AfterDawn: Tech news

One million slim PS3 units sold in three weeks

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 24 Sep 2009 14:28 User comments (24)

One million slim PS3 units sold in three weeks Sony has said today that sales of the recently released slim PS3 have hit 1 million in the three weeks since its launch.
The console went on sale in North America and Europe on September 1st and in Japan on the 3rd.

The new slimmer model costs 29,980 yen in Japan, $299 USD in North America and 299 euros in Europe.

"The console packs cutting-edge technologies, including the (pre-installed) 120 gigabyte hard-disk drive and Blu-ray capability, at a lower price,"
adds Sony Computer Entertainment spokeswoman Makiko Noda, via the AP.

"The new PS3 has been doing very well, and one of the reasons for this is the price,"
noted SCE president Kaz Hirai. "As a system in the living room, we have managed to realise this price without making any changes to what is good about it."

Previous Next  

24 user comments

124.9.2009 17:28

It's great to see Sony really succeeding here. It's taken them a long time. Hopefully the new model and price cut will make better third party software support, and better E3 shows... Let's face it, Sony has had really poor showings for the last few years, and their version of motion sensing felt way too gimmicky.

I have high hopes for Sony here. They've had a rough time this generation, compared to both their competitors, but they may be able to recover their position before this generation of consoles is replaced. I'm not the biggest fan of Sony's, but they've got the potential to turn things around and finish out this generation with a lot more finesse. These are positive steps they're making.

224.9.2009 18:40

Whoops!
I feel an "i told ya so" might be coming on soon.

324.9.2009 21:29

1 million in three weeks is very solid.....Keep it up & also they ramp up there marketing.Which i feel been very horrible since the system launched.

424.9.2009 21:49

how many xbox's were sold int he same time?

525.9.2009 2:23
chris4160
Inactive

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
how many xbox's were sold int he same time?
Approximately 500,000. But it should also be noted that the ps3 slim sales slowed dramatically last week. Of course there is going to be a lot of sales directly after the release of a new product, it doesn't mean that it is going to overtake the other consoles.

Also the writer of this article might want to check their numbers. According to my source there has only been 1 million total (not just slim) ps3 units sold since 1st of september.

Originally posted by jookycola:
Whoops!
I feel an "i told ya so" might be coming on soon.

Prior to the fanboy rush for ps3 slim consoles xbox 360 was still pulling away from the ps3, just wait for natal to be released... I bet there will be over 5 million natal's sold in the first month.

625.9.2009 3:39

Those are some pretty good sales. I think the move to release a cheaper slim console was the right one.

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
how many xbox's were sold int he same time?
Does it matter? I think as long as the PS3 sales are strong, it's a good thing for Sony, regardless of how well (or poorly) another console does.

Quote:
just wait for natal to be released... I bet there will be over 5 million natal's sold in the first month.
That's a very optimistic number, at best.

725.9.2009 4:00

Quote:
Originally posted by shaffaaf:
how many xbox's were sold int he same time?
Approximately 500,000. But it should also be noted that the ps3 slim sales slowed dramatically last week. Of course there is going to be a lot of sales directly after the release of a new product, it doesn't mean that it is going to overtake the other consoles.

Also the writer of this article might want to check their numbers. According to my source there has only been 1 million total (not just slim) ps3 units sold since 1st of september.

Originally posted by jookycola:
Whoops!
I feel an "i told ya so" might be coming on soon.

Prior to the fanboy rush for ps3 slim consoles xbox 360 was still pulling away from the ps3, just wait for natal to be released... I bet there will be over 5 million natal's sold in the first month.
And who exactly is your source?

5 million natals in first month? I seriously doubt that, given Microsofts habit to pretty dramatically overprice their add-ons, for example the wifi adapter and hard drives, I think that Project Natal will be priced over 100$, I just don't see it costing less than that. So when taking that into consideration, and also the fact that there are a big number of people out there who have their Xbox 360 to play games only, and who want to play with a pad, so I'd say that Natal sells 2M max during first month.

And don't forget that PS3 Wand is coming out too. And the way I see it, for gaming purposes some kind of controller is a good thing, and I just can't believe that Project Natal could be as accurate as wand when it comes to small movements.

825.9.2009 4:51
chris4160
Inactive

Originally posted by Jaussi:
And who exactly is your source?

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Originally posted by Jaussi:
5 million natals in first month? I seriously doubt that

So far there's about 31m xbox's out there, by the time natal is released there should be about 40m+ consoles. Five million is one sixth of the current xbox 360 owners, with the advertising campaign microsoft will roll out and the amount of xbox live activity there will be so much hype around natal people won't be able to resist. Personally I don't like the wii simply because I play video games to relax after work, but I will be buying natal as soon as it is released because I will want to try it out.

