Motorola Droid to be unveiled officially on October 28th

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 22 Oct 2009 14:18 User comments (8)

Motorola Droid to be unveiled officially on October 28th Verizon has made it clear today that the highly anticipated Motorola Droid Android smartphone will begin shipping next month, after an official unveiling on October 28th.
Press packages were sent out that include a remote control R2D2 droid (from the Star Wars films) holding a card that reads "11.09" and the Moto Droid teaser site.

The device will have a 3.7-inch screen, run a TI OMAP3430 processor, a full slide-out QWERTY keypad, and a 5MP camera.

Here are some preliminary pics from BGR:

122.10.2009 23:11

I can't wait for this...finaly a good phone from Verizon. If it comes with the R2-D2, that would be cool too.

223.10.2009 0:37

Does any one know if this is true that Lucas has the word Droid copyrighted ?

323.10.2009 2:43
maomao001

SPAM removed

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Oct 2009 @ 5:26

423.10.2009 4:25

Originally posted by ydkjman:
Does any one know if this is true that Lucas has the word Droid copyrighted ?
He does, though he rarely cracks down on other people using it, unless it is something crummy that he wants to prevent (the orriginal title for "Battletech" was "BattleDroids", George stopped this if only to delay production of this terrible program). It seems clear from the R2-D2 promotion that he (or at least Lucas Arts) are involved anyway, so not much fear of a lawsuit here.

523.10.2009 9:52

I was wondering because I signed up for the email to receive updates about it when it becomes available and at the bottom of the email it says

DROID is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license.

623.10.2009 22:35

hahaha that was a pretty funny comercial it reminds me of the "sega does what nintendon't" comercials

724.10.2009 0:19

Originally posted by TBandit:
Yeah, that was a great commercial...I was just reading some Asimov and I had a terrible thought: if apple ever made a Robot, it would be called the "iRobot".

827.10.2009 15:28

Well.... This is amazing. The phone that can [maybe] beat iPhone on my carrier. I'm with Cricket, so it shouldn't take too long for the first few folks to figure out how to move this phone over. I'm even more hopeful that being a non-brew-dependant OS, I might actually be able to use the GPS functios(Sorely missing on my Cricket-hacked LG Dare).

I'll be watching this one closely, looks like an amazing piece of equipment!