AfterDawn: Tech news

More PSP Go pictures surface

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 01 Jun 2009 2:44 User comments (42)

More PSP Go pictures surface Yesterday we reported that the upcoming PSP Go had been leaked showing off a new piece of hardware with a slider screen, 16GB of flash memory, along with the addition of Bluetooth and the removal of the UMD drive.
Today more leaked pictures of the player have surfaced, two days before the hardware's expected launch date at the E3 event.

Pics thanks to Eurogamer:




You can view the video here:

Previous Next  

42 user comments

11.6.2009 2:49

ehh, not really my cup of tea. it doesnt really look that good. but i do like some of the new features on this thing.

21.6.2009 3:24

Meh they made the flawed and poor design worse...wow sony you are "better" than MS....

31.6.2009 3:30

i dont care much for the psp but i like this design alot more then the old one now lets see if they can push any games that would make me want to buy the PSP. i hope the buttons and controllers arent hard to use the look kinda close together.

41.6.2009 3:34

Originally posted by b18bek9:
i dont care much for the psp but i like this design alot more then the old one now lets see if they can push any games that would make me want to buy the PSP. i hope the buttons and controllers arent hard to use the look kinda close together.
if you got big hands forget it, until they come out with a holder...

51.6.2009 7:03

Beautiful looking machine, but the controls are in to awkward a position.

61.6.2009 7:21

Such a nice looking system. Can't wait to pick it up.

71.6.2009 9:24

So...what media are they going to sell the games on...now that the UMD Drive is gone ? I'm all for it going...but the question still remains ? Does this mean they will be selling them on memory sticks ?

81.6.2009 10:29

This is not a replacement to the PSP 3000, they will still sell both and the people who want the Go! will be able to buy whatever games via download directly via PSN.


91.6.2009 11:08

pretty design and its sleek and very clean looking the front part of the screen looks like its possibly a smudge magnet but now with bluetooth and having a sliding screen gives the visuals a attracting look. having some knowledge about the games that possibly may be coming out for it looks like PSP Go maybe a good for me

101.6.2009 12:50

Looks good but it just isn't for me. I'll stick with my Phat until it dies or they come out with a dual analog psp.

111.6.2009 13:33

Originally posted by pcrazy99:
Looks good but it just isn't for me. I'll stick with my Phat until it dies or they come out with a dual analog psp.
Yeah agree with this. Would make FPS's actually playable.

121.6.2009 17:23

Looks sleek. The only thing is I hope it doesn't handle like the detachable QWERTY keyboard on my LG Versa. It's very top heavy, so I end up not using it so much aside from being a sexy case. This PSP version looks like you'd be able to grasp it on the back half, so it might not be a problem.

http://www.augustinefou.com/2009/02/lg-v...s-lg-versa.html

131.6.2009 17:52

I would think that this design would be balanced... There's a big screen balanced by a battery and everything else...

I'll consider buying this if it's hackable later on.

141.6.2009 19:00

I'm not too sure why sony plans to sell the Go with the PSP-3000 at the same time. I guess the go will be cheaper? Or is the 3000 going to be cheaper? One of them has to be cheaper than the other. Sony sounds like they want to get away from their UMD's and physical media. Losing the ability to purchase used games makes me not want to buy the go, but there's one big thing sony's missing here.

The big complaint about the psp. There's actually two of them. The first is the complete lack of a 2nd analog stick. Here was a chance to fix that complaint and they didn't do it. The second complaint is the quality of the games. They're all just ports of old PS and PS2 games. I guess if you've never owned a PS1/2 then that's not going to matter to you, but to everyone else it's just crap. People want more of the same, but they don't want to be playing the same exact games they already played.

151.6.2009 19:23

It's not a PSP2 so it shouldn't have a 2nd analog stick, plus in order for that to work on a PSP you would need additional shoulder buttons for the extra inputs. What I do see happening is compatibility/support with a sixAxis/DS3 because of it having Bluetooth, though I have to admit I would find that a bit cumbersome.


161.6.2009 19:40
gmontalc
Inactive

For a moment i was a bit excited, and thought that i would see a new innovative piece of technological hardware, but it seems like the expectations were to high.

About the design, I do not see the slickness in it. for what I see in the picture is a very boldkie design.. some people may like it some don't, in fact the missing second joystick makes the portable still walking on one leg.

What about its technology itself, has... Wi-Fi 3G?, Touch screen?. With these features, then I would think it'll be an excellent buy. I hope tomorrow it will be announced at E3 2009 what the PSP GO! can do for me.

