AfterDawn: Tech news

Xbox 360 sales hit new milestone

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 28 May 2009 18:15 User comments (23)

Xbox 360 sales hit new milestone Microsoft today has announced that global Xbox 360 sales have now hit a new milestone, 30 million units.
Additionally, Xbox Live membership has hit 20 million active users.

"We’ve always been confident that Xbox 360 offers more entertainment value than any other console on the market, and these latest numbers show that consumers agree,"
added Don Mattrick, Microsoft senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business.

"We expect our growth to continue to accelerate. Our news at E3 next week will underscore our commitment to bringing blockbuster entertainment experiences to everyone and to growing the Xbox entertainment brand globally."

The company added that users have downloaded almost 500 million pieces of DLC (downloadable content) from XBL and membership has jumped exponentially since the release of the New Xbox Experience last November.

Previous Next  

23 user comments

128.5.2009 18:30
warriorp
Inactive

and thats thirty million red lights!!! a.k.a. the red rings of death!!!(rrod) lol. i gave up on the xbox360 a long time ago. after going through three of them then having to go through that damn x clamp crap time and time again i just said f*** it and went to the ps3. best system plus i dont have to pay to play online. i had to give up the back ups but it was worth it. ;P

228.5.2009 18:34

I think that number will always be stretched because who knows how many people have bought multiple consoles because of broken ones... Some of my friends have because M$ was BSing them about their warranties or something, like some problems weren't covered :/

328.5.2009 19:14

Originally posted by Morreale:
I think that number will always be stretched because who knows how many people have bought multiple consoles because of broken ones... Some of my friends have because M$ was BSing them about their warranties or something, like some problems weren't covered :/
sure M$ made more than a couple of blunders but thats the chance you take in winning console wars,30 million units isn't a stretched figure,i remember in one newsletter that the 360 was out selling the PS3 in japan for awhile,now that must say something to Sony,their fellow homeland citizens not buying their own countries pride and joy console.
I have all 3 next gen consoles and am happy with all 3,you just have to know what person to speak to and what buttons to press with M$,i'm on my 4th xbox 360 console and *touch wood* all has been good for the last 15 months,i had the standard 20 GB(about 3 months after release....model) console when i started having the 3 RROD in a goodwill gesture from the retailer they exchanged it without sending away for repair for a brand new elite 360 and i'm still covered by the extended 3 year RROD warrnty along side with the newly discovered E74 error something Sony would never offer you.
Also *touch wood* my PS3 has served me well,I have heard quite a few stories of the console playing up as well, more so just after warranty has expired leaving the PS3 owner what $200 out of pocket just for someone at Sony to look at it

428.5.2009 19:19

Quote:
sure M$ made more than a couple of blunders but thats the chance you take in winning console wars,30 million units isn't a stretched figure,i remember in one newsletter that the 360 was out selling the PS3 in japan for awhile,now that must say something to Sony,their fellow homeland citizens not buying their own countries pride and joy console.
I have all 3 next gen consoles and am happy with all 3,you just have to know what person to speak to and what buttons to press with M$,i'm on my 4th xbox 360 console and *touch wood* all has been good for the last 15 months,i had the standard 20 GB(about 3 months after release....model) console when i started having the 3 RROD in a goodwill gesture from the retailer they exchanged it without sending away for repair for a brand new elite 360 and i'm still covered by the extended 3 year RROD warrnty along side with the newly discovered E74 error something Sony would never offer you.
Also *touch wood* my PS3 has served me well,I have heard quite a few stories of the console playing up as well, more so just after warranty has expired leaving the PS3 owner what $200 out of pocket just for someone at Sony to look at it
I thought the PS3 was even outselling the Wii in Japan for like the past 2 months :S

A PS3 warrenty might not be as great as a 360 cause it's problems aren't so wide spread. Everything can fail, it's just the 360 fails way too much... Hence the extended warranty with extra coverage, and a billion dollar loss.

528.5.2009 21:06
llongtheD
Inactive

Its amazing how an article on the 360 brings out the sony fanboys. I think alot of these guys have never even played on a 360, but read about the rrod problem, and thats all they know to post. Not saying that there weren't problems by any stretch, but come on, post something useful about the article instead of using it as a chance to tell everyone your biased opinions about the PS3.

