Apple cuts iPod prices

Written by Matti Vähäkainu (Google+) @ 09 Sep 2009 10:31 User comments (9)

Apple cuts iPod prices Apple has reduced the prices of current generation iPods by as much as 30 percent. According to Engadget, Apple's official online store which is currently offline showed the price drop earlier today. The price cuts will almost certainly be announced at today's "rock and roll" event, held in San Francisco.
The price of the 2nd generation iPod touch 32GB was cut by a whopping 30 percent from $399 to $279 but other touch versions got hefty price cuts as well. 16GB touch dropped from $299 to $249 and 8GB touch from $229 to $189.

In addition the prices of 4th generation 8GB and 16GB nanos were slashed to $129 and $149 respectively. This makes the additional 8GB cost only 20 bucks more compared to previous $50 difference. The classic also received a $20 price cut to $229.

The rumors have it that the price cuts are making room for a new generation of iPods -- at least 5th generation nano and 3rd generation touch -- possibly announced later today.

More news

Related news

19.9.2009 12:03

Aww that's a decent price for the 32GB Touch but now I don't have the money, and I need a new mp3 too :(

29.9.2009 13:21

Am I missing something here? Microsoft and Creative have revealed that they are releasing (probably better) players at a price that massively undercuts Apple. So Apple decide to roll out price cuts to a price that still means they are obscenely priced compared to the competition.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Sep 2009 @ 13:24

I could put something funny here but I cant be arsed. Now GO AWAY!

39.9.2009 14:24

Originally posted by keith1993:
Not only that, but who the hell really needs a standalone mp3 player anymore anyway? Just get a nicer cellphone.

49.9.2009 14:55

30% still makes it 30% more than everyone else.

59.9.2009 16:04

Originally posted by keith1993:
That would be nice, but most cell phones that are as good as a standalone MP3 aswell usually have crazy $$ plans or cost as much as a regular phone and an MP3. I have a Voyager, which is decent, but currently only has a 4GB card (expandable to 8 which still isn't much) and my 5.5g iPod Video still sounds better.

69.9.2009 16:07

Originally posted by keith1993:

Microsoft??? Creative??? It's called demand. There's always been cheap MP3 players, yet people still generally prefer the iPod, as much as that might irritate the rabid anti-Apple ignoramuses. Competition HAS to try selling at a bit less to attract customers.

79.9.2009 22:47

the quilty of the ipods, for sound is beyond crap. sony top the sound quailty every year yet they get overlooked soo much, and HOW do apple get awya charging INSANE prices and then giving away the WORST pair of heaphones!

810.9.2009 23:40

Apple has name recognition and Zunes suck... They are not nearly as high quality as something like the Ipod Touch... Anyways Itunes and the Apple store has nothing in comparison with it.... People may hate on Apple for high prices, but as far as quality they destroy any microsoft / sony knock-off

911.9.2009 13:01

Why are 8GB iPod Nano's still £106 here in the UK?

I want to buy a music player which holds enough music for me, I don't care if it's new or not... The 5th generation stuff is just rip-offs.

Especially since my sister paid the same price a few years ago for a 1GB iPod Nano compared to the 8GB iPod Nano's...

Anyway, is this price cut in the UK? I'm pretty desperate for a new music player.