171.6.2009 21:10

No touch screen but supposedly you can tether it to/through your Cell phone to use 3G.


182.6.2009 5:53

Originally posted by Oner:
What I do see happening is compatibility/support with a sixAxis/DS3 because of it having Bluetooth, though I have to admit I would find that a bit cumbersome.
Interesting, but it wouldn't be so cumbersome assuming you use the AV output and play it on the TV although it would be stupidly elaborate for something that's suppose to be portable it would allow me to actually play metal gear PO without smashing my psp against the wall because of the lousy controls.

192.6.2009 19:52

Damn it. I am happy theres somehing new but...it needs to be a phone already; better controls, a camera. A psp with homebrew will still do.

204.6.2009 14:21

Im not going to lie the second i here it is possible to run custom firmware on that thing im dumping my old psp slim for this one. I dont even use umd anyway since it is much more battery efficient to dump your umds to a compressed iso and load form the ms. yeah sony doesnt like it but thats what they get for being jewish.

214.6.2009 14:26

Yeah I might get one as well...funny observation jpc (last part).

224.6.2009 16:01
gmontalc
Inactive

Originally posted by gmontalc:
...What about its technology itself, has... Wi-Fi 3G?, Touch screen?...
I saw the PSPgo presentation and what a let down, even the name "PSP-go" sounds cheap and redundance... well, isn't the original "PSP" portable and ready to "GO"?.

No Wi-Fi 3G.
No Touch screen.
No Camera.
No buy

236.6.2009 23:02

i dont own a psp, nor any other handheld. i think they're neat and all, but are they really necessary? why is everyone so concerned with extra technology inside it? why can't you JUST PLAY GAMES with it?

i dont have any arguments that explain why they're necessary or even why they're not necessary. i think i was just being a hater because i dont have one.

247.6.2009 1:09

Quote:
Originally posted by gmontalc:
...What about its technology itself, has... Wi-Fi 3G?, Touch screen?...
I saw the PSPgo presentation and what a let down, even the name "PSP-go" sounds cheap and redundance... well, isn't the original "PSP" portable and ready to "GO"?.

No Wi-Fi 3G.
No Touch screen.
No Camera.
No buy
Well with Bluetooth you can tether it to your phone so there's your 3G.

Touch screen? Why are they gonna introduce a touchscreen this late in the game? Plain stupid if they did, I don't know why so many people want it anyways.

There already is a camera add on for the PSP if you really want that...

257.6.2009 4:11
gmontalc
Inactive

Quote:
Well with Bluetooth you can tether it to your phone so there's your 3G.

Touch screen? Why are they gonna introduce a touchscreen this late in the game? Plain stupid if they did, I don't know why so many people want it anyways.

There already is a camera add on for the PSP if you really want that...


You don't get it don't you?, With the touch screen you can play your games interactive like the DSi, also many products in development are storming the market just because the touch screen. good example is the iPhone, now Sony Ericsson are coming this year with a series of cellphones with this kind of technology.

Right now my HTC Touch Diamond Cellphone has Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 3G, and Touch Screen, and already I have a PSP.... WHY should I buy the PSPgo?

Has more sensen if the PSPgo would have all three features build in in one without attachments, then would be for real PSP to ..."GO"
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jun 2009 @ 4:26

267.6.2009 12:08

Originally posted by gmontalc:
Quote:
Well with Bluetooth you can tether it to your phone so there's your 3G.

Touch screen? Why are they gonna introduce a touchscreen this late in the game? Plain stupid if they did, I don't know why so many people want it anyways.

There already is a camera add on for the PSP if you really want that...
You don't get it don't you?, With the touch screen you can play your games interactive like the DSi, also many products in development are storming the market just because the touch screen. good example is the iPhone, now Sony Ericsson are coming this year with a series of cellphones with this kind of technology.

Right now my HTC Touch Diamond Cellphone has Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 3G, and Touch Screen, and already I have a PSP.... WHY should I buy the PSPgo?

Has more sensen if the PSPgo would have all three features build in in one without attachments, then would be for real PSP to ..."GO"
You are just an example of who the PSP Go is not marketed to/for. Unlike myself or others. It's really not a big deal, so you don't buy it...not EVERYONE will.

277.6.2009 12:10

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by gmontalc:
Quote:
Well with Bluetooth you can tether it to your phone so there's your 3G.

Touch screen? Why are they gonna introduce a touchscreen this late in the game? Plain stupid if they did, I don't know why so many people want it anyways.