Originally posted by kyo28:
That's a very optimistic number, at best.
Why is that optimistic? How would you know that it is going to be any less than 5m? You don't (neither do I). I'm simply placing an informed prediction from what I've heard and read.

Originally posted by Jaussi:
And don't forget that PS3 Wand is coming out too. And the way I see it, for gaming purposes some kind of controller is a good thing, and I just can't believe that Project Natal could be as accurate as wand when it comes to small movements.
Wand is just a copy off the wii controller. Natal is aswell, but atleast microsoft got rid of the main idea, a controller. Natal is a really good idea, yes it is just the Eye Toy with depth sensing, but afterall:
Originally posted by by a ps3 fanboy in a prior news article argument:
companies do not "steal" ideas, they borrow them and improve on them
Originally posted by kyo28:
Does it matter? I think as long as the PS3 sales are strong, it's a good thing for Sony, regardless of how well (or poorly) another console does.
Yes it does matter. PS3 might have sold 25m units, but compared to the wii that's really bad. PS3 sales might be strong right now, but that does not mean that will continue.

Originally posted by Jaussi:
just can't believe that Project Natal could be as accurate as wand when it comes to small movements.
Have you ever played the wii? If the wand is anything like the wii remote it will be worse than the natal. I read on the xbox 360 general discussion forum on AD that the natal is great (they played it at E3).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Sep 2009 @ 4:54

925.9.2009 9:06

The wand has two motion sensors, three axes gyroscope and three axes accelerometer that can detect the controller's angle and movement held in the user's hand, uses Bluetooth and can be tracked by the Eye Camera. Simular to the Wii except has improved tracking "IR bar vs Camera"

I however dont care if it is better than the Wii or Natil, I have no plans on buying it. The Wii got boaring very quick. Sony and MS would have to come up with some awesomely inspiring games to get me interested.

On subject, glad for Sony.

1025.9.2009 9:10

Originally posted by chris4160:
Originally posted by Jaussi:
And who exactly is your source?

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Originally posted by Jaussi:
5 million natals in first month? I seriously doubt that

So far there's about 31m xbox's out there, by the time natal is released there should be about 40m+ consoles. Five million is one sixth of the current xbox 360 owners, with the advertising campaign microsoft will roll out and the amount of xbox live activity there will be so much hype around natal people won't be able to resist. Personally I don't like the wii simply because I play video games to relax after work, but I will be buying natal as soon as it is released because I will want to try it out.

Originally posted by kyo28:
That's a very optimistic number, at best.
Why is that optimistic? How would you know that it is going to be any less than 5m? You don't (neither do I). I'm simply placing an informed prediction from what I've heard and read.

Originally posted by Jaussi:
And don't forget that PS3 Wand is coming out too. And the way I see it, for gaming purposes some kind of controller is a good thing, and I just can't believe that Project Natal could be as accurate as wand when it comes to small movements.
Wand is just a copy off the wii controller. Natal is aswell, but atleast microsoft got rid of the main idea, a controller. Natal is a really good idea, yes it is just the Eye Toy with depth sensing, but afterall:
Originally posted by by a ps3 fanboy in a prior news article argument:
companies do not "steal" ideas, they borrow them and improve on them
Originally posted by kyo28:
Does it matter? I think as long as the PS3 sales are strong, it's a good thing for Sony, regardless of how well (or poorly) another console does.
Yes it does matter. PS3 might have sold 25m units, but compared to the wii that's really bad. PS3 sales might be strong right now, but that does not mean that will continue.

Originally posted by Jaussi:
just can't believe that Project Natal could be as accurate as wand when it comes to small movements.
Have you ever played the wii? If the wand is anything like the wii remote it will be worse than the natal. I read on the xbox 360 general discussion forum on AD that the natal is great (they played it at E3).
VGChartz? Not even worth it. VGChartz has been proven wrong so many times and is known to change their estimated numbers AFTERWARD to cover up how off they where. Plus MS pads their install base by using SHIPPED to retail (Sell-IN) numbers not SOLD to consumers (Sell-TROUGH) like Nintendo & Sony have for the last 4+ years Source 1 Source 2 Source 3 Source 4 Source 5

I also agree with you Jaussi & kyo28 that 5 Million "Natal" sales in one month is not gonna happen. It'll be lucky to sell that many in a year.

