Free Wi-Fi at McDonald's for Zune users

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 17 Sep 2008 14:42 User comments (22)

Free Wi-Fi at McDonald's for Zune users Microsoft has announced that it has signed a deal with the Wi-Fi provider Wayport and with McDonald's franchises that will allow Zune users to access free Internet at any one of 10,000 McDonald's without a password or special web page log-in.
The new deal addresses what could have been a potential problem with the Zune's new ability to stream music wirelessly. Users cannot access any public hotspot that requires a browser redirect (Zune has no built-in browser) but this problem is now somewhat solved as users will have at least 10,000 guaranteed places where they can have internet and access to the Zune store.

The deal is similar to the one Apple has with Starbucks which allows iPod users to buy music from the iTunes Music Store or browse the music that is playing at that Starbucks as they sit there.

Related news

117.9.2008 18:33
susieqbbb

zune sucks and hardly anyone has them.

217.9.2008 18:40
1bonehead

Just shameless commercialism.

317.9.2008 18:49

lmao.. i used to have a zune.. its crap.. it doesnt use the same id3 tags.. so u have to rewrite everything.. also my ipod touch works fine in mcronalds house =]

417.9.2008 18:54
varnull

So does our wireless dongle from across the road... thanks McD's.. we do all our dodgy downloading through you ;).. and I have still never eaten anything you sell

517.9.2008 18:55
1bonehead

Originally posted by lxfactor:

Ouch !

The BPI Are: SONY, UNIVERSAL, WARNER GROUP, EMI.
The RIAA Soundexchange Are: SONY, UNIVERSAL, WARNER GROUP, EMI.
The IFPI Are: The same anti consumer lot as listed above!
The MPAA Are: SONY, UNIVERSAL, WARNER GROUP, DISNEY, PARAMOUNT, FOX.

617.9.2008 18:57
1bonehead

Originally posted by varnull:

You are not missing anything (except maybe the french fries)

The BPI Are: SONY, UNIVERSAL, WARNER GROUP, EMI.
The RIAA Soundexchange Are: SONY, UNIVERSAL, WARNER GROUP, EMI.
The IFPI Are: The same anti consumer lot as listed above!
The MPAA Are: SONY, UNIVERSAL, WARNER GROUP, DISNEY, PARAMOUNT, FOX.

717.9.2008 21:28

Originally posted by 1bonehead:
You are not missing anything (except maybe the french fries)
Their french fries are pure fat with 500% salt. Even KFC has better fries. McD is good for people who want to gradually get a stroke.

817.9.2008 21:45

Originally posted by susieqbbb:
zune sucks and hardly anyone has them.

My zune is great and I've upgrade to the newest firmware over the last 2 major upgrades/releases... so all the new features are not just available on the newer models, but even us with v1 models have the same feature upgrades. And the sound quality is head an shoulders above any ipod product right now. I'm quite happy with mine, thank you.

917.9.2008 22:56

I'm also very happy with my Zunes. This is good news. I think I'll go get a Big Mac and a flurry right now.

1018.9.2008 0:37

lxfactor;
Your one of the few people that have said the zune suxs. sorry you feel that way. I'll agree the software for the comp aint the greatest, actually a pain till you learn how to use it.The update do work for version 1 zunes. I upgraded mine last night, I especially like the fact that you can but songs you hear off the radio.
Any whos yall have fun
LD

1118.9.2008 1:33
susieqbbb

Actually i hate to tell you that mcdonald's french frys don't use a lot of salt but suger how do you think they get them to brown.

Salt doesn't brown it burns.

1218.9.2008 2:14

Why does Zune suck?
I own the 30g, does all I need it to do, play music...
If I wanted to do anything else id buy a laptop or PDA I guess. Its not worth watching movies in something like ipod, Zune or whatever, too small and battery life sucks for any players, I routinly get stuck in a plane traveling 12-18hrs. My Zune, gym and travel, works like a champ.