628.5.2009 21:17

i only own a 360(sold my wii) and its a POS im not a sony fanboy im just a person who prolly spent close to $1200 total in games and extra controllers and all that happy horseshlt just to watch my 360 shlt on me time and time again. well now its has a good place being a stand for my ps2. ps2 the only console on the market right now that can compare with the reliability of consoles from the past. my friend just bought a genesis and it still works lets see if anyone can even say that about a regular xbox cause i know no one that still has a working OG xbox that isnt modded lol

728.5.2009 21:19

Quote:
Quote:
sure M$ made more than a couple of blunders but thats the chance you take in winning console wars,30 million units isn't a stretched figure,i remember in one newsletter that the 360 was out selling the PS3 in japan for awhile,now that must say something to Sony,their fellow homeland citizens not buying their own countries pride and joy console.
I have all 3 next gen consoles and am happy with all 3,you just have to know what person to speak to and what buttons to press with M$,i'm on my 4th xbox 360 console and *touch wood* all has been good for the last 15 months,i had the standard 20 GB(about 3 months after release....model) console when i started having the 3 RROD in a goodwill gesture from the retailer they exchanged it without sending away for repair for a brand new elite 360 and i'm still covered by the extended 3 year RROD warrnty along side with the newly discovered E74 error something Sony would never offer you.
Also *touch wood* my PS3 has served me well,I have heard quite a few stories of the console playing up as well, more so just after warranty has expired leaving the PS3 owner what $200 out of pocket just for someone at Sony to look at it
I thought the PS3 was even outselling the Wii in Japan for like the past 2 months :S

A PS3 warrenty might not be as great as a 360 cause it's problems aren't so wide spread. Everything can fail, it's just the 360 fails way too much... Hence the extended warranty with extra coverage, and a billion dollar loss.
No Sony is losing the console wars big time(PS3) they are at the bottom of the list.
1...Wii
2...Xbox 360
3...PS2
4...PS3
that billion dollar loss is nothing to Bill Gates,he'll make that up in other areas even though he has shifted his concentrations over to console gaming and more charity work.
Also i think you will find out that M$ seem to have their issues resolved now and because they are more than halfway thru their cycle it was time for a price drop and in todays economic tough times people are reaping up on it...well where i am they are.they have a re-designed motherboard and cooling setup...from what i have been told the new Jasper board is M$ fix to all of their problems,i own 2 xbox 360's one is the falcon board which runs much cooler than release 360's but are still prone to the RROD and i also have the new Jasper mobo..runs a lot cooler than any of it's predacessors in fact it runs the same if not cooler than my PS3 after a hard gaming session....
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 May 2009 @ 21:32

828.5.2009 21:21

Originally posted by llongtheD:
Its amazing how an article on the 360 brings out the sony fanboys. I think alot of these guys have never even played on a 360, but read about the rrod problem, and thats all they know to post. Not saying that there weren't problems by any stretch, but come on, post something useful about the article instead of using it as a chance to tell everyone your biased opinions about the PS3.
And you are reffering to ?
if it was directed at me...you best re-read my post

928.5.2009 22:53

Originally posted by Hopium:
i only own a 360(sold my wii) and its a POS im not a sony fanboy im just a person who prolly spent close to $1200 total in games and extra controllers and all that happy horseshlt just to watch my 360 shlt on me time and time again. well now its has a good place being a stand for my ps2. ps2 the only console on the market right now that can compare with the reliability of consoles from the past. my friend just bought a genesis and it still works lets see if anyone can even say that about a regular xbox cause i know no one that still has a working OG xbox that isnt modded lol

I have a Ps2, won it in poker. Never spent a dime on it bc I downloaded games but I gotta say it had some huge quality issues. I literally know about a dozen people that had DRE issues. Coupled with the fact that Sony never did jack or even own up to it needs to be said.

1028.5.2009 22:58

RROD Cure, Break your consoles warranty the day you get it, and for the love of god put some heatsink compound on the GPU & CPU. thats it problem solved. No More RROD for 5 +years. im still on my launch console .

1128.5.2009 23:40
llongtheD
Inactive

@ heraldsun

Wasn't isolating anyones post in particular. I am wondering why you thought I was pointing at you? If you read from the start that is.

1229.5.2009 0:48

Originally posted by llongtheD:
@ heraldsun

Wasn't isolating anyones post in particular. I am wondering why you thought I was pointing at you? If you read from the start that is.
of course i read from the start :) thats why i asked if you was referring to me...but then i did notice a post after mine.

1329.5.2009 0:51

Originally posted by DXR88:
RROD Cure, Break your consoles warranty the day you get it, and for the love of god put some heatsink compound on the GPU & CPU. thats it problem solved. No More RROD for 5 +years. im still on my launch console .

not true...unfortunately
M$ did this on my last 2 consoles one lasted 2-3 months other one didn't even make a month
How do i know M$ did it,i looked :)

1429.5.2009 1:14

Listen, my bud has fixed well over 200 xbox rrod's in the last 2 years and has had 1 person come back to him becasue it ringed again. He uses an expensive thermal paste and works fine. He did my launce one a year ago and still playing like a champ.

