MP3 player light saves lost tourists

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 29 Dec 2008 21:17 User comments (12)

MP3 player light saves lost tourists According to rescue authorities, two men lost in the Swiss mountains were able to be rescued thanks to the light from their MP3 player.
The two men, both from France, "got lost late in the day Friday outside marked runs near the resort of Savognin in southeast Switzerland," added Gery Baumann of the rescue service.

One was able to alert authorities using a cellphone but the phone promptly died.

"The two winter sports enthusiasts were found by the crew of the Rega helicopter shortly after midnight -- thanks to the faint light of their MP3 player,"
Baumann noted.

Both men are being treated for mild hypothermia.

129.12.2008 23:53

Nice.

Admit it- I'll bet 7 out of 10 of you people have used your cellphone light to see your car/house keys...lol.

230.12.2008 0:07

Originally posted by H0bbes:
Nice.

Hell I've used my cell light to see all kind of things. I even had a cheap cell a few years ago that had a led flash light on it.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Dec 2008 @ 0:08

330.12.2008 0:53
kevin891

***spam removed by loco***

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Dec 2008 @ 8:26

430.12.2008 10:04

I had one of those- it was a Nokia Tracfone. Sturdiest phone I ever had.

530.12.2008 12:40

Originally posted by H0bbes:
Nice.

My current cell phone has a flashligh. It is an old Virgin Mobile phone that is the toughest thing around. The ruggedness and LED light are handy because I ride I motorcycle and I've used the light for roadside repairs.

630.12.2008 16:49

Originally posted by H0bbes:
Nice.

I use my phone all the time for a source of light.
The great thing about this is not all public places are lit well so your phone can be your headlights on high beams :) lol
use it responsibly.

730.12.2008 18:18

I have Sony Ericsson K550i, it has a dual led flashlight, wich also works as camera light, it's surprisingly bright, and I can make it go SOS.

831.12.2008 3:58

And who says cell phones are no good for anything but talking?! XD *actually knows some people that only have a cellphone and use it for emergencies only*

931.12.2008 20:43

I use my psp all the time as a flashlight when the powers off because literally the batteries in the flashlights and lanterns always seem to be dead when they're actually needed.

101.1.2009 4:06

Who knew that a mp3 player could save your life ?

Life is Grand !

111.1.2009 23:27

my mp3 player is a lifesaver, even in non-life-threatening events.

@defgod and pantherm: i bet they were a Kyocera K9 (Rave). i used to sell those. Gave one to my daughter as her first phone.

127.1.2009 23:44

This kind of emergency is the very reason why I always carry a US@ 0.40 Chinese made high intensity 3 led hand cranked (rather squeezed) rechargeable torch with me all the time.

Latest news

A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies (25 Jun 2016 15:21)
A group of security researchers have found a vulnerability in Google's Chrome browser that allows downloading movies straight from Netflix. This is obviously not a feature especially the entertainment ....
Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads (25 Jun 2016 14:05)
For a long time Netflix was adamant on its pricing. No changes were made for a long time and everything seemed to be good. The markets obviously reacted and more expensive deals and original ....
Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers (25 Jun 2016 12:01)
Spotify has told The Telegraph that it has surpassed the 100 million mark in subscribers. Paying subscribers was earlier this year reported to have passed 30 million. Apple meanwhile is having ....
Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera (18 Jun 2016 18:05)
The next iPhone will be a major upgrade to current iPhone 6s. This biyearly full upgrade cycle provides us with a bigger upgrade every two years. But how will Apple update its number one product, ....
OnePlus releases new flagship killer, smaller X discontinued OnePlus releases new "flagship killer", smaller X discontinued (18 Jun 2016 16:11)
The small Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus took the world by storm two years ago by releasing a super cheap flagship smartphone. They called it the flagship killer, and it indeed challenged ....