Time Warner receiving more protests over tiered bandwidth caps

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 16 Apr 2009 2:33 User comments (13)

Time Warner receiving more protests over tiered bandwidth caps Last week we reported that Time Warner Cable was planning to test "tiered" Internet access, each with bandwidth caps.
The plan received significant backlash from Rep. Eric Massa of New York, who promised to draft a bill completely eliminate "unfair" tiered pricing structures from ISPs. Massa added at the time: "I am taking a leadership position on this issue because of all the phone calls, e-mails and faxes I've received from my district and all over the country. Time Warner has announced an ill-conceived plan to charge residential and business broadband fees based on the amount of data they download. They have yet to explain how increased Internet usage increases their costs."

That criticism continues to come from all areas now however, notably in the areas where the tests are set to start soon, Rochester, N.Y.; Greensboro, S.C.; and San Antonio and Austin, Texas.

In Rochester, the city's largest newspaper has publicly called on Time Warner to explain its actions, and company executives recently met harsh criticism at any open public forum. The new website, StopTheCap.com is currently running as a way for users to protest the caps.

Alexander Dudley, spokesman for Time Warner Cable, added:
"Consumption of bandwidth is exploding, and that's good, but it requires a substantial investment in infrastructure. There's a vocal minority of heavy bandwidth users for whom this plan is unappealing, but we're not hearing from the overwhelming majority of our customers who will be unaffected by this."

More news

Related news

116.4.2009 10:04

Yea, but wait until the caps actually start and customers receive their first bill. "we went over our cap last month how much?!?!"

216.4.2009 10:05
LissenUp

Call me pessimistic, but somehow I think this statement is F.O.S. and so is the exec. "Not hearing from" my ass. I just don't think people are going straight to their political rep before registering a complaint with their provider.

316.4.2009 11:53

Glad to see an uprising... now do the same with the nickel and dime landline and cellphone charges!

416.4.2009 14:58

According to Stopthecap! TWC has shelved their metered billing plans in all test markets!

516.4.2009 15:13
david89

i think they are lieing because they want make $1000 amonth or more internet service pay for what you use very bad idea only people won't affect is people don't know how use the pc and if want just check emails they should just bought the slow speed and not fastest speed or they could just use dial up. they just want find away charge 3 times amount per month for nonething.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Apr 2009 @ 15:15

616.4.2009 15:40

Originally posted by david89:
You might want to proof read your comment before posting. I have to read this five times before I could understand it. And I thought my English was bad.

716.4.2009 16:27

Originally posted by david89:
Are you 13 years old?

816.4.2009 17:17

Originally posted by Run4two:
Thank god, I was planning on calling my representatives soon but now it looks like I don't have to :D

916.4.2009 18:39

Here is an article at PC mag

Originally posted by Time Warner Company:
"It is clear from the public response over the last two weeks that there is a great deal of misunderstanding about our plans to roll out additional tests on consumption based billing," Time Warner CEO Glen Britt said in a statement. "As a result, we will not proceed with implementation of additional tests until further consultation with our customers and other interested parties, ensuring that community needs are being met."

From this article

1016.4.2009 21:40

Well if my ISP started to introduce bandwidth capping my reaction would be very simple I would ditch them and go with the competition, and if 35% of there customers did just that they could end up the same way as GM

1121.7.2012 18:52

You sound like a spammer.

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.

1221.7.2012 21:30

Originally posted by JST1946:
You sound like a spammer.

I hate to disrespect a Veteran, but pot meet kettle. You bumped a 3+ year old thread for this.

OS: Kubuntu 12.10/Windows 8 -- CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K -- Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 -- Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator -- Graphics Card: Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X -- Monitor: Dell 2208WFP -- Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000 -- PSU: Corsair 520HX -- Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX -- Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C -- Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD/1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black/1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green/2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

1321.7.2012 22:04

Well someone posted before I did I guess they removed it aleady.

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.