'Lord of the Rings' Blu-ray trilogy goes up for pre-order

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 17 Apr 2009 13:25 User comments (17)

'Lord of the Rings' Blu-ray trilogy goes up for pre-order Warner Home Video has given Blu-ray fans a new reason to be excited this week, showing off early specs and box art for the hotly anticipated The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Many retailers, including Amazon, now have the box set available for pre-order, with an average price of $69.99 USD.
The set will have seven discs and will include the theatrical versions of each film. Although there is still no exact release date known, fans of the series will be able to purchase the box set before the end of 2009.

We will keep you updated on any developments for the upcoming 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy.'

Box art to the right ->
LOTR Blu-ray at Amazon

117.4.2009 14:14

Thats not to bad a price......

217.4.2009 14:22

What about the extended? A friend of mine torrented the extended editions in 1080p...

317.4.2009 14:28

Sure, I'll buy this one and then they'll release a new one and want me to buy that one! Who do they think they are? Greedy corporations trying to steal my mone...oh who am i kidding, I'll buy this and every other one they release. I...am...so...pathetic.

417.4.2009 14:30

wait....its not the exstened?

517.4.2009 14:41

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
wait....its not the exstened?
Yeah, this is only theatrical...New Line has been receiving complaints since their announcement, but they know quite well that people will buy this version and then buy the extended cuts in 2010. Its a ripoff sure, but people will buy it again.

617.4.2009 14:45

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
wait....its not the exstened?
UUmmmmm...... its blu ray...space is not a issue...relase a all in one compilation of film and directors cut....other wise its 110% FAIL......... I'd also like the non young anikin in StarwarsSE return of the Jedi ...bbllaahhhh....

717.4.2009 14:45

The extended versions wont be released until the Hobbit is released.

There will likely be little in the way of extras, as both the extended versions and the special edition material are being held by director Peter Jackson for use in a future "ultimate edition" BD box set, planned for release when the two Hobbit films arrive in theatres and on DVD and Blu-ray starting in 2012.

817.4.2009 14:54

The extended versions wont be released until the Hobbit is released.

FAIL!!!!

this is overpriced should be around 30$ and the complete collectors edition with all the shit in it could be 60$.....

917.4.2009 15:00
pphoenix

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
wait....its not the exstened?
you expect them not to double, triple, quadruple dip and scam as much from everyone as possible?

typical MPAA tactic that is destroying the movie business.

1017.4.2009 16:52

I have the HD version of ROTK that is like 35 gigs..but this blu-ray version will blow it out of the water. Usenet ftw!

Guess its time to get another 1TB drive.

1117.4.2009 18:10

Ermm as obsessed as I have been with LOTR since childhood , owning all books by Tolkien and the dvd sets of both theatrical and extended editions as well as the gift box sets of the trilogy - i will eat dog dirt before I pay such money for a blu ray release of the theatrical version of a series of movies from 2001-3 - forget it !
I'll wait until 2012 then when the ultimate edition finally sees the light of day ( if i'm still alive and blu ray is still a functioning format by then )

1217.4.2009 18:49

Finally. Ive been waiting a long time for this. Now i can get rid of my LOTR on DVD (theatrical). Already have both theatrical & etended version box sets. 7 BD's for $69.99, that's an awesome deal right there. I'm a hardcore LOTR fan and I still think the theatrical versions are good enough. Now I'll just have to wait for Star Wars Episode IV - VI to come out.

1317.4.2009 19:08

Finally, I too have been waiting. Waiting for a very good reason to get a Usenet account. It's here!

1417.4.2009 23:30

This is nice and all...but I WANT SAVING PRIVATE RYAN on blu-ray.

1518.4.2009 16:19

F$*K you! I wanted it on HD-DVD!!!! well i guess thats too bad! i will have to stick to my up scaled DVD's for now! Maybe i will have a BR Player when the extended edition comes out!$69 may be MSRP but it will be less than $^) soon enough! i figure $20 per movie is average cost! i do see them for $15 up to $26 for 1 BR movie so it is average price! I now when LOTR 1st came out it was $20 on regular SD-DVD

1619.4.2009 13:12

Lol 202 1-star reviews on something that hasn't even been released (and it increases each time you refresh the page)...

1724.4.2009 11:04

@ LordV Currently there is no Lord of the Rings Extended Edition in 1080p available for download on the internet. It may say it's that, but the extended parts are just up-converted and inserted in.