As for the PSWand being a copy of the Wiimote that is incorrect. I have posted this before but here it is again so as to clear up any misinformation ~

Quote:
"The EyeToy was originally devised by Dr. Richard Marks, who had the idea of connecting a web camera to a PlayStation 2 and using it as a peripheral to play video games. The idea of using cameras in games was not new, as it was previously used in many arcade games and toys such as the Game Boy Camera and the Dreameye digital camera for the Sega Dreamcast, the latter of which affected the development of the EyeToy; however, with the resolution of modern cameras and the processing power of the PlayStation 2 new ideas were possible that were not achievable on the Game Boy. The idea was taken up by SCE London Studio, ****who showed a concept in 2002**** with four games"

Source

Here are some additional videos showing how Natal doesn't do anything more than what the EyeToy already has done and show that the inclusion/implementation of a controller was set along time ago as well ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L17O43X39cg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpNdkm9s8AY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzNJwk9Z4ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ntXrdBDuPg

Now just add this old video to the mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80VWGjWYWd4 and it shows even more capabilities that the PS Eye can do RIGHT NOW....So lets use our imagination for a second ~ this plus the motion control would make a pretty damned good FPS experience with technology Sony has innovated with since 2002 (7 YEARS AGO!).

And here is some newer stuff ~

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/1...laystation-eye/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4d5anfjnA

Below is Dr. Richard Marks talking about new directions in interface design PRE-Wiimote ~

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/584/584744p1.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNacU1LpkNs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V6fPP9DiBw - 1 minute in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpNdkm9s8AY


Sony motion control from 2005 ~ http://www.joystiq.com/2005/10/03/sony-h...d-in-the-works/
Sony Hand Controller ~ http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/04/13/vr-controller-for-your-ps3/

Chris I don't know who specifically or where they/you got your information that the PS3 Motion Control is as inaccurate as the Wii's. It has been shown & proven to be SUB MILLIMETER accurate, I think you should take some time to look over some of the videos I have posted for clarification about that. Because currently Natal is anything BUT accurate ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDzXqK4fh-A


I also find it extremely hard to believe you don't think that PS3 sales will continue/sustain from now through just after Christmas even leading up into March with the release of God Of War 3 & GT5.

I do understand your opinions Chris but to be honest some of them are based off of old misinformation and should be rethought.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Sep 2009 @ 9:18

1125.9.2009 11:34

FF13 very soon aswell :D


wow i ask one small question because i am curious, i didnt know it would snowball like this LOL.

i'll keep my mouth shut for next time.

1225.9.2009 12:15

...not to mention Uncharted 2. I can see the wave holding at a steady rate through October and then spiking again from mid-November through December.

I'm drooling over Uncharted 2 :P Used my last 2 Amazon credits to pre-order it for $26! Woot!

1325.9.2009 12:26

Originally posted by chris4160:
Wand is just a copy off the wii controller. Natal is aswell, but atleast microsoft got rid of the main idea, a controller. Natal is a really good idea, yes it is just the Eye Toy with depth sensing, but afterall:
Originally posted by by a ps3 fanboy in a prior news article argument:
companies do not "steal" ideas, they borrow them and improve on them

Wow, you can go get your head checked bud. One, that quote was made by me. Second, you compensated and agreed with that comment, and you know it. There is nothing wrong with what I said as it is evidential fact, and calling me a fanboy is now getting to the point where you're offending people for the hell of offending people.

You're REALLY starting to get on my nerves with your BS.


1425.9.2009 15:10

Originally posted by rvinkebob:
Originally posted by chris4160:
Wand is just a copy off the wii controller. Natal is aswell, but atleast microsoft got rid of the main idea, a controller. Natal is a really good idea, yes it is just the Eye Toy with depth sensing, but afterall:
Originally posted by by a ps3 fanboy in a prior news article argument:
companies do not "steal" ideas, they borrow them and improve on them

Wow, you can go get your head checked bud. One, that quote was made by me. Second, you compensated and agreed with that comment, and you know it. There is nothing wrong with what I said as it is evidential fact, and calling me a fanboy is now getting to the point where you're offending people for the hell of offending people.

You're REALLY starting to get on my nerves with your BS.
Noted rvinkebob.

1525.9.2009 16:17

*wipes tears of laughter away so can see what i write* this has to be a 1st,being offended at being called a fanboy *strains to hold back even more tears*,life can be so cruel can't it rvinkebob :p

The PS3 sales will more than likely drop off after xmas until then they will more than likely get stronger,which is to be expected,same goes for the others,that said it'll be a while before i buy a PS3 & get meself another 360,yeah $299 nz sounds good

1625.9.2009 20:39
chris4160
Inactive

Originally posted by rvinkebob:
Wow, you can go get your head checked bud.
Who the edited by moderator do you think you are to tell me that I've got something wrong with me? I've got news for you bud, this is the internet, you don't go around and start telling people they are mentally ill. I will be reporting your post and if Varnull got a 1 month ban for accusing Oner of being a sony employee you should get a permanent ban. You have got no idea how offensive that was. I was right when I called you a fanboy, look at yourself, you are calling people retarded because of a game console FFS.

