In-Stat predicts 802.11n will dominate HD market

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 29 Apr 2009 22:36 User comments (19)

In-Stat predicts 802.11n will dominate HD market According to an upcoming report from In-Stat, the next generation of Wi-Fi standard, 802.11n, will dominate the HD market. Wireless Home Digital Interface (WHDI), WirelessHD, and Ultrawideband (UWB) are contenders for wireless High-definition delivery systems within the home. However, In-Stat comments that "the ubiquity of Wi-Fi technology is proving unstoppable."
"802.11n is the next generation of the immensely popular Wi-Fi family. It promises data rates above 100Mbps and is backwards compatible," reckons In-Stat analyst Brian O’Rourke. "The installed base of Wi-Fi is immense, and effectively includes all mobile PCs, many mobile phones and a wide variety of CE devices. The primary drawback to 802.11n is expense, since it requires codec technology on both ends to transmit HD video. Neither of its primary competitors, WHDI and WirelessHD, require codecs."

In-Stat predicts that nearly 24 million digital TVs will ship with some type of Wireless HD video technology by 2013, but counts out Ultrawideband (UWB) as a major player in the consumer electronics area. WHDI and WirelessHD have great potential and are being pushed by startups, but they are expensive and power-hungry for now. Therefore, In-Stat predicts fewer than eight million devices containing either will ship in the time frame.

129.4.2009 22:45

Floridian predicts Copper wire will dominate HD Market.

229.4.2009 23:30

Why is it 'draft' N ?

330.4.2009 1:56

Draft N is Faster Than N.

430.4.2009 6:09

Originally posted by CNDLG:
Why is it 'draft' N ?
Because it's been 'in draft' since Victorian times, and is still a few years away from ever being 'ratified' ie becoming a proper standard; (a few years away from ratification as far as i've read anyways).

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

530.4.2009 8:09

Originally posted by DXR88:
Draft N is Faster Than N.
It's so fast, you can feel the draft as it wooshes by.

630.4.2009 9:49

I already have a wireless 802.11n router from Linksys, but as has been stated, it is not standardized.

730.4.2009 12:45

Pre-N is what the standardization are based around.

but yeah its not standardized yet, it was going to be standardized in 07 then in 08 yet were still waiting.

wonder why, maybe we haven't put that nice video chip in there you know the one you cant view your own content while streaming across your own network to more than one device on your network.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Apr 2009 @ 12:45

830.4.2009 16:40

I've got a draft N network at my place, the router is great but the adaptors have TONS of issues.

930.4.2009 17:51

Originally posted by canuckerz:
your router wouldn't happen to be a linksys would it?

Linksys doesn't play nice with Belkin and Netgear.

1030.4.2009 20:48

WiFi for streaming HD video = no quality of service, no ischronous delivery, best effort CSMA/TDMA protocol, and way under 100 Mbs data rate. This has been attempted for the last 6 years, and even the very controlled demos at CES in Vegas failed when placed in the WiFi rich LVCC! The quoted source is not correct in either a technical or marketing sense. IEEE 802.11n will publish as a standard in 2009, but it cannot reliably stream more than a single channel of HD content, and even that must be in a relatively pristine RF environment. IEEE 802.15.3c, better known as WirelessHD or under other names, is based on the 60 GHz spectrum, supports native 5 Gbps + data rates, has full quality of service, operates peer to peer (no access point like 802.11) and thus, can stream a single uncompressed 1808p HD signal. IEEE 802.11n can stream 100 Mbps, but that's through an access point, using a best effort Ethernet like packet transport, and will NEVER dominate this market. The InStat folks are notoriously inaccurate in their "say what the investment industry wants to hear," paid for industry reports. Don't waste your hard earned money on an 802.11n video solution. None of them work, and all of them are significant compromises relative to a simple HDMI cable.

1130.4.2009 21:18

Draft N and Pre N are capable of 300Mb so id give it about 150~200Mb in an interfering environment.

even 802.11G can sustain 130Mb using the advance features such as Multi-in/Multi-Out.

then again nothing beats the Cat6e, so just install it inside your house.

121.5.2009 1:05

Originally posted by canuckerz:
your router wouldn't happen to be a linksys would it?

Linksys doesn't play nice with Belkin and Netgear.
All D-link.

131.5.2009 12:45

Originally posted by canuckerz:
The adapters have issues because the IEEE has not standardized 802.11n as stated multiple times above. I think the reason being that it is not standard is because of these adapter issues. You buy a Cisco (Linksys) 802.11n router, but you buy a Belkin 802.11n PCI card chances are that you are going to have more problems then you ever wanted. I personally will stick with 802.11g until this is ratified. What happens if 802.11N is never ratified, then we are pretty much screwed.

141.5.2009 17:21

I have a Linksys WRT300N and my iMac supports Wireless-N and it has no issues... The only problem my router gives me is with my PS3, I try to play online and it won't connect to the servers because I'm also downloading torrents on one of my computers. But that has nothing to do with Wireless-N I guess lol

154.5.2009 0:02

Originally posted by DXR88:

then again nothing beats the Cat6e, so just install it inside your house.
What about just using fiber optic cable inside your house?

164.5.2009 4:16

Originally posted by DXR88:

then again nothing beats the Cat6e, so just install it inside your house.
What about just using fiber optic cable inside your house?
Cat6e is cheap and abundant and its rated for Gigabit networking.

Fiber Optic would be expensive and useless as a LAN Medium for more than one reason. unless you have $5000.00 to spend for a Fiber Switch,Fiber Optic cards, a good set of SCSI HDD's to keep up with the
flow of data, not to mention the good $1000 dollars a month for all that bandwidth.

im sure it was sarcasm.

175.5.2009 15:40

I don't get how "draft N" is faster than "N"..?
Could you guys please explain this to me.. I have a macbook and I have N - which I heard was the fastest wireless available..?

185.5.2009 18:31

Originally posted by iKronic:
I don't get how "draft N" is faster than "N"..?
N is the fastest

there where two N's. there was the Draft N which is now Defunct

and Pre-N which is the based on current standards

Draft N was about 50Mb faster than current Pre N. Pre N is much more compatible than Draft N.

ether way N is the fastest Wireless to date.

1914.5.2009 23:13

Originally posted by iKronic:
I don't get how "draft N" is faster than "N"..?
N is the fastest

there where two N's. there was the Draft N which is now Defunct

and Pre-N which is the based on current standards

ether way N is the fastest Wireless to date.
Yes, and of course, as soon as it is fully ratified, there will only be one 802.11n.

DXR88, I wasn't being facetious when I spoke of in-home fiber-optic. I'm just planning for the future. These technologies may be impractical now, but just as anything else does, prices will fall. Fiber is to-the-curb in many communities already, so bringing it indoors is a logical next step. I realize it may be some time before this happens, or it may never happen. Perhaps something else will replace it. Until then, I've "wired" my house with a pull-string behind each wall-plate so I'll be ready.