1529.5.2009 3:46

Originally posted by Paladore:
Listen, my bud has fixed well over 200 xbox rrod's in the last 2 years and has had 1 person come back to him becasue it ringed again. He uses an expensive thermal paste and works fine. He did my launce one a year ago and still playing like a champ.

luck of the draw...
don't care how expensive it was.thats not the fix all,cure all solution
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 May 2009 @ 3:48

1629.5.2009 10:53

Originally posted by Hopium:
lets see if anyone can even say that about a regular xbox cause i know no one that still has a working OG xbox that isnt modded lol
i do.

175.6.2009 12:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Hopium:
lets see if anyone can even say that about a regular xbox cause i know no one that still has a working OG xbox that isnt modded lol
i do.
I know of several people with the original X-Box, and all re working great. No issues what so ever.

185.6.2009 15:58

All my friends have had their first 360s break... Two of my friends had the very first 360s, one of them ate discs and another burned rings in them. My friend has a GoW disc where only the online works cause his 360 burned a ring on the disc and i guess it burned off the campaign lmao

195.6.2009 16:35

I have not had any problems with my 360, I have had my call of duty 4 disc scratched up from my 360 but that was because I knocked it over. Whats the average life span of a 360 before RROD happens?


f0rty beLoww zer0 ^


205.6.2009 17:02
varnull
Inactive

I do wonder if they count all the "replacement under warranty with new because of impossible to fix" units in with new sales..

I wouldn't put that past M$ just like they assume every pc sold in a shop with fista continues to run a M$ operating system once it gets home.

215.6.2009 23:19

Originally posted by varnull:
I do wonder if they count all the "replacement under warranty with new because of impossible to fix" units in with new sales..

I wouldn't put that past M$ just like they assume every pc sold in a shop with fista continues to run a M$ operating system once it gets home.
Exactly.

*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****

225.6.2009 23:33
varnull
Inactive

Originally posted by Paladore:
Listen, my bud has fixed well over 200 xbox rrod's in the last 2 years and has had 1 person come back to him becasue it ringed again. He uses an expensive thermal paste and works fine. He did my launce one a year ago and still playing like a champ.
Isn't it amazing how every n00b knows somebody like this.. but has never done it themselves.. hearsay .. if he can fix over 200 with only one return he would be world famous and now working for M$ on returns or quality control.. no need for BS... professional electronics engineers have refused to take any more of these faulty by design devices because they aren't worth the trouble and time to get involved with.. they are "bounces" the thing you fix once that comes back and back until you can't fix it.. and then somebody demanding because "you fixed it before so if you can't fix it now you must have broken it" that you buy them a replacement.. shove that.. not worth the time and trouble for a pointless mission... If he says he has done 200 it's more like the same one 200 times.. that's why only one comes back.. it's the f---in same one .. PMSL!!

It's got stuff all to do with "expensive thermal paste" .. the units have serious manufacturing problems related to the solder beads unger the gpu and cpu .. also the soldering on the ram chips is iffy to say the least.. and last but not least in this catalog of errors and poor quality control .. there is a fault in the overheat sensing element in the cpu design .. once it starts it will sooner or later latch up forever. how can a device overheat instantly? .. faulty sensing element circuit.. that's how.

I know these things from experience.. one in 20 will work on for a long time after being fixed.. the rest it's a ticking bomb.. maybe a couple of months.. maybe a few days.. but they WILL fail again.

I know a guaranteed way to fix them .. return the bloody things to M$ as faulty.

2310.6.2009 14:11

Originally posted by fortyblow:
Whats the average life span of a 360 before RROD happens?
had a launch 360 that i gave to a friend when i got banned from live with it (modded the FW) and it still has yet to give him RROD and it never gave me RROD as well. might add in that i had it on 24/7 when i owned it, and is still on pretty much all the time now.

Come talk with us on efnet at #elitemods !!! or just click ME

ALSO, DO NOT SEND ME MESSAGES ON LIVE REGARDING MODDING CONSOLES, OR HOW I PLAYED A CERTAIN GAME EARLY. I WILL NOT RESPOND. I WILL INSTEAD DELETE YOUR MESSAGE, AND BLOCK ALL COMMUNICATION FROM YOU. JUST SEND ME A PM ON HERE.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive