Microsoft issues five critical patches

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 08 Sep 2009 23:49 User comments (5)

Microsoft issues five critical patches Microsoft's monthly Patch Tuesday included five updates this time that address some critical bugs in the newer versions of the operating system. Microsoft did point out, however, that none of the issues apply to the final version of the soon-to-be-released Windows 7 operating system. However, for those running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008, get your updates.
Two of the flaws involve serious vulnerabilities in networking components of Windows Vista, Server 2003 and 2008 which could let malicious software spread from computer to computer. In total, the five bulletins address eight different vulnerabilities. Those that are most likely to be exploited widely exploit the way in which Windows handles ASF and MP3 multimedia files.

"We've seen similar exploits in the past and all a user would have to do is visit a compromised Web site hosting one of these malicious files, which could be an MP3, WMA or WMV file, and they could become infected," said Symantec Security Response research manager Ben Greenbaum.

Additionally, Microsoft said that it is investigating another flaw that has come to light in the past few days which allows an attacked to force Windows Vista, and possibly Windows 7, into a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error.

19.9.2009 0:42

Do these vulnerabilities effect VLC and MPC?

29.9.2009 13:10

Do those of us running 7 RC get a fix or do we simply diiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Sep 2009 @ 13:11

I could put something funny here but I cant be arsed. Now GO AWAY!

39.9.2009 13:49
modthebox

i feel that microsoft should give everyone a free hdd with with 7 all theese updates are killing me it seems i cant turn my computer on without seeing that blasted notification bubble popping up.

49.9.2009 17:07

I don't use Windows Updates, never have, not on XP and i won't be on Win7 either. Each to their own though :)

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

511.9.2009 15:32

Vista & 2008 are network nighmares so no supprise there. Win7 is much better and probably doesn't have the same flaws being addressed, I haven't looked at the latest updates yet. I run XP and Vista but know I'm going to Win7 fully as it runs better then XP in most cases but is simular to Vista. I put Win7 Ultimate on a socket 462 system and it runs better then XP Pro with no changes to my configuration. Vista would choke if I even thought about installing it on that system.

I too do not use automatic updates but will batch them from time to time. Most of the time you don't need the updates anyhow.