And for the record, I do not care if I get on your "nerves". And I do not care if I get banned for this post, this WILL be my last post on the news discussion, there is no point in arguing with idiots like you.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Sep 2009 @ 21:31

1725.9.2009 21:09

Originally posted by chris4160:
Who the fuck do you think you are to tell me that I've got something wrong with me? I've got news for you bud, this is the internet, you don't go around and start telling people they are mentally ill. I will be reporting your post and if Varnull got a 1 month ban for accussing Oner of being a sony employee you should get a permanent ban. You have got no idea how offensive that was. I was right when I called you a fanboy, look at yourself, you are calling people retarded because of a game console FFS.

And for the record, I do not care if I get on your "nerves". And I do not care if I get banned for this post, this WILL be my last post on the news discussion, there is no point in arguing with idiots like you.
You missed the point, took it as an implication, contradicted yourself several times, and even took your point against me and twisted it, all in one post. If you want me to support this, just ask. Otherwise I'd take up the entire page, when all I did was attempt to get your attention to NOT bring me into a post I never intended replying to, by replacing my name with something pathetic to masquerade.

You want me to get a perma-ban? Fine, so long as you go down with me as I'm laughing too. Oh, and don't respond to this comment made by a so called "idiot". I have a feeling the stingers coming my way, but aD's been a good run.


1825.9.2009 21:19

No one is going to get a perma ban. At the most the both of you would only get a 2 day temp for what has been going on in here. So drop it the both of you, okay?


1925.9.2009 21:23

i LOL at both of you. fighting so much over a console...

its funny for us observers xD

2025.9.2009 21:27
chris4160
Inactive

Originally posted by Oner:
No one is going to get a perma ban. At the most the both of you would only get a 2 day temp for what has been going on in here. So drop it the both of you, okay?
It's dropped. But I don't understand how you could grant a 1 month ban for someone accusing you of being employed by sony yet I blatantly get called a retard and at most a 2 day ban? "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
i LOL at both of you. fighting so much over a console...

its funny for us observers xD
I think it went past game consoles when I got accused of being mentally ill, don't you?

And for the record this post has been edited to prevent future implications.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Sep 2009 @ 21:45

2125.9.2009 22:09

there is a difference between attacking a moderator and a non mod.




MGR (Micro Gaming Rig) .|. Intel Q6600 @ 3.45GHz .|. Asus P35 P5K-E/WiFi .|. 4GB 1066MHz Geil Black Dragon RAM .|. Samsung F60 SSD .|. Corsair H50-1 Cooler .|. Sapphire 4870 512MB .|. Lian Li PC-A70B .|. Be Queit P7 Dark Power Pro 850W PSU .|. 24" 1920x1200 DGM (MVA Panel) .|. 24" 1920x1080 Dell (TN Panel) .|.

2226.9.2009 2:08

Quote:
No one is going to get a perma ban. At the most the both of you would only get a 2 day temp for what has been going on in here. So drop it the both of you, okay?

It's dropped. But I don't understand how you could grant a 1 month ban for someone accusing you of being employed by sony yet I blatantly get called a retard and at most a 2 day ban? "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

i LOL at both of you. fighting so much over a console...

its funny for us observers xD

I think it went past game consoles when I got accused of being mentally ill, don't you?

And for the record this post has been edited to prevent future implications.
Oner said to drop it did he not?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Sep 2009 @ 2:08

2326.9.2009 10:19

Thank You DVDBack...I know should leave it alone but I feel have to add this to make something abundantly clear ~

Chris, you don't know what you are talking about, your example is taken out of context to make your point seem valid when it is not in order to try and get someone in trouble. I really do suggest you mind your business when it comes to the administrative duties/actions of aD.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Sep 2009 @ 10:22

2426.9.2009 19:16

The difference between Natal and the PS3 slim?

Natal is a gimmick add on, the PS3 is a console.

It's not a fanboy statement to say the PS3 slim will sell better than a gimmick add-on on a system that is, graphically and hardware inferior to the PS3. I wouldn't waste my money on natal because after owning my PS3 and playing online for free, i refuse to pay for Live!. And after watching BD movies and playing games in 1080p HD, I refuse to lower myself to the SD format the dated 360 pumps out.

Face it the 360 sold because Sony overpriced the PS3. It's the only reason the 360 was a solid sales champ over the PS3. And it's the only reason the Wii beats them both. Now that the PS3 came down the 360 has no edge over the system at all. To make excuses or bring up Natal is just a desperate excuse to just not accept that things are about to change, and 360 has long since passed it's peak.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive