Smashing Pumpkins are done with albums, only iTunes singles for now on

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Dec 2008 22:24 User comments (12)

Smashing Pumpkins are done with albums, only iTunes singles for now on Citing a change in the musical landscape over the past few years, the rock band The Smashing Pumpkins have announced they will no longer record any new albums and instead will release singles for iTunes only.
The once extremely popular band who took a 7 year break before returning in 2007 noted that "disappointing sales and a comparatively poor reception" for their comeback album ‘Zeitgeist’ also influenced the decision.

Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins guitarist and lead vocalist, added, “We're done with that. There is no point. People don't even listen to it all. They put it on their iPod, they drag over the two singles and skip over the rest.”

“The listening patterns have changed, so why are we killing ourselves to do albums, to create balance and do the arty track to set up the single? It's done.”

Corgan does feel there are some artists that can "buck the trend" because of how influential they are.

“When Bruce Springsteen puts out a new album, I pay attention. Same with Neil Young. Because they're major artists who have something to say. I consider us in that category. When we do something it should be taken seriously, even when we're off.”

113.12.2008 22:27

don't suck

213.12.2008 22:32

Yeah, I never listened to the Bashing Bumpkins in the first place, so they are making the right move in order to cut production costs on their end.

314.12.2008 0:24

Why is Billy so bitter in his old age? its really depressing for someone who is (or was) a fan of their music.

414.12.2008 3:34

I thought the whole point of a single was to get people to blow $20 on the album full of singles and filler tracks.

Anyways, wtf does this guy expect after a 7 year hiatus. I didn't even know that they came out with a new album until after it had already been out for a few months. So blame it on bad advertising plus being gone for 7 years.

514.12.2008 4:39

Of course the fans are to blame!

I mean it couldn't possibly be that two of the original members of the band that made the great music I grew up to left. That would just be crazy talk.

614.12.2008 4:59

i love this band, i grow up with their music, not good news that they stop recording

714.12.2008 5:58

Who cares? I mean really? after their break up hardly anybody realized tow of the members had gotten back together for another album, I just don't see to many people being disapointed over this and thats why nobody is even listening to the songs; and most likely billy thinks more people are just "skipping Tracks on their Ipod" than really ever even bothered to download it.

815.12.2008 12:46

Gish, Siamese Dream and Melancholy were brilliant IMO. After that, I lost interest. Their style changed, and I didn't feel like following. Then they were gone, and I didn't know they were back until months after their last album. I don't even know who left. Oh well. Don't blame the music landscape. Blame yourself Billy. I can name a few bands off the top of my head whose albums I listen to straight through - both modern and older. I can't get through Zeitgeist though. I like Chinese Democracy more than that one.

I don't see how he can put himself in the same category as Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young. I bought their latest albums. I didn't even know Corgan was making music again. Most of his fans are older, and a 7 year vacation can have a big impact on how well your fan base remembers you.

915.12.2008 12:47

dp

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2008 @ 7:50

1016.12.2008 3:17

I think this is a great business strategy. What I don't get is why I'm alone in thinking so. Everybody always complains that so many albums are a couple of singles, and the rest is just filler. Now we finally have a new model that is not only agreeing, but effectively reinventing the wheel (or 45rpm record), and no one is supporting it? Is this a great idea for every band? Of course not. There will always be musicians who have the ability to create worthwhile albums. There will also always be the next pop star, or band that has not the desire, or perhaps talent, to do so. Now each artist can market themselves accordingly, appealing to their target demographic.

Do I think The Smashing Pumpkins are in the same category As Springsteen or Neil Young? Hell no! Which is why this type of thing will work. For them, and countless others, too.

1117.12.2008 3:59

You can't understand our art!!!!I it's you who suck not us. LOL. Who cares.

1217.12.2008 8:18

Originally posted by ahiah9:

This new "business strategy" sucks. It's not a strategy....it's a cop-out. As if 7 year break isn't enough, now they are reduced to nothing but a digital blip in the festering e-swamp iTunes. Corgan is just throwing in the towel because nobody liked his last album?

He's got some ego to think that after 7 years, people should take him seriously. He uses the term "we should be taken seriously" when "we" of today is not the same "we" of 7 years ago, or the "we" that I listened to 17 years ago. He needs to prove himself to his former fans, like myself, who have moved on.

Honestly, the last image I have of Billy Corgan is with the Zero shirt. Isn't that sad? It's like he is frozen in time in my mind, never being able to capture my attention since.

Latest news

A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies (25 Jun 2016 15:21)
A group of security researchers have found a vulnerability in Google's Chrome browser that allows downloading movies straight from Netflix. This is obviously not a feature especially the entertainment ....
Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads (25 Jun 2016 14:05)
For a long time Netflix was adamant on its pricing. No changes were made for a long time and everything seemed to be good. The markets obviously reacted and more expensive deals and original ....
Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers (25 Jun 2016 12:01)
Spotify has told The Telegraph that it has surpassed the 100 million mark in subscribers. Paying subscribers was earlier this year reported to have passed 30 million. Apple meanwhile is having ....
Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera (18 Jun 2016 18:05)
The next iPhone will be a major upgrade to current iPhone 6s. This biyearly full upgrade cycle provides us with a bigger upgrade every two years. But how will Apple update its number one product, ....
OnePlus releases new flagship killer, smaller X discontinued OnePlus releases new "flagship killer", smaller X discontinued (18 Jun 2016 16:11)
The small Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus took the world by storm two years ago by releasing a super cheap flagship smartphone. They called it the flagship killer, and it indeed challenged ....