Blu-ray recorders are over 50 percent of market in Japan

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 11 Dec 2008 17:27 User comments (10)

Blu-ray recorders are over 50 percent of market in Japan According to numbers compiled by GfK Retail and Technology, the market share for Blu-ray disc recorders in Japan has finally surpassed that of DVD.
Going back to April 2002, DVD recorders had only 10 percent of the market, with VHS having the rest, but DVD rapidly took more market share.

However, with falling prices, Blu-ray recorder sales are picking up steam in Japan, as well as market share.

According to GfK, in the last six months, the average price for a BD recorder has dropped from $1300 to $950.

111.12.2008 23:24

Really that's all ? Only $950 now. I think I might pick one up.

211.12.2008 23:37

Ok, is it just me or does $950 still seem expensive? And if BD has over 50% of Japans market does that mean japanese are just rich or is $950 just cheap to them?

312.12.2008 11:27

@ rainofire.. my thoughts exactly..i was thinking more like subpar of $200 but $950 still? wow japan sure loves their BD. But this is good news for Blu-ray.

412.12.2008 12:09

Thats the price of the newest writers going but older/cheaper BD writers are around 200-300.

The media is about 4-12$ per 25GB, in acoupel more years the new mainstream qaulity burners will be 80-250 and its media about 1-5$ per 25GB

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Dec 2008 @ 12:10

512.12.2008 12:18

My first DVD recorder the Panasonic E-80H cost me $1200CAD. It would be about the same for a BD recorder? Where can I buy one that is compatible with our TV system? That's not a bad price at all. However, with all the no copy flags and other "I don't want you to copy our shows" nonsense on specific networks (like HBO, CN, etc.) why would I bother? And since we can't record the direct stream like they allow you to do in Japan, I can't retain the surround sound tracks nor get the absolute best picture quality (I have no HD source available to me other than satellite). Well, time to forget that Christmas present....

612.12.2008 12:23

Originally posted by Oldfart13:
I wonder if soemone will build a HDMI device that plugs inbetween the receiver and the recorder to ignore the restrictions. I mean can;t a programmable frimware device thats not loaded with the program is updated with codes via USB and what not to be future proof work?

712.12.2008 15:54

What is meant by "finally"?

That's impressive no matter how it's "spun."

812.12.2008 19:21

This recorder on NewEgg is $250:

If the average is $950, what is this one's story?

912.12.2008 20:08

Originally posted by prestonC:
This recorder on NewEgg is $250:

If the average is $950, what is this one's story?
The recorders referred to in the article are standalone units - not PC drives. These standalone units usually have large hard drives and digital HD tuners.

The Pioneer BDR-ED900 has a 1TB hard drive and and dual HD tuners.

Originally posted by Oldfart13:
My first DVD recorder the Panasonic E-80H cost me $1200CAD.
I remember my dad's first standalone DVD recorder (c.1999) was a Panasonic unit from Japan which cost upwards of $2,000.

Panasonic PT-AE3000 1080p Projector//Carada 110" Criterion High Contrast Grey 16:9 Screen//Oppo BDP-83SE//Toshiba HD-XA2
Classe SSP800 Processor//Classe CA-5200 5 Channel Amplifier//Classe CA-2200 2 Channel Amplifier
Bowers & Wilkins 802D L-R/HTM 1D Center/SCMS Surrounds/JL Audio Fathom f113 x 2

1012.12.2008 20:13

Great. Thanks!

I wasn't even aware that there were viable Blu-Ray burners until today. I am going to see if I can get one for X-mas (PC drive).