Mitsubishi shows off 155-inch OLED HDTV

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 10 Oct 2009 13:32 User comments (8)

Mitsubishi shows off 155-inch OLED HDTV Mitsubishi has unveiled a 155-inch OLED TV this week at the CEATEC 2009 event in Japan, showcasing one of the largest displays ever for OLED.
Mainichi Japan says the "OLED display consists of 720 10-centimeter-square OLED blocks that can be rearranged to change the dimensions of the display using Mitsubishi's Aurora Vision LED screens at baseball stadiums."

The screen is also about three times brighter than any current LCD TV. Lifespan is about 200,000 hours.

Being that the OLED blocks are so small means Mitsubishi can create a TV of any size, ranging from the now standard 15-inch TVs to infinity.

Topics HDTV

More news

Related news

110.10.2009 14:08

Who needs a TV that is 3 times brighter? Unless you want to burn your eyes out...LOL But I guess the brighter it is, the more it will be visible in brightly lit areas.

Also, if the lifespan of the screen is 200,000 hours, what is the lifespan of a regular LCD TV? (I know that I can just google the information, but a having a ball park estimate alongside the OLED estimate would be convenient.)

210.10.2009 14:20

based in the size, i would tend to think it is geared towards outdoor commercial operations whereby it would greatly benefit being three times brighter where daylight often washes away video

310.10.2009 16:40

I can only imagine the price on this. It's nice to see OLED's this large, now LG, Sony and others have no excuses for taking 3 more years to make an 32in OLED.

410.10.2009 16:55

Originally posted by mike.m:

that my friend is exactly what i was thinking last tyhing i remember reading about how promising the OLED is i remembered them mentioning the 2 big flaws in the tech: lifespan and size
this article blew me away because
a)they said it would take 3 years to make a 32 inch OLED (we now see how full of BS they were..155..holy sh..i mean cow)
b)they said the lifespan would be like 5-15 (ballpark) but by my calculations (200,000 hr divided into 24 hours divided into 365 days) it has a lifespan of almost 23 years which is more than enough.

510.10.2009 19:04

Originally posted by mike.m:

this article blew me away because
Yea, and that's just 23 years of continuous operation, that's assuming you NEVER turned it off. Let's say you only have it on 8 hours a day, you're talking roughly 69 years lifespan, and even at 12 hours a day, 46 years. Depending on how old you are, that tv may out live you.

611.10.2009 1:24

Originally posted by mike.m:

this article blew me away because
yeah especially if your main meal just happens to be fried chicken and 24 years of watching a 155inch OLED.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Oct 2009 @ 1:25

Powered By

711.10.2009 9:44

lol i kinda forgot about food shower or sex :P so yeah it might just outlive me depending how lucky id get in my future sky-dives :P

88.1.2010 23:02
zorb43

Originally posted by mike.m:

this article blew me away because
The screen actually looks rather larger than it actually is in that picture.The two asian ladies are very small and short and the stand that the T.V. rests on is very big and tall. I know I could get that thing into my house and T.V. room without a whole lot of trouble; that is of course if I could get past my wife pointing an icepick toward me. Hahahah .... Thanks.

Latest user comments