So again, why does Zune suck?
Just wondering what people think a 200 dollar MP3 player should do or what they trying to do with it. I guess some people is just greedy or cheap...

1318.9.2008 3:37

Originally posted by susieqbbb:
zune sucks and hardly anyone has them.
This is not a 6th Grade popularity contest. What sucks about a Zune? I have one. Just because my buddy next door wasted his money on an Apple Ipod does not alter the fact that my 80GB Zune does everything I need it to do. I find it very convenient and it sounds wonderful. The only problem I have with it is the file program for the computer. Outside that, the Zune is nice.

1418.9.2008 11:50

**Didn't read article**

Wifi is free there anyway isn't it?

1518.9.2008 11:54
sKrEwZ

I like my Zune for what it is. I will however not be using it in McDonalds. I've got a nice little Chinese joint across the street from work that's just a hop from McD's. I'll go there. ;)

Some assembly required.

1618.9.2008 12:02

Zune hasn't matched Apples price reduction yet. Amazon has the 30GB Zune going for $199 and their 80GB model going for $229. Apples 80GB iPod Classic is $198. Both mp3 players newer 120GB model are priced the same - $249.99. Any word on the Zune coming down,because a 30GB mp3 player is all I really need? If Apple can bring their 80GB model down to $200, then MS should be able to bring the Zune to $150 at most.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Sep 2008 @ 12:04

1718.9.2008 15:20
Globe08

Originally posted by 1bonehead:
You are not missing anything (except maybe the french fries)
Arent they the number one food chain in the world as far as fast food? Someone most like them. Also KFC isnt exaclty a model for healthy food. This is all coming from a 180lb 6'0 person. Im not an advocate fore fast food but this whole health food thing is trash. Its more expensive to eat healthy than to eat bad is part of the reason people so often do it on top of the easiness factor.Which brings me to my next point is when people say "americans are fat and lazy". Its just strange that our trends spread everywhere and were arguably the most diverse place on earth as far as ethnicity.

On to the topic at hand, why do people see the need to bash what MS and McDonalds have done with wi-fi? It either doesnt affect you orhelps you. Either way its not a negative.END RANT

1819.9.2008 12:28

Originally posted by Joshewah:
**Didn't read article**

Wifi is free there anyway isn't it?
Depends on the device. Nintendo DS and now Zune have advertised free WiFi. However, if you have a laptop, I believe they use WayPoint and/or AT&T (which is a partner with WayPoint anyhow.) There are pay scales, for a few hours or for 24 hour access, just like some hotels and airports.

I used to have an AT&T account, which is only a few bucks more if you carry their DSL. If not, it's another $20+ down the drain each month. You're better off with an air card or using your cell phone's data plan with Internet Connection Sharing if you own a laptop.

1920.9.2008 16:13
ericg8

Originally posted by susieqbbb:
...And the sound quality is head an shoulders above any ipod product right now.
Put down the crackpipe there spanky. Both Zunes and Ipods simply play the files loaded onto them. I RIP all my CDs at 320 bit rate with joint stereo off and the sound is great. If you are getting crappy sound with good files, check your headphones. I use a Bose noise canceling muffs on my iPod Touch. Sounds perfect.

2022.9.2008 8:53

Micky D's all right the Big News is ......
Zune now supports audible.com audio Books !!!
Going to take the Zune HD out of the Ipod and
do the upgrade !

2124.9.2008 11:14

jeeze.. i mean for me it sucks.. sorry.. it wasnt a general statement.. or a bashing.. my opinion.. yall so quick to defend it.. i havent done the new update.. the old one was enough for me.. to switch over to a 32GB touchy.. =P

2224.9.2008 13:20
varnull

Just wanted to pop back in and ask you guys if you heard of airsnort

thanks mcD's for the 20 gigs a month nice and safe.. more wireless=more unauthorised downloading,

http://www.kaled.org.uk/ .. brace yourself

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Sep 2008 @ 13:28