There already is a camera add on for the PSP if you really want that...
You don't get it don't you?, With the touch screen you can play your games interactive like the DSi, also many products in development are storming the market just because the touch screen. good example is the iPhone, now Sony Ericsson are coming this year with a series of cellphones with this kind of technology.

Right now my HTC Touch Diamond Cellphone has Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 3G, and Touch Screen, and already I have a PSP.... WHY should I buy the PSPgo?

Has more sensen if the PSPgo would have all three features build in in one without attachments, then would be for real PSP to ..."GO"
You are just an example of who the PSP Go is not marketed to/for. Unlike myself or others. It's really not a big deal, so you don't buy it...not EVERYONE will.
unlike the DSI it seems 0-o *shudders*

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

287.6.2009 14:37

Quote:
You don't get it don't you?, With the touch screen you can play your games interactive like the DSi
Then buy a DSi... :/

Quote:
Right now my HTC Touch Diamond Cellphone has Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 3G, and Touch Screen
Right now your HTC Touch Diamond cost over $600 or something off contract. A PSPhone which I'm sure would have the same or better features would probably cost around that too. You seriously think every kid who just wants to use it for games has that kind of money? Sure, they could make a non-phone version but I doubt that their market for both would be as even as the iPod touch and iPhone, they're gonna lose somewhere...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jun 2009 @ 14:38

297.6.2009 17:23
gmontalc
Inactive

Originally posted by Morreale:
Quote:

You don't get it don't you?, With the touch screen you can play your games interactive like the DSi

Then buy a DSi... :/

I have all gaming consoles!
Quote:
Right now your HTC Touch Diamond cost over $600 or something off contract.

It's not necessary to buy a phone off contract, just get it with contract and pay less than $200 (big deal, you got to pay monthly service anyways), the contract as such is a gimmick to make sure you'd stay within the Company.
Quote:
[i]A PSPhone which I'm sure would have the same or better features would probably cost around that too[/i].

Agree, why the SONY did not go for it?, that's what everyone was expecting too. ...According to Sony Entertainment did not want to interferer with Sony Ericsson profits market, that's the reason that the Sony Ericsson will come with various cell phones with Symbian touch screen technology. BTW, some of their phones will have the capability of pairing with the PSP and PS3 via Wi-Fi
Quote:
You seriously think every kid who just wants to use it for games has that kind of money?

And...You seriously think every kid who just wants to use it for games "will" have that kind of money or credit card for purchases download media content?.
Quote:
Sure, they could make a non-phone version but I doubt that their market for both would be as even as the iPod touch and iPhone, they're gonna lose somewhere...

Alike any business, you win or lose, so far Sony is battling its own war within self. but, if Apple comes up with a new iPhone capable to play the same games as the PSP, surely enough would be the end of PSP's.

It is a pity shame that people has a tremendous short memory, Not long ago...MiniDisc was the latest and the most promising technology, soon after came the UMD, so it was the end for the MiniDisc, why SONY didn't put the MiniDisc in the PSP instead of the other format?; Hell knows!, stupid marketing solution mistake, alike many more mistakes.

Sony said the PSPgo is not going to be a replacement for the PSP 3000, what's telling you, that it "is" a replacement for the PSP 1000, 2000 do not count the 3000 out. why?, because the prominent elimination of the UMD drive and other marketing strategies like preventing hacks and so on.

Will eventually Sony keep up updating the 1000, 2000, 3000 ??... maybe not; The games needs more main board power/memory, so these portables it looks like they will be "dead" soon. NO surprise here!

What's next if the PSPgo do not reach the profit market margin, and people complains about this, about that?. keep in mind not a lot of people like the idea of the slide thing, will collect to much dirt and eventually won't slide open/close correctly, will it brake??!
Will see, time will tell
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jun 2009 @ 17:35

307.6.2009 18:11

A regular kid can't afford a $200 smart phone with a 3-year contract, I know I can't. That's what I meant. This is what Sony would have to do if they had a PSPhone. I think if they were to do so they would be eliminating most of their kids and teens market, which is a large chunk. Another problem, and this happens with every new great up-and-coming phone, I just bought a LG Voyager (which is a great phone). They come out with a PSPhone I'll have to wait 2 years, or buy it contract free but to me buying a phone without being able to call others with defeats the purpose.

A kid can afford downloadable media because it's just like going to the store to buy a game, minus going to the store. Obviously if they don't have a credit card or debit card then they can ask their parents to buy it for them and pay them back in cash, mow the lawn a couple times or something, it's what I used to do.


