Wiis can now play VC games off SD cards, Wii sales hit milestone

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 25 Mar 2009 17:11 User comments (17)

Wiis can now play VC games off SD cards, Wii sales hit milestone Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has announced during his GDC keynote address that a new Wii firmware update will allow gamers to run Virtual Console games straight from their SD cards, sidestepping the need for the company to release an external hard drive.
The new Wii System Menu 4.0 will allow gamers to save and load games directly from SD cards, which at 32GB can hold up to 240 games.

During the same speech, Iwata noted that the Wii had finally passes the 50 million units sold mark, making it the fastest console to hit the milestone.

Additionally, Iwata added that the DSi has sold over 2 million units since its release last year in Japan.

125.3.2009 17:28

The new Wii System Menu 4.0 will allow gamers to save and load games directly from SD cards.
FINALLY.

225.3.2009 18:50
kubapolak

I do agree, it's about time.

325.3.2009 19:14

Is this limited to VC games? Does the new update make the inserted SD card part of the total system memory somehow? Also I thought the maximum the system could take in the SD slot was 2GB. I hope that with an inserted SD card it can play VC games and access games saves too. I am also looking forward to more info on that USB Hard Drive.

425.3.2009 19:36

i dont know how VC games work, but does that mean you can just buy a bunch of classic games on a SD card and use it for any wii? or does it have drm and restrictions to only work with the wii you purchased it with?

525.3.2009 19:41

Originally posted by dragnandy:
I am thinking the DRM restrictions will still be in play here.

626.3.2009 4:38

Woooo Finally

726.3.2009 9:35

Like bobiroc said, I don't think the Wii can read SDHC cards. Is this a software issue or a hardware issue? Is this something that a firmware update can fix?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Mar 2009 @ 9:39

826.3.2009 11:00

Originally posted by TSRSteve:
According to the IGN article I was reading the other day (recollecting; I may be wrong), it seemed like SDHC support was (somehow) part of the inclusion. They also said that games still had to be loaded into internal memory when you actually want to play them, and games saves are a separate deal (meaning either you leave the games saves on the system, or you have to transfer them back and forth separately).

The update's already available to update to. I updated the machine yesterday, and have an old 4GB SDHC card that (iirc) didn't work using the older software, but aside looking at the new menu, I haven't tried out the new feature yet to see how much of that was true.

926.3.2009 20:45

SD 32GB is SDHC people...........

1026.3.2009 22:19

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
SD 32GB is SDHC people...........
lol. That may be, but the article doesn't explicitly say that a 32GB sd card can actually be used. It just uses it as an example of how much one can put on a card of that size. A lingering doubt remains.

1126.3.2009 22:22

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
SD 32GB is SDHC people...........
It says 32BG cards can be used and the only 32GB SD cards are SD HC.

1226.3.2009 22:28

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
SD 32GB is SDHC people...........
It says 32BG cards can be used and the only 32GB SD cards are SD HC.
Dont try to explain, just say "whatever you say" and move on.

1326.3.2009 22:42

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
SD 32GB is SDHC people...........
It says 32BG cards can be used and the only 32GB SD cards are SD HC.
Dont try to explain, just say "whatever you say" and move on.

I cna;t help myself ><

1427.3.2009 0:29

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:

It says 32BG cards can be used and the only 32GB SD cards are SD HC.
True, in fact anything from 4+GB up to 32GB is SDHC.
Originally posted by limelight:

Dont try to explain, just say "whatever you say" and move on.
That works too except....

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:

I cna;t help myself ><
I have to agree with ZippyDSM :P

In regards to the article, it's cool to see them finally supporting SDHC and the ability to run games from SD(HC) cards. This feature is a very welcome addition the Wii.

Peace

1527.3.2009 10:18

Hmm.. did they increase the time in transferring vc games... cause what i remember it took me 3 years to copy mario kart 64 on my sd card

1627.3.2009 10:20

Originally posted by navi1199:
Some SD cards are slloowwwww, some are not.

176.4.2009 2:32

This is something that makes me want to buy another wii... or just a bunch of sd cards and snag all my friends and families games.

: )