New Dish Network DVR incorporates Slingbox features

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 10 Jan 2009 23:34 User comments (4)

New Dish Network DVR incorporates Slingbox features Dish Networks is planned to release a digital video recorder that incorporates Slingbox technology. This will enable users to watch recorded content on a variety of Internet-capable consumer electronics devices. The new ViP 922 HD DVR was shown at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. It will be available to Dish subscribers this Spring for $199.
Adding the Slingbox technology to the DVR greatly increases the viewing options of the users, Chief Executive Charlie Ergen told a news conference on Thursday. People can watch recorded programs on their computers at home, their notebooks while traveling, iPhone, smartphones, BlackBerry and more.

SlingGuide features are also available, which enable users to search for, record and view content from a computer or a mobile phone.

112.1.2009 12:22

When we we see direct from the net TV subscriptions, because as I see it no one wants to reign in the TV monopolies.

And the only way any real competition and price changes will insue is with an all out alacart price war started by net based TV subscription start ups. Once they show the big boys money can be made from this change of tactics they to will change how they sell crap down to the masses.

213.1.2009 8:36

I love my TiVo but I need an upgrade to one of the newest HD models. The problem is 2 fold for me #1 the purchase price itself and #2 the additional transfer/upgrade fee I have to pay via Weaknees.com for being an early "day 1" lifetime subscriber.

Anyway the point is, once the digital change over passes in Feb. I will then give it just a few months afterwards before making my decision. Dish/DirecTV satellite has been digital for the longest and I am keeping an open mind about what Cable will have to offer & such plus the benefit of being able to use my own TiVo instead of a dumbed down model the Cable company will undoubtedly use. But this Slingbox HD DVR model from DirecTV sure does make it hard to pass up.

No subscription fees
Program & manage shows via the net from PC, Smart Phones etc.
Watch recorded & live shows via the net from PC, Smart Phones etc.
Just overall great features

The only downside is you are locked in with DirecTV. Either way though, with the Digital switch coming...things are looking really good!

313.1.2009 13:47

Originally posted by Oner:

No subscription fees
Program & manage shows via the net from PC, Smart Phones etc.
Watch recorded & live shows via the net from PC, Smart Phones etc.
Just overall great features

Can you explain to me the need for a subscription for a device that handles and records your fckign TV shows? I mean its like they magically found a revenue stream....

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations

413.1.2009 14:20

Yeah tell me about it. But that's how TiVo's business model was when they started and they where the ONLY company back in 1999 (I think?) who offered such a device. Hell, it's actually cheaper to buy an HD TiVo and pay for a lifetime sub then to rent a crappy model from your cable company over 3-4 years time usually! And you could record over the air and use it with certain satellite providers as well to boot along with other features similar to what Slingbox has.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Jan 2009 @ 14:23