*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****

317.6.2009 18:43
gmontalc
Inactive

Originally posted by Morreale:
A regular kid can't afford a $200 smart phone with a 3-year contract
And... a regular kid can't afford a PSPgo for $249.plus tax either.,
Quote:
I know I can't. That's what I meant. This is what Sony would have to do if they had a PSPhone. I think if they were to do so they would be eliminating most of their kids and teens market
Not true, we have seen in the number sells the most purchases are made by credit cards. So, the kids aren't really the one who's buying it.

Quote:
... Another problem, and this happens with every new great up-and-coming phone, I just bought a LG Voyager (which is a great phone). They come out with a PSPhone I'll have to wait 2 years, or buy it contract free but to me buying a phone without being able to call others with defeats the purpose.
Not really, whatever product you want you can have it, you're not bound to a contract, if you end the contract early then you pay the penalty that's all, don't want to pay, then wait to finish the contract. more advanced technology on the way. If PSP phone would've come out, then you'd have known for sure that you won't need another regular cell phone ever, cause you'll have all features you want in one gadget.

Quote:
A kid can afford downloadable media because it's just like going to the store to buy a game, minus going to the store.
You can do that right now with the PSP 1000
Obviously if they don't have a credit card or debit card then they can ask their parents to buy it for them and pay them back in cash, mow the lawn a couple times or something, it's what I used to do.
That's bogus reflection, you may afford it, because your parents have the money, what about the millions of kids that do have parents that can't afford it?

327.6.2009 19:10

If a kid can't afford a PSP Go then why add $45 a month to it?

Kids might not be buying it themselves but I'm sure they're wanting it so their parents buy it for them... I'm not going to bother arguing this one. I think the biggest market for games is teens whether they pay for it themselves or their parents buy it for them (spoiled losers...). I mean almost everyone at my highschool has some console of the latest gen. Not too many have handheld consoles but a few of my friends have PSPs too and I'm sure they wouldn't if they had to pay $45 a month for it, some of them don't even have cellphones period.

If you have a PSP-1000 or any PSP already then you don't need a PSP Go. PSP Go is mainly for people who don't have a PSP, now they have the option of a smaller console with built in memory where games can only be downloaded or a bigger cheaper console with no built in memory but games can be bought from every store that sells games. You can also download games onto it but other PSPs can only take up to 8GB cards I think, right? And those are $60 each or somethin'...

You're not bound to a contract if you are happy to pay up to a $400 cancellation fee just so you can have a new phone...

I'm sure that if millions of kids who have parents that can't afford games won't have a console in the first place...


*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****

337.6.2009 20:11
gmontalc
Inactive

Originally posted by Morreale:
If a kid can't afford a PSP Go then why add $45 a month to it?

Kids might not be buying it themselves but I'm sure they're wanting it so their parents buy it for them... I'm not going to bother arguing this one. I think the biggest market for games is teens whether they pay for it themselves or their parents buy it for them (spoiled losers...). I mean almost everyone at my highschool has some console of the latest gen. Not too many have handheld consoles but a few of my friends have PSPs too and I'm sure they wouldn't if they had to pay $45 a month for it, some of them don't even have cellphones period.

If you have a PSP-1000 or any PSP already then you don't need a PSP Go. PSP Go is mainly for people who don't have a PSP, now they have the option of a smaller console with built in memory where games can only be downloaded or a bigger cheaper console with no built in memory but games can be bought from every store that sells games. You can also download games onto it but other PSPs can only take up to 8GB cards I think, right? And those are $60 each or somethin'...

You're not bound to a contract if you are happy to pay up to a $400 cancellation fee just so you can have a new phone...

I'm sure that if millions of kids who have parents that can't afford games won't have a console in the first place...

And ???,...

My point was based on the technology itself, read my post carefully, you shifted the argument based on dollar amount. Totally different things. For me money is not an issue, what it is important to me is the technology, what can this product do for me, what I can do with this product beside playing a game, music, video, also I want to check upon my emails, browsing the Internet, take pictures and send it to my friends and relatives (Wi-Fi), and have applications like Windows Mobile?, Nice, if can do that and more stuff so better. We must go into the future, not go back to the past !

347.6.2009 20:20

I understand what you mean. You want the best of the best regardless. Me too, which is why I bought a PS3 over a 360 and eventually a PSP after being bored with my DS. I believe they have more potential technically then their competition, but because they are more expensive then the competition, they seem to be lagging behind. I bought a DS fist because it was $100 cheaper, even though I thought the PSP was better. I'm sure this sits in the minds of console designers. Everyone wants the best of the best, but how many people can afford it? Sadly it's all about making a buck in the end.


