AfterDawn: Tech news

PSP-4000 to have slider screen?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Feb 2009 21:57 User comments (12)

PSP-4000 to have slider screen? For over a year now rumors have surfaced every few weeks that a Sony PSP 2 is in the works, with the most recent rumor claiming the new hardware will be touchscreen and will have dual thumbsticks and the removal of UMD.
According to new "highly-trusted sources" contacting VG247, there will be no PSP 2 anytime soon, but instead a completely redesigned PSP, dubbed the PSP-4000.

Internally the system would be identical to the PSP-3000, but the hardware would be a "complete aesthetic overhaul", adding a large slider screen and the much hoped-for dual analog sticks.

There is no other details as of now, and Sony has denied comment on the reports.

The mockup from the source is as follows:

Previous Next  

12 user comments

123.2.2009 22:17

Wow the mockup accidentally added a second analog stick too.

223.2.2009 22:26

Quote:
Wow the mockup accidentally added a second analog stick too.
That is a bit odd, isn't it? The article says that the rumors states that the PSP will have the same internals, but with a different outer look. That extra thumbstick would definitely need additional internal hardware and old games wouldn't support it. The pic is probably made for the year-old rumors, not for news from VG247.

323.2.2009 22:38

Now hey a touch screen for this would be worth while.

IMO the PSP has enough power it just features, if they tweak teh hardware it would do nicely as a 1.5 system. I mean the WII is doing well after all.

423.2.2009 22:41

If there is no more UMD, they are just going to make a new SYSTEM then, what is the point of all the games that was on PSP? It can't be backward compatible, is kinda annoying. I hated it when the PS3 couldn't able to play PS and PS2 games. Is retarded.

523.2.2009 22:51

Originally posted by Hyasuma:
If there is no more UMD, they are just going to make a new SYSTEM then, what is the point of all the games that was on PSP? It can't be backward compatible, is kinda annoying. I hated it when the PS3 couldn't able to play PS and PS2 games. Is retarded.
BWC is a must for sure, I would not mind paying 100$ for hardware converter that will put the discs on the PSP through the PS3.

But lets face it they would rather resale you the game you own...

623.2.2009 22:51

even if it was true why bother, it would be a waist of R&D Time and Money for now any way.

a lot of devs are steering away from PSP and its no secret why.

if Sony was smart they would wait a few years, let devs get used to the Cell Processor and release a handheld gaming device utilizing it.

oh and if Sony strolls by here for some Ungodly reason. enough with the firmware update crap.

package the features up nicely and there wont be a need to utilize Flash Rom, your worst enemy but hackers lovable allies.

723.2.2009 22:57

Originally posted by DXR88:
even if it was true why bother, it would be a waist of R&D Time and Money for now any way.

a lot of devs are steering away from PSP and its no secret why.

if Sony was smart they would wait a few years, let devs get used to the Cell Processor and release a handheld gaming device utilizing it.

oh and if Sony strolls by here for some Ungodly reason. enough with the firmware update crap.

package the features up nicely and there wont be a need to utilize Flash Rom, your worst enemy but hackers lovable allies.
More like the reason its not highly deved for its cheaper and easier to dev for the DS...

824.2.2009 8:02

It'd be pretty sick if that was the actual PSP2 design and that screen was a touch... I can't see it being for PSP 'cause I think it's kinda late for a second analog stick and where would the umd drive go?

924.2.2009 9:45

I like the design but it kind of look like a miniature real projection TV. Lol. I'd buy one though. I can't wait to see if they really put 2 analogs on the next unit.

1024.2.2009 12:58

Man... this thing is iPhone sexy. I need this now please.

1124.2.2009 14:42

The screen is going to be very prone to getting scratched...unlike the DS.

Adding the L2 and R2 buttons would be nice as well.

Very appealing looking system, but not worth the money to "upgrade".

Sony has gotta give a lot more than a revamped system to get my portable gaming money.

1224.2.2009 21:14

Giz debunked this one a couple days ago. Apparently these photos are from a concept dated before the original PSP

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive