.2008 15:42

I was wondering about the sound quality also. I have an 8gb nano and a 30GB Ipod video.

I actually don't mind watching video on such a small screen. I used to think I wouldn't like it, but I was amazed at the quality of it.

I just like it when I am away from home. Something to watch.

I may have to check out the Zune also.

931.8.2008 16:30
atomicxl

I wish the Zune could decode 720p MP4. That combined with the video out would be great for me. I'm always around tvs when i'm not at home, but all my content is usually 720p.

One a sidenote, i've got what I consider to be "alot" of content on my zune 20gb and its still only 12gb full.

1031.8.2008 16:37

Originally posted by ZoSoIV:

Zo, i really like the sound quality of my Zune.

I do hate the software, however.

1131.8.2008 16:42
atomicxl

Originally posted by atomicxl:

It would also be nice if MS' own software supported its hardware. The Zune program is horrible and for some reason the Zune isn't compatible with whatever format MS uses to sync mp3 players with windows media player (light years better than Zune).

On a sidenote, i've got what I consider to be "alot" of content on my zune 20gb and its still only 12gb full.

1231.8.2008 17:52
sKrEwZ

So far I have been pretty happy with my Zune. I'm looking forward to higher capacity models, even if I have yet to fill mine up.

131.9.2008 19:31

I'd buy one IF it I can downloads my podcast via open wireless network.

Latest user comments