*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****

357.6.2009 20:34
gmontalc
Inactive

Originally posted by Morreale:
I understand what you mean.... Sadly it's all about making a buck in the end.
Agree !, but the most sadly one is that greedy Sony is not winning the battle of consumption.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jun 2009 @ 20:38

368.6.2009 10:34

Quote:
My point was based on the technology itself,... what is important to me is the technology, what can this product do for me, what I can do with this product beside playing a game, music, video, also I want to check upon my emails, browsing the Internet, take pictures and send it to my friends and relatives (Wi-Fi), and have applications like Windows Mobile?, Nice, if can do that and more stuff so better.
my question is why do you need all of this technology inside of a handheld gaming console? having it is neat but is it necessary?

378.6.2009 20:18
gmontalc
Inactive

Quote:
my question is why do you need all of this technology inside of a handheld gaming console? having it is neat but is it necessary?
no brainer, don't you think would be much better to have all features in one gadget than having lots of gadgets with just one feature?...

388.6.2009 20:22

Quote:
Quote:
My point was based on the technology itself,... what is important to me is the technology, what can this product do for me, what I can do with this product beside playing a game, music, video, also I want to check upon my emails, browsing the Internet, take pictures and send it to my friends and relatives (Wi-Fi), and have applications like Windows Mobile?, Nice, if can do that and more stuff so better.
my question is why do you need all of this technology inside of a handheld gaming console? having it is neat but is it necessary?
They should make 2-3 models a handheld with super features a lite version for 100 less and a "console" version that's bundled with an add on base that can be plugged into a TV or 2 and use control pads.

398.6.2009 23:49

Quote:
no brainer, don't you think would be much better to have all features in one gadget than having lots of gadgets with just one feature?...

i can understand the need for some of this stuff some of the time but always trying to make everything into a "mini-computer" or an "entertainment everything" isnt always necessary. packing enough crap into something to control nasa satellites just isnt necessary. cool as hell to do, but why? dont get me wrong, that isnt to say that i wouldnt be trying to do the same stuff just to see how the technology works, i think it's just a matter of excess. excessive crap, crammed into something that should just be for fun and games. excessive wants from people who want a videogame machine that can control johnny 5, and grandma's power-chair into a synchronized waltz is just a bit much for me.

i guess it's a part of whomever's lifestyle. my work/home life doesnt allow me the time to waste with a handheld. i've played a couple of gameboys since they've been around, a DS once or twice, and psp also. i guess it's just a matter of it not being necessary in my life. it is neat though.

408.6.2009 23:57

Quote:
Quote:
no brainer, don't you think would be much better to have all features in one gadget than having lots of gadgets with just one feature?...

i can understand the need for some of this stuff some of the time but always trying to make everything into a "mini-computer" or an "entertainment everything" isnt always necessary. packing enough crap into something to control nasa satellites just isnt necessary. cool as hell to do, but why? dont get me wrong, that isnt to say that i wouldnt be trying to do the same stuff just to see how the technology works, i think it's just a matter of excess. excessive crap, crammed into something that should just be for fun and games. excessive wants from people who want a videogame machine that can control johnny 5, and grandma's power-chair into a synchronized waltz is just a bit much for me.

i guess it's a part of whomever's lifestyle. my work/home life doesnt allow me the time to waste with a handheld. i've played a couple of gameboys since they've been around, a DS once or twice, and psp also. i guess it's just a matter of it not being necessary in my life. it is neat though.
Ya when all the extra features are crappier than standalone devices you have to wonder whats the point, it is nice to have them on hand if you don't have better but I'd rather want 100$ the price with a basic game player/media.

419.6.2009 2:49

Quote:
Ya when all the extra features are crappier than standalone devices you have to wonder whats the point, it is nice to have them on hand if you don't have better but I'd rather want 100$ the price with a basic game player/media.
i think that's the point i was trying to make.

429.6.2009 11:57

Quote:
Quote:
Ya when all the extra features are crappier than standalone devices you have to wonder whats the point, it is nice to have them on hand if you don't have better but I'd rather want 100$ the price with a basic game player/media.
i think that's the point i was trying to make.
Ya its nice they can toss it all in but whats the point if you want use it, they really need to think about releasing a lite model then again that's what the previous versions are for I guess.

I bet the next portable units wont have